Improved Automatic Tranny Shift Gate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to share one of the little projects I completed on my wife's FJ62 while we're working on it. The standard automatic shifter has the funky plastic gates that seem to break. Toyota doesn't make them anymore.

90E8AE81-5919-4CCE-8F7E-BF3B3B91D693.jpeg

Looks pretty ghetto. I don't like the plastic gates, so I'll try another familiar 80s solution - the brush gate. I bought a pair of XJS Jaguar Part #CAC2864 brush gates.

I drilled out the plastic welds for the slide plate to gain access to where I wanted to epoxy the gates. I had to remove some bottom material on the slide plate for it to lay down right once the gates were installed.

20200903_185554.jpg

Then a little epoxy work.

20200903_185609.jpg

Then back together.

20200904_175828.jpg

And finally the finished product installed.

20200908_144604.jpg

Looks much more classy.

I wanted to share one of the little projects I completed on my wife's FJ62 while we're working on it. The standard automatic shifter has the funky plastic gates that seem to break. Toyota doesn't make them anymore.

View attachment 2450901

Looks pretty ghetto. I don't like the plastic gates, so I'll try another familiar 80s solution - the brush gate. I bought a pair of XJS Jaguar Part #CAC2864 brush gates.

I drilled out the plastic welds for the slide plate to gain access to where I wanted to epoxy the gates. I had to remove some bottom material on the slide plate for it to lay down right once the gates were installed.

View attachment 2450904

Then a little epoxy work.

View attachment 2450905

Then back together.

View attachment 2450906

And finally the finished product installed.

View attachment 2450907

Looks much more classy.
Hi, I’m restoring my shifter assembly right now... which expoy did you use? Looks good!

Looks way better. Good job.

I came across this thread a few nights ago after realizing one of my shifter gates is missing and the other is falling apart. Think this is a great idea, just not sure I want to leave the factory appearance yet - still hoping I come across some old shifter gates that someone doesn’t want/need. If I don’t then I’ll give this route a try, thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom