In need of knobs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bhicks

Supporting Vendor
Threads
It was brought to my attention that some of the 40's guys who are restoring their rig are having issues with old, broken, cracked, or missing knobs. I actually have no idea what "knobs" we are talking about or what they look like. Is there any interest in me making some factory replica knobs? Any pics of what these knobs look like? Sorry if I'm using the wrong word. I don't own a 40 series so I'm not entirely sure what I'm asking. I'm hopeful you guys know what I'm asking.

I think that these can be reproduced on a 3d printer, right?

fj40-restoration-496-jpg.948678

Those are some very basic knobs. I should be able to make those quite easily. Couple questions. Are they all the exact same size but with different text? They all look slightly different but it could just be the camera angle. Is the white text engraved (cut into) or embossed (rasied)?

Heater controls are the same... wipe/hazard/choke are the same.
This is for the mid to late 70s.. or so.

Earlier trucks had different types

Lot of different sizes and shapes. On my rig alone I have 3 different types. It's going to take some work to get all the different knobs and years. I did have amaurer make one of my knobs, and it came out great. The font is a little off, but otherwise it's pretty accurate. All of my knobs, the font is indented in the button, and the knob face has a slight inner edge curvature.

You can see more pictures on this thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/dash-configuration-reference.473477/

My dash is post #30 on the thread.

Man, I like this idea a lot.

I'm curious though - any 3D printer work I've seen is somewhat grainy. Is the resolution of these getting better, or is that dependent on the design? I guess you can sand it smooth....

Also, I think you can use a couple of types of plastic. How well do these hold up over a long period of time?

Love to hear from the OP on this or anyone else who knows 3D printing.

Any chance that you can make them out of Ultem?

My 40 has a vintage A/C in it now so some of the knobs are for different things then they say on them. Do you think you could make these knobs with different words on them?

Man, I like this idea a lot.

I'm curious though - any 3D printer work I've seen is somewhat grainy. Is the resolution of these getting better, or is that dependent on the design? I guess you can sand it smooth....

Also, I think you can use a couple of types of plastic. How well do these hold up over a long period of time?

Love to hear from the OP on this or anyone else who knows 3D printing.

VV - 3D printing resolution is improving - but it's largely dependent on the resolution of the printer, AND the type plastic being used. My company uses ours frequently (sort of low-to-mid-grade printer). It produces parts that are good enough for internal use and prototyping, but a little grainy to be "finished products." That said, there are better printers out there, higher backfill settings that can be used, as well as some "post processing" work that can be done (i: Acetone baths) which all help to provide a smoother looking finish.

I'd be willing to bet these knobs could be done on a 3D printer, and made to look decent. My major concern would be threading the plastic to accept metal nuts/studs, etc. to actually connect them to the dash. Might be a point of failure. @bhicks might have the work-around already, I'm just a scientist that knows enough about 3D printing to be dangerous. ;)

VV - 3D printing resolution is improving - but it's largely dependent on the resolution of the printer, AND the type plastic being used. My company uses ours frequently (sort of low-to-mid-grade printer). It produces parts that are good enough for internal use and prototyping, but a little grainy to be "finished products." That said, there are better printers out there, higher backfill settings that can be used, as well as some "post processing" work that can be done (i: Acetone baths) which all help to provide a smoother looking finish.

I'd be willing to bet these knobs could be done on a 3D printer, and made to look decent. My major concern would be threading the plastic to accept metal nuts/studs, etc. to actually connect them to the dash. Might be a point of failure. @bhicks might have the work-around already, I'm just a scientist that knows enough about 3D printing to be dangerous. ;)

Thanks for the insight. I have learned quite a few tricks with different plastics to get a very smooth injection molded look. All I need is a sample knob to work from. I can easily put any factory or custom text on the knobs and make them as durable if not more; then the factory parts. I may have to look into carbon fiber filament or High Impact Polystyrene filament or even a type of Nylon filament to ensure strength. I really just need a factory knob to get me started; so I can make some prototypes and do some testing on different plastics. My goal would be to create a smooth finish with a VERY strong plastic.

Those are some very basic knobs. I should be able to make those quite easily. Couple questions. Are they all the exact same size but with different text? They all look slightly different but it could just be the camera angle. Is the white text engraved (cut into) or embossed (rasied)?

They are kinda basic, but they have a wicked swept angle to the top face when you look at them in profile. A sweeping upward curve IIRC.

We will all check how our parts bins and see if we have an extra one. Also, there is a "for sale" or classifieds area here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/categories/classifieds.4/

What I would prefer is to get a knob from someone on this 100 series forum. That way I can send them my prototypes for test fitting. most new designs take me 3-4 prototypes before I get it perfected and that is only if I get good feedback from the person helping me do the fitment. Getting one from the classified is just the starting point, I then need a 100 series owner to step in and help me perfect it. Whoever is willing to do that will get some free knobs out of the deal.

I've got a knob that I modeled a while ago up printing on a makerbot for fun ... I am printing it in several orientations to see which one gives the best appearance. I've had luck in the past tumbling parts in media before sanding. These parts will be interesting because they will require quite a bit of finishing work to look decent. A threaded insert, set screw, and several coats of paint will be required...

Hope your's turn out well!

Print on!

Capture.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom