INFAMOUS 80 Series TLC CrawlerBox/Transfercase FAQ (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you mean this one
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/584392-1995-fzj80-5-3-4l60e-np203-splitcase-swap-5.html

I've been thinking for this for a while and just decided to pull the 6.2 diesel/700R4/np 203 out of my 84 suburban. Then a AA to add a split case and in it goes..... hopeful start time will be Jan. 2013

Oh really? That will be a badass setup :D

Don't put in a 6.2...That's an anemic motor...

Not compared to a nutless 3FE driving the huge XMLs lt1fire currently has on his truck.

It is a bad ass set-up. 80s were made to have LS motors in them. It's a perfect fit and the power makes these trucks drive like they should - WITH AUTHORITY.

:steer:

You could easily say that about an FJ40.

It is a bad ass set-up. 80s were made to have LS motors in them. It's a perfect fit and the power makes these trucks drive like they should - WITH AUTHORITY.

:steer:

No, I was talking about lt1fire putting the 6.2, 700r4, 203 and split case into his 80. LS motors are cool, but diesels are much cooler:cool:

Does it have a turbo, at least? If not, he's missing a great opportunity to swap in a motor with power.

Oh really? That will be a badass setup :D

Not compared to a nutless 3FE driving the huge XMLs lt1fire currently has on his truck.

How much power does the 3FE have?
Here are the 6.2 specs. Not very impressive. I've driven one in a chevy truck with stock tires. Not very impressive.

• Engine RPO Codes: LH6 ('C' series, with EGR) and LL4 ('J' series)
  • Displacement: 6.2L / 379 cu in
  • Bore x Stroke: 3.98 × 3.80 in (101 × 97 mm)
  • Block / Head: Cast iron / Cast iron
  • Aspiration: Natural
  • Valvetrain: OHV 2-V
  • Compression: 21.5:1
  • Injection: Indirect
  • Horsepower / Torque (at start): 130 hp (97 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 240 lb·ft (325 N·m) @ 2,000 rpm
  • Horsepower / Torque (at final): 143 hp (107 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 257 lb·ft (348 N·m) @ 2,000 rpm
  • Horsepower / Torque (army): 165 hp (123 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 330 lb·ft (447 N·m) @ 2,100 rpm
  • Max RPMs: 3,600
  • Idle RPMs: 650 + or - 25

How much power does the 3FE have?
Here are the 6.2 specs. Not very impressive. I've driven one in a chevy truck with stock tires. Not very impressive.

• Engine RPO Codes: LH6 ('C' series, with EGR) and LL4 ('J' series)
  • Displacement: 6.2L / 379 cu in
  • Bore x Stroke: 3.98 × 3.80 in (101 × 97 mm)
  • Block / Head: Cast iron / Cast iron
  • Aspiration: Natural
  • Valvetrain: OHV 2-V
  • Compression: 21.5:1
  • Injection: Indirect
  • Horsepower / Torque (at start): 130 hp (97 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 240 lb·ft (325 N·m) @ 2,000 rpm
  • Horsepower / Torque (at final): 143 hp (107 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 257 lb·ft (348 N·m) @ 2,000 rpm
  • Horsepower / Torque (army): 165 hp (123 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 330 lb·ft (447 N·m) @ 2,100 rpm
  • Max RPMs: 3,600
  • Idle RPMs: 650 + or - 25

I expected those numbers to be a bit higher. The 3FE should be about 155hp and 200-210lb/ft from the factory. The 3FE is not very impressive either, although I've never driven a 'sub with a 6.2 so I have no basis for comparison.

I wonder how those 6.2s do with forced induction.

With a turbo they'd probably be okay, but there are better and easier options.

but there are better and easier options.

Better yes... easier ? How could it get much easier than something so similar to a SBC ?

I drive a 90 suburban with 6.2 everyday... Yes it will not snap your neck back when you mash the pedal, but it goes, and it feels like it has enough torque to pull a house down... I had basically the same suburban with a 350 years ago and they both tow a cruiser wagon about the same... 75 at the bottom of the hill and 50 at the top...

I have a 85 6.2 out of a CUCV with 22k on it that will be going in my 60 as soon as i collect a couple more big $ parts... i'm looking forward to getting the swap done and getting better mpg... If i can get the same power or better in the 60 as the surburban has i think it will be a nice upgrade...

I have read a lot about the 6.2's and know they have some downfalls... The motor is considered mild duty and is really on the lower power side for a 4wd suburban, but in a 60 that is probably at least 1k lighter i think it will be a nice improvement... I'm not looking for a bunch of HP, just a little better economy and torque than my old 2f...

just my .02
:cheers:

With a turbo they'd probably be okay, but there are better and easier options.

Better yes... easier ? How could it get much easier than something so similar to a SBC ?

I was speaking of swapping a sbc in versus putting a turbo on a 6.2 to get the same power.

If you are after mpg, that's fine. I just like to have a major improvement in power and joy of driving if I am going to go through the work of a motor swap.

My dad had an '83 Suburban with the 6.2L diesel in it all while I was growing up. Non-turbo it is/was a complete dog, but with a Banks turbo on it it pulled nicely. I loved that truck, he hated it (had to replace the engine, it leaked oil everywhere, and he had to rebuild the 700r4 about 7 times (no joke)), so he sold it when I was about 16. Oh well.

Long story short - the 6.2 needs a turbo, and then it's got decent power. It would get 24mpg with the overdrive tranny too. We could make it from Denver to Omaha on one tank of fuel :D

Not to clog this up with more 6.2 tech but my reasons for doing it are..... the parts are free as they will be coming out of my suburban. I'll be doing the work myself of slave labor of friends ;)

All I have to buy is the adapter.

So cost is down. My mpg will go up and I may actually drive it without having to mortgage the house to pay for the gas.

I can run bio and the WVO that I run in my mercedes diesel.

It's a diesel so it is cool.

It will have that great diesel sound.

I DD a 6.2 suburban that weighs more than my 80 and it has plenty of useable power..... yes I can turbo it at a future date and most likely will.

The lower power will keep wear and tear on my LC parts to a minimum.

I love LS motors and have had many LS powered cars.... few with over 500Hp 1 with over 600 HP but it is not what I want in a 6000k truck.

Not to clog this up with more 6.2 tech but my reasons for doing it are..... the parts are free as they will be coming out of my suburban. I'll be doing the work myself of slave labor of friends ;)

All I have to buy is the adapter.

So cost is down. My mpg will go up and I may actually drive it without having to mortgage the house to pay for the gas.

I can run bio and the WVO that I run in my mercedes diesel.

It's a diesel so it is cool.

It will have that great diesel sound.

I DD a 6.2 suburban that weighs more than my 80 and it has plenty of useable power..... yes I can turbo it at a future date and most likely will.

The lower power will keep wear and tear on my LC parts to a minimum.

I love LS motors and have had many LS powered cars.... few with over 500Hp 1 with over 600 HP but it is not what I want in a 6000k truck.

x2...

So is there any toyota transfer case with a right hand output that will work with the A340F?

edit..

I realize this is probably the wrong thread to ask the question, but in my search for info this one came up, My brain is a bit wobbly from reading about transmissions and things attached to them.

Last edited:
Hardly the thread ending solution I thought it would be from reading the first couple of posts. It doesn't fit in an 80 unless you go 5.7/4l60e and then you can go with a 203 for less than half of $2500 for the black box. It is a nice product, no question, but no panacea.

Another thought on a "Bolt-On" gear reduction solution over a entire drivetrain swap.

The concept seems to be a regional one. For states with extremely strict emissions laws and having to deal a referee of some other BS overall cost for a street driven/hardcore, the "Bolt-On" solution may be the cheaper/easier route. Some states allow for sensible engine swaps that allow for more gearing options.

Though my rig is registered in Mississippi, I do live in California and may eventually have to fully register it here, limiting what modifications/options I have. I am sure there are others that live in similarly restrictive states that would love the seemingly simpler/cheaper engine swap option. This really screws with the demand/marketability of what a vender may or may not see as profitable.

Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom