installed a oil seperator on my 80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great idea! I'm definitely doing this after I powdercoat my valve cover and clean my intake mani.
Thank you

If you can mount it in a cool place it will condense better. Don't go mounting it by the exhaust manifold.

Good point. I will have to move mine when the second battery tray goes in. I'll try to find a place on the driver's side.

Have a part number for the lowes separator? All the HD and Lowes stores I find have air filters or regulators. I can find the nice oil separators for compressor setups for $100+ (commercial grade), but not the cheap ones. I tried an air filter (by accident) and they dont like vacuum, they were the cheap ones and relied on positive pressure in the canister to force the drain close.

Have a part number for the lowes separator? All the HD and Lowes stores I find have air filters or regulators. I can find the nice oil separators for compressor setups for $100+ (commercial grade), but not the cheap ones. I tried an air filter (by accident) and they dont like vacuum, they were the cheap ones and relied on positive pressure in the canister to force the drain close.

Elrup:

I found the same thing at Harbor Freight which IIRC that is where the original post said he purchased his. So, I bought a package of JB Weld and simply removed the spring loaded diaphram valve and filled and coated the hole with the JB. I did my install this weekend and it worked great.

One other find I made is that if you take the factory hose off, and cut it in the middle where you want the seperator to sit, turn the half that was attached to the intake around 180 degrees and you can use the factory molded bends and you won't have to buy any hose. :steer:

I realized this after I had already bought the hose. Oh well. I kept the factory hose for when I need to take the operator off for smog inspection ( they will visually fail you for it here in Cali)

I realized this after I had already bought the hose. Oh well. I kept the factory hose for when I need to take the operator off for smog inspection ( they will visually fail you for it here in Cali)

Hmm, good old California. Something which would reduce emissions will cause a fail of the Smog Check. Essentially this mod reduces the hydrocarbons (from blow-by) which are ingested by the engine. Not a huge amount, but everything counts.

:cheers:

Steve

I tried explaining to the smog yech when it was on the mustang. He said "the state of CA doesn't allow this."

93yotasr5...it has been a few weeks since you installed this mod, how is it work to date? Any pics with the oil/sludge it has collected?

I tried explaining to the smog yech when it was on the mustang. He said "the state of CA doesn't allow this."

I just smogged mine and the ref didn't even mention it. The truck passed with close to zero in all the categories, although it wasn't tested in a dyno due to being full time 4WD.

I need to find a new home for my can as the second battery tray is going where it is currently located. It's pretty bulky, so finding a suitable mounting location may be a challenge.

That's funny. U guess some smog guys are Nazis! It's a 50/50 chance then I suppose. It has collected about a 16th of the way full. Not enough to drain though. Better than going into the plenum

Elrup:

I found the same thing at Harbor Freight which IIRC that is where the original post said he purchased his. So, I bought a package of JB Weld and simply removed the spring loaded diaphram valve and filled and coated the hole with the JB. I did my install this weekend and it worked great.

One other find I made is that if you take the factory hose off, and cut it in the middle where you want the seperator to sit, turn the half that was attached to the intake around 180 degrees and you can use the factory molded bends and you won't have to buy any hose. :steer:

Appreciate the correction. I picked up one and plan on JBWelding the lower end. As far s the hose, I am just removing the factory hose and placing my separator in a bracket bolted on the firewall by the wiper motor. If I really get motivated, I may try to place it along the airfilter canister so the hoses look like they are meant to be that way.

Anyone have part or model numbers for the hardware store filters?

Kernal and to others who inquired. I am heading to Lowes a little later and if I find the right separator I will report back with brand and part #.

Thanks.

I put a rubber cap over the lower valve of my filter to stop the hissing and it seems to be working well. Is it something that needs to be more permanently sealed like some of you have done with JB?

Thanks

Last edited:
I sliced my new factory hose and reused it. Fits nicely.

Parts I used.
Kobalt 1/4" Mini Air Filter p/n221024 (79686-00169) $12.68
2x 3/8 Bard 1/4" MIP Hose Barb Adapter p/n27970 (48643-07449) $2.44 each
2pack #4 hose clamp p/n/62508 (35119-07404) $1.04
2011-03-13_11.20.29.jpg

Dang it anyway ERG80 beat me to it......I am to slow.

Parts I used.
Kobalt 1/4" Mini Air Filter p/n221024 (79686-00169) $12.68
2x 1/4 Bard 1/4" MIP Hose Barb Adapter p/n27970 (48643-07449) $2.32 each

As far as the deal on the bottom, I am going to seal it with a small bolt.

I will report later with pictures of my solution.

ERG80....how/what did you affix the separator to?

ERG80....how/what did you affix the separator to?

Nothing yet. The hoses seem to be sturdy enough until I can figure out a mounting bracket.

ERG80....the side of the hose coming from the valve cover is that going to the "in or "out" side of your Kobalt separator? Just want to make sure. Dumb question I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom