installed a oil seperator on my 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So a couple of post-install pics of my separator which is identical to ERG80's which he posted above.

I eliminated the brass nipple that is found at the bottom of this Kobalt unit. I replaced is which a very over engineered solution.

A M10-1.50 Class 8.8 bolt with a 7/16X1/16 rubber washer on the inside and a 7/16X1/16 rubber washer on the outside followed up with a M10-1.50 Class 8 Flanged Hen nut.

I will be the first to say it is obnoxious and way over kill. If I can find something more streamline I will replace it. But this will work in the mean time.
DSCN2778.jpg
DSCN2779.jpg

I think a possible solution which was mention above would be to fill that hole with JB Weld, thus sealing it completely. I just need to make another trip to the hardware store sometime and pick up new JB Weld.

ERG80....the side of the hose coming from the valve cover is that going to the "in or "out" side of your Kobalt separator? Just want to make sure. Dumb question I know.

Good eyes. Its facing the wrong way in the picture but I turned it correctly since then.

Here is my completed install...look forward to catching all that junk!
DSCN2780.jpg

Hey Runner my set up is the same as yours.
Been using it for about a year or so now.
You will be ammazed at what that can will catch.

PS
your brake fluid cap is off in the pic

kidglove13, Thank You!!! I took that off to remove excess fluid and totally forgot about...heading out to the garage NOW!

I tried explaining to the smog yech when it was on the mustang. He said "the state of CA doesn't allow this."

Mine passed CA smog with two oil catch cans on it. They never said anything.

You will still get oil in the throttle body and intake unless you add another catch can. The 2nd will go inbetween the hose from the left side of your valve cover to the throttle body.

2 cans will keep all oil out. After 11,000 miles my intake is oil free.

Here is the thread that I got the idea from.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/87788-project-carbon-control.html
I have the same cans as posted in post #2 and mounted as pictured in post #3. I have the PCV can on the DS and the valve cover to TB can on the PS.

I always drain at oil changes and get several ounces out of each with the PCV can always containg more oil.

Those cans are not cheap IIRC like $50-60 each
I will stick with my home depo cans, the one I have now on the pcv works great.
Will pick up another home depo special tomorrow and hook it up

just did the same this catch can mod and for the money its well worth it. As for the bottom, i use epoxy to glue it closed and it came out pretty good. gonna get another one for the other line.

looks good man. i ended up jb welding mine to make it nice and air tight

Yes I plan to JB Weld mine as well. The bolt setup is totally unnecessary and just stupid, but it works for the time.

On my 20 mile trip home from my folks place this evening, where I did the install, I already had a nice collection of oil (~1-2mm).

nice knowing that your keeping your plenum that much cleaner isnt it?!

Yes it is.

In the above discussion, they talk about installing one on the adjacent line coming from the passenger side of the valve cover to the throttle body...is that one as crucial as the PCV?

i dont thnk so. if anything id just use a small fuel filter. im pretty sure there isnt enough suction or pressure to force oil into the intake. dont quote me on that one though

No, it's not crucial especially on a non-blown 1FZFE but it does lead to a very small amount of oil into the TB vs the PCV side.

The problem is more prevalent on the breather tube with SuperCharged and Turboed 80's than with the normally aspirated ones. This is where the baffling on the inside of the AMW catch cans really makes a difference.

I bought one of these and was going to install it over the weekend but the 3FE has no room for it. My PCV hose is like 4" long. Any drawback to routing the PCV hose around the front of the intake instead of the rear. Thought about it and the only downside I can see is lengthening the hose like a foot and a half. What do you guys think?

Looks great ! a quick question though:

Do anyone here think the seperator might effect the pressure or the flow on that line ? Has anyone sxperienced any unusual codes after installation ?

:cheers:

Looks great ! a quick question though:

Do anyone here think the seperator might effect the pressure or the flow on that line ? Has anyone sxperienced any unusual codes after installation ?

:cheers:

No, I have not and mine has been installed for over a year now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom