Inexpensive partial DIY slider option (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mudmates,
As one of the only possessors of the rare Smittybuilt side bars i have to go another way. The smittybuilts have rusted beyond repair and have been sent to the junk pile. I have located a semi DIY side bar kit to replace the Smittybuilts. Rock Slider Kit 58 I love this option as i get to dictate the angle of the bars as i am more in need of steps for the wife and kids as opposed to sliders.
I got this kit (67 in version) and an mounting kit Rock Slider Mount Kit, 6 Leg - Trail Gear for $225 shipped tax included from
Cores West 6501 East Marginal Way S. Seattle, WA 98108 206-457-4298

I got notification of delivery due to me tomorrow which is great as i placed the order yesterday. I will do the mock up/installation this weekend hopefully if i can stand the heat.

Pics of the install to follow.

TLC Dan

Looking forward to how these work out. In the hunt for a set of sliders myself

I will be welding to the frame no drilling required......

Interesting
Send pics

Always wondered how these would work out on a 100-series. I have the TG sliders on my pickup truck (they're literally the cheapest option outside of DIY) but added a 4th leg on each side for more strength, I highly recommend you do the same since the Cruiser weighs so much comparably. Also, using some scab plates on the frame instead of welding the outriggers directly is the recommended install - the shop I had install mine skipped over that despite my request.

Always wondered how these would work out on a 100-series. I have the TG sliders on my pickup truck (they're literally the cheapest option outside of DIY) but added a 4th leg on each side for more strength, I highly recommend you do the same since the Cruiser weighs so much comparably. Also, using some scab plates on the frame instead of welding the outriggers directly is the recommended install - the shop I had install mine skipped over that despite my request.

It appears that several companies that sell bolt on sliders for the LX with AHC only use 2 attachment points on the drivers side so i think i am good with 3. Can you post pics or elaborate on the scab plates you speak of?
TIA

Sliders are done and they came out great.:clap:

bars and mounting kit $225
3.5 hrs mock up and weld $130
paint and primer $12
Welding to LX after paint $35
skateboard grip tape (on hand) 0
Total $402

Sidebars 1.jpg

sidebars 2.jpg

sidebars 3.jpg

sidebars 4.jpg

sidebars 5.jpg

Nice! Couple questions:

- I noticed one of the frame brackets had some trimming. Details?
- One of the outriggers and the frame bracket itself is at an angle. Was it complicated to mock up?
- Does the placement of the outriggers work with AHC (not sure if your LX still has it)?
- What length did you go with? It looks like there's room to go longer for those not running front mudguards.

it looks really nice.... will definitely consider this.
what about the AHC system? did you get around it ?

There are only specific places on the frame that will allow for the brackets to mount. On the drivers side rear bracket(first) i positioned the bracket further forward but when i did the passenger side i decided to trim the bracket to fit in between some obstructions and position it further back to help support weight on the rear of the bar. ( if you look at the unpainted pic u will see that the trimmed bracket is further back.) Both front brackets are at an angel as the frame is angling inward for clearance for the front tire. It was not a complicated mock up just time consuming. Basically you look for the best placements for the brackets and clamp them to the frame and start making connection bars to reach the side bar that was positioned where i wanted it on the jackstands. FYI the bars angle up 16 degrees. All of this was done with my AHC in place. These are 67 inches in length but the only larger size that trailgear sells is 78 and that was too large for me....

Observation (not a criticism): Believe the gap from inner tube to outboard tube should have some grating spanning the gap. That gap may trap foot and break ankle/leg when using as a step while exiting the rig. The round tubing exasperates this as is predisposes slipping. There is a thread somewhere on mud that mentions this.

Very similar problems with semi-pro residential wolf kitchen ranges (and the like). the handle to the heavy oven door is such that can trap hand & break wrist when opening.

Live to ski,
I appreciate your comment. the angle of the pics looks like there is room but its not very open and I just tried to get my foot thru and could not (size 7.5) My boys are older and wear a larger size shoe. I will warn the wife but the skateboard tape is like 40 grit sandpaper and slipping off the bars is just not happening........

I just finished welding up a set of Trail Gear 67'' sliders to my wifes LX also. I was originally planning to use the sliders on another project, but decided to put them on the 100. I got my sliders from Summitracing for right around $220 shipped.

I'm about to weld up the passenger side slider to the frame and then I'll be done. I'm taking it to Hot Springs ORV this weekend to test out and I'll report back how they do, but they're pretty beefy.

Adding pics:

Last edited:
@TLC Dan
how are the sliders holding? any updates are appreciated since I'm considering this option as well.

Thanks
The sliders are holding up perfectly. Solid as a rock and i pitty the fool that opens up their door into the side of my LX. It's not going to go well for them......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom