Installed "new" engine...no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Timing was 180 out. Still no start, but I verified TDC.

I'll verify spark, then start hooking everything back up.

Fuel cut switch hooked up yet?

If a fireball can be seen belching out the carb, the spark plugs are firing while the cylinders are still on their intake stroke and the intake valve hasn't closed yet - so the explosion goes out the way it came in - out the intake port to the carb.
Spark is occurring too early

In an effort to actually listen to advice for once, I've ordered a bunch of vacuum hose and caps from McMaster. Going to attempt to rig everything up properly and try again.

Anyone have a spare stud for the top of the carb to air cleaner laying around? Mine seems to have disappeared.

In an effort to actually listen to advice for once, I've ordered a bunch of vacuum hose and caps from McMaster. Going to attempt to rig everything up properly and try again.

Anyone have a spare stud for the top of the carb to air cleaner laying around? Mine seems to have disappeared.
Just pull one and head to an Ace. They’ll have something to match.

If a fireball can be seen belching out the carb, the spark plugs are firing while the cylinders are still on their intake stroke and the intake valve hasn't closed yet - so the explosion goes out the way it came in - out the intake port to the carb.
Spark is occurring too early

Never trust a mechanic with no eyebrows.

Completely ignored the advice...because I hate vacuum.

Played with the distributor. It was clocked a few degrees (ok...quite a few degrees) and trying to fire #4 when it should have been on #1. Reset to TDC(ish) and clocked distributor. It started and ran for a bit!

Now I do need to finalize vacuum hoses for desmog, reconnect throttle linkage, and hook up all accessories and cooling system.

Then a gloriously triumphant test drive!

Thanks for the help guys... I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as this has drug on so long I've forgotten what I've done and where things go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom