INFAMOUS 80 Series TLC CrawlerBox/Transfercase FAQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just a copy of the items from AU.

:meh:

Gotcha...but half the price?

The gears are nice, but there is, or starting to be anyways, a (small) market for transmission swaps. The A440 is okay stock, but several of us diesel boys have modded our 1HDT's now, and the transmission is a very weak link now. Even the stock 5 speeds are apprently have clutch slippage issues after modifying turbos and fuel input.
So something more robust, with a lower first gear, would be "the cats meow".
Does anyone know of any NV4500's that have been swapped into an 80?

The gears are nice, but there is, or starting to be anyways, a (small) market for transmission swaps. The A440 is okay stock, but several of us diesel boys have modded our 1HDT's now, and the transmission is a very weak link now. Even the stock 5 speeds are apprently have clutch slippage issues after modifying turbos and fuel input.
So something more robust, with a lower first gear, would be "the cats meow".
Does anyone know of any NV4500's that have been swapped into an 80?

A couple... one member in Canada that put one behind a 6bt cummins diesel comes to mind.

Here I is, rolll out the red carpet!

The NV4500HD (HD for the diesel version of it) is a great trans.

Until around 97 they kept first gear a granny low, and its got a overdrive fifth (.73) to keep the revs sane for highway and a low revving diesel engine.

Ill post a link to an old thread in a minute here... This will have a couple pictures, but I used a split case and an AA adapter to the NV4500. I had a part time converted case and an a440 with a custom torque converter before, but sold the trans and t-case to help pay for the AA adapter.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/407556-codys-slow-white-80-re-build.html

The only thing I dont like is the cost of oil for the NV

Last edited:
Advance Adapters has an 95/97 80 series drive train at their shop, I have been in some lengthy discussions with them about getting an adapter developed for it. Their main focus right now is the 4spd Atlas with it's design revisions. Perhaps when they are finished with that project I can try to get them back onto the project, I think a 2spd is enough for an 80 series, a 4spd might be pushing it in relation to the gas tank location.

Considering the 80 series rear axle is only offset by 4" to the passenger side the center output on the Atlas will have little affect on driveline issues.

I just spoke to them and I will have to side with Dusty's comment below. Not looking like it's happening, but twist an arm or two if need be.

yank it

AA is not going to do the atlas for the 80. even if they did they would sell like 10. i have wasted so much time on the phone with them

and the marks box is not worthy

the marks 3.1 tcase gears are still holding strong in my truck.

i would consider yanking the yota tcase out and runnning a divorced atlas 3.8....someone should do this

Drove a 5.3l/4L60/NP203/split case 80 today. I have no idea why any body would screw around with 2k worth of 3:1 or a supercharger. This thing had way more performance than a supercharged 1fz and real 4:1 and 2:1.

- Whos Truck?
- Are they on the MUD board?
- Pictures of install, inside the cab, etc?

I have Advanced Adapters quoting me on a custom input shaft and adapter place for the 80.

Last edited:
I have a write up in the 80's section. 1995 fzj 5.3 swap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom