Installation of 90 degree oil filter adapter on 1FZFE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, if this mod keeps the oil from draining back say overnight, would the dipstick show a quart low if you check it in the morning before starting?:confused:

bmwjnky: Won't work; two different adapters. The large hole for the hollow bolt in the first post is not compatible with the adapter in the last and vice versa, and one bolt has female threads, the other has male. The threaded pipes in both adapters appear to be pressed into the aluminum casting but either way that end isn't the problem, it's the hollow bolt that screws onto the threaded engine oil filter pipe, it must have female threads as in the first adapter.

FastCarGuy: I haven't noticed much change from a cold to warm engine; maybe slightly above the top full mark cold and right on the line after a fully warmed up engine has sat a few minutes.

Last edited:
Kernal said:
it must have female threads as in the first adapter.

Unless the threaded mount in the engine block is unscrewed to reveal female threads.

Haven't looked in a 1fz block, but many other toyotas have removable threaded inserts for mounting the filter. Most are matching 3/4 NF thread. A 12mm Allen wrench is often used to remove them, or sometimes a 22mm DEEEP socket.

That would open up more options for adapters.

I could certainly see how it would be useful in the world of charcoal canisters.

But living in the land of the emissions-free, and thus charcoal-freed, reaching that sideways thing is no problem.

Though the oil dribbling down over everything is kind of annoying...

I haven't yet removed a full filter but I expect some oil to dribble out from above the filter and down my arm when I unscrew it from below. There is the option of unscrewing the bolt that holds the adapter to the block and pulling the adapter and filter up and out as a unit, but even with that method some oil will likely burble down from above. I'll post up how much leaks out when I change that filter.

I haven't yet removed a full filter but I expect some oil to dribble out from above the filter and down my arm when I unscrew it from below. There is the option of unscrewing the bolt that holds the adapter to the block and pulling the adapter and filter up and out as a unit, but even with that method some oil will likely burble down from above. I'll post up how much leaks out when I change that filter.

Just have a rag over it, or better yet, slip a plastic bag over the entire filter before removing it. The bag will give you plenty of time to get out of the way of the remaining stream of oil.

This is about the only time I actually reach back into the trash can in the garage for stuff... plastic bags for oil filters. lol.

I usually stuff a wad of papertowels below the filter when it is in the horizontal position and working from above but will try the bag trick, should help as I will likely remove the filter from below while on my back.

Changed the filter for the first time; lying on my back and reaching up was able to loosen the filter easily, then stuffed a couple of papertowels in a plastic bag (as 86tuning mentioned above) and unscrewed the filter, lost maybe an ounce of oil (caught by the towels and bag). Next time I'll use a smaller bag; it started to get bunched up around the filter as I unscrewed it. Most of the leakage was because the filter is tilted slightly, the adapter being slightly off vertical. Photo below shows how the filter remains full which comes in handy if doing an engine oil analysis in between oil changes, I poured what was in the filter into a sample bottle. FWIW.
DSC02433.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: KTP
Kernal, good report.

Recently I was at a friends shop and he had a 99 Navigator on the lift.

I noticed that it had a Remote filter mount that had the filter in the driver's side wheel well..

May be another option.

This is something I have thought about. Looks good. You could punch a hole in the filter to drain the oil before removal.

Awesome find. Thank you.

Adding this mod to the ever-growing list.

Just got my adapter in. Going to grind away the stupid Ford logo then its going in to get anodized. After looking a the insert, it does need to be deburred. Will do that this weekend. Here are the pics and will post up what the anodized part looks like.

In the top photo of post two you can just see that there are sharp edges (90 degree angles) of the slot where the oil flows into the large hole in the center of the casting then into the bolt. At some point I plan to pull the adapter to radius/smooth out the edges of that slot also. FWIW.

Last edited:
In the top photo of post two you can just see that there are sharp edges (90 degree angles) of the slot where the oil flows into the large hole in the center of the casting then into the bolt. At some point I plan to pull the adapter to radius/smooth out the edges of that slot also. FWIW.

I already deburred the mount itself. The insert gets done later.

I need one of these, though sometimes I can get the old one off sideways with a bag and paper towels and not make a huge mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom