Builds indycole's 2016 200 Series Build and Retrospective (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In-cabin water also helps avoid freezing during deep winter treks...

Wow, thanks for the all the ideas and suggestions on the water front. I'll probably look into those custom tank options. I got a quote from one of the online plastic tank companies that a custom tank starts at something like $2500 which seemed high (unless they assumed I had to have something rotomolded). I'm also gonna run the gamut with TAP Plastics which stocks HDPE and can cut/machine it but I don't know if they do any plastic welding. I did look at buying a plastic welding setup but I can already imagine my DIY job springing a leak on a trip.

I was suggesting looking at fuel cells in general. They come in all shapes sizes and can be had aluminum or steel. Already set up to fill drain and pump.

The site I posted has literally hundreds of sizes. The one I got for my Tundra was like $250. Just look at rectangular plastic tanks. Even on the ones listed, you can customize where your fill, vent and out ports are.

Also I use a side sprayer used for kitchen sinks. It had to be modified to reduce flow a little more. I just took a piece of plastic and cut it to fit in the end of the hose attachment and punched holes in the plastic until I was happy with the flow. Since I use a tankless water heater, it needs at least 0.5 GPM to kick in. That’s the sweet spot for me.

Please educate me? Don't we use aluminum cookware and coffee pots?

I believe it’s all about long-term exposure. Pots and pans are used...cleaned and dried. So not a big deal. But tanks can sit with water in them for months/years.

On the other hand...maybe have interior coated.

Personally, I’d rather have a plastic tank anyway, as it can contract and expend...but to each their own.

I was unaware of the corrosion issue but that being said long term storage in any number of materials raise issues. My preference is food grade plastics. Thanks for the info

I've found a couple off the shelf options that could work thanks to the links above. I also sent custom tank inquiries to Miller and Plastic-Mart. I'd heard that the Adventure Trailers team does one-off tanks as well but haven't heard back from them after a few emails.

I've found a couple off the shelf options that could work thanks to the links above. I also sent custom tank inquiries to Miller and Plastic-Mart. I'd heard that the Adventure Trailers team does one-off tanks as well but haven't heard back from them after a few emails.

Adventure Trailer might just outsource, as most of these guys do.

For sure let us know what you go with. It's on the (long) list.

Picked the truck up today from Valley Hybrids and now have basic services covered for another 5-10k miles in addition to diff oil changes, transfer case, and a transmission flush. I will say the truck's shifting is vastly improved though that could be because the transmission "learning" was reset. The VH team also installed extended breathers for both diffs and the transfer case.

I have a viable "off-the-shelf" option on the OBW tank front, now. I'm still waiting on custom fabrication quotes from a couple places but am not optimistic of anything coming back within my budget for the project. The compromise off-the-shelf option I'm entertaining is to go with two internal tanks. Only one (a 14 gal) would be formally part of the OBW setup. The other (likely the 10 gal Frontrunner footwell tank) would only be included for longer trips and would be isolated from the system.

I also made some decent progress on the overall design as well as tracking down the proper fittings. The current design will require some custom brackets that will play well with the Trekboxx though that shouldn't be too much of a bottleneck. I'm mainly struggling to figure out whether to go with brass fittings all around or black poly alloy fittings. I'm also trying to find 3-way poly alloy ball valves.

In lieu of the typical wall of text, here's a plumbing schematic and some concepts where things would go in the truck. You'll note that I'm expecting potable water to always be in this system as I have no affordances for filtering. I do have thoughts on how I'd handle that if/when the time comes but didn't feel like it was a priority for travel in the US/Mexico as potable or bottled water is always available.

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 11.14.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 11.14.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 11.14.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 11.13.48 PM.png

If you ever use non-potable water in it for showering (or cooking, if boiled), you can sanitize the tank later. I do it annually in my trailer. I can never remember the ratio but it's a few oz of bleach per 10 gallons of water, pump into any lines, let it sit a few hours, then drain. You can get rid of the bleach taste that remains with a few tbsp of baking soda in your tank with more water, flush the lines with it and drain the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom