Info needed, mysterious FJ 43 ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.vintagewheelsegypt.com
Hello TLC people,

I have just bought a 1979 TLC FJ 43. The good thing is it has its original 2F engine but interestingly she has a 3 Speed manual trans on the floor which makes her pre 74 but then again she has a 2F. Any clues anyone??

I am begining restoration as we speak the engine is in great condition but the steering box needs to be changed, all ball joints, needs also 2 new shocks in front, new alternator, a few filters and a rear diff plug. Mechanically she is worthy, but sadly the body needs alot of work, lots of rust under the hinges and even in many parts of the chassis, I plan to sand blast the chassis after finishing the mechanical work.

First Mechanical and Under-Carriage work
2nd Electrics
3rd Body and Soft Top
or does anyone suggest otherwise ?

I plan to keep this baby for life, OME in the near future, Roll Bar, Extra tanks and lots of mods to count. All in time...

Sand Dunes & Classics for Life
IH8Mud.jpg
IH8Mud rear.jpg
IH8Mud trailer.jpg

Sqaure bezel and graphics would make it 79....the 3 spd ???? probably changed out sometime in its 30 year life.
Nice score on that 43 its a rare beauty,you can get a new top from Eshan in Pakistan he does nice tops.

Since you are new here, a couple of suggestions:

Find the serial number stamped into the right outer front frame just behind the bumper and let us know.

That number can be referenced to the year of the frame.
If the truck has not been too modified, likely the body would match the same year.

There also should be a factory plate pop-riveted originally on the firewall upper right side.
Let us also know all the info from that.
It would tell engine info and how the truck was originally equipped.

Look for the gas tank UNDER the vehicle, NOT under the passenger seat (you probably have a LHD truck originally delivered to the Middle East). This gas tank location indicates a 1979 or later vehicle.

There are many other items that can indicate the year of the truck, but over the years previous owners can and will, either add or delete items that can confuse even the experts.

My guess is that you probably have a true 1979 truck, which came with a 2F engine, and that somewhere along the line, someone had to replace the transmission, and only had the three-speed version to do the job. Be prepared to find other replacements as you go through your truck.

I remembered reading some where on line, that some export market 40 series land cruisers kept the 3-spd trans through the end of the run. this was due to the simplicfity of rebuilding the 3-spd in the field. The only mention of this I could find was on this web page. LC40 I'll keep looking for more info.

square bezel, but...weird shape never seen one like that before. Custom bezel?

Nice score!

That frame number is NOT a 1979 FJ43 frame number.

The first 1979 FJ43 was serialled FJ43 0060506.

The oldest factory serial number I have in my literature is number FJ43 0058627 which was manufactured during August 1978. At the rate they were building them back then, yours is likely a 1977 frame.

Perhaps a later model body with the underslung gas tank was fitted onto the earlier frame--I understand the mount points however are not in the same locations.
You might check the frame for welding indicating changed frame mounts to accommodate the later body.

If the later body was added to the earlier frame, you cannot rely on any body items to identify the vehicle's original year. Most people identify the truck's model year from the frame date, not the date of any body later put onto that frame. I am not certain how your country identifies a vehicle's age; perhaps they see things from a different perspective..

I am guessing you will not fine the firewall plate.

If things were not switched all around on your truck, the original firewall plate would have the same serial number as is on the frame itself. It would also show which engine and transmission and axle ratios were built into that original truck. It would also show which plant in Japan built the truck. It might indicate original color as well.

Is that an aftermarket or pto winch under the cover? Very cool cruiser!

Do you know any of the history of this particular truck? Do you know the country where it originally was imported to? Who determined that it is a 1979 truck and told you that information? Paper documents are ultimately just that--paper--and often cannot be totally relied upon. Sometimes little bits of information can really help provide an answer.

In looking at your photos, the gas tank filler flap on your body is not the later side hinged flap from 1979 and up vehicles. The bezel is not original, and the parking lamps likely were also switched at some point.

What is puzzling is the gas tank location. The trucks before 1979 had a gas tank under the passenger seat, and thus the seats were sitting up on frames above the flat floor. On the 1979 and up models, the seats were mounted to a revised floor which rose up under the seats to make room for the gas tank then placed under the floor.

Do you have a photo of the area under your passenger seat? Is it raised up, or is the floor flat, with a depression to hold the original under-seat gas tank? I suppose someone could have grafted a later model floor to an earlier body. Curious.

Stupid me, I just read you said the tank is under the seat.
Oh well, disregard what I have written.
My apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom