installed a oil seperator on my 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

93yotasr5

Come and take it
Threads
had it on my mustang, before i ended up putting everything back to stock. it kept a decent amount of oil from recirculating back into the upper plenum. took me about 5 minutes. i used an oil seperator from lowes, and i used two barbed fittings to connect the hoses. i put a new pcv valve in while i was at it.
377df788.jpg

1e8e99e5.jpg

Nice work on the catch can here. You are going to be amazed at how much cleaner your intake manifolds and your throttle body will be.

I've been using $2.99 fuel filters from Wally world for this same purpose for a few years now. I just throw a new one in every oil change.

A very interesting idea.

How long has it been in place? Also how much oil has it collected?

been on my 80 for about 45 minutes. havent driven it yet. it did collect a boatload from the mustang it was on before.

Nice. Well keep us posted. I will be interested in how this goes.

How much did the parts cost for this?

I have one on mine too. Seems to work well. Just drain it every oil change.

1217dce9.jpg

9bce80d1.jpg

Last edited:
i will for sure.
the oil seperator was 8
the hose was 3
the barbed fittings were 4
and i had the new hose clamps in my toolbox.
total of $15

word^
nice setup though!

Cusious of doing this on the 3FE. I have a question though, there are two hoses that connect to the valve cover and intake. One is the PCV of course, what the other for? Why install only on the PCV line? I would search on my FSM cd but thats at the shop.

Cusious of doing this on the 3FE. I have a question though, there are two hoses that connect to the valve cover and intake. One is the PCV of course, what the other for? Why install only on the PCV line? I would search on my FSM cd but thats at the shop.

You basically put the catch can in between the PCV valve and intake manifold. One hose goes from the PCV valve to the CC and the other goes from the CC to the intake port.

This is how it looks normally:

7c6388ae.jpg

Wish I knew about this before going and getting a new PCV hose from the dealer .... Guess I'll do this and keep the OEM as a "spare", LOL. Thing only has couple hundred miles on it.

Thanks for sharing !

Stupid question I guess, but what is suitable hose for this ? Never really knew the difference of what can or can't be used in certain applications under the hood.

i will for sure.
the oil seperator was 8
the hose was 3
the barbed fittings were 4
and i had the new hose clamps in my toolbox.
total of $15

Great common sense solution! Can the seperator be purchased at an auto parts store or does one get one at the hardware store like for a compressor line?

Most auto parts stores should have em, if they have a section for air compressors. In the mustang world, "steeda" makes a kit and it's the same as what I made but it's like 60$ after I made mine I saw one for 5$ at harbor freight.

Sorry for the stupid question but ,,,,,, Can someone explain what the benefits are to doing this? I'm lost.

Throttle cable looks great! Suprised Beno did not bank on that one! Thanks for posting this up, may fall into one of the best mods for under $100, and like Beno I am going to venture to wally world for the cheap, easy solution and splice a filter in place.

vAn

had it on my mustang, before i ended up putting everything back to stock. it kept a decent amount of oil from recirculating back into the upper plenum. took me about 5 minutes. i used an oil seperator from lowes, and i used two barbed fittings to connect the hoses. i put a new pcv valve in while i was at it.
377df788.jpg

1e8e99e5.jpg

Adding to my never ending 80 list.:rolleyes::D 93yotasr5, did you secure the separator in any way or is it just "hanging" there?:)

Sorry for the stupid question but ,,,,,, Can someone explain what the benefits are to doing this? I'm lost.

The PCV valve throws a lot of oil into the intake manifold. This combines with carbon that is drawn in through the EGR valve and builds up on the insides of the manifold. When I was doing my head gasket there was about 2mm of gunk on the runners.

Adding to my never ending 80 list.:rolleyes::D 93yotasr5, did you secure the separator in any way or is it just "hanging" there?:)

i zip tied the hose on the pcv side to the lift hook. thats all. its not going anywhere.

If you can mount it in a cool place it will condense better. Don't go mounting it by the exhaust manifold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom