FJ62 A440f automatic transmission problems (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1989 fj62 with a a440f automatic tranny. My mechanic says it’s shot- it’s already been rebuilt at least once. Is there anyone out there that remanufactures these? Anyone that has access to these? We have contacted tons of shops and no one has anything.
After doing a little research I’m wondering if swapping to a H55 manual tranny makes more sense? Any one know where I can source that and the full kit to swap it?
I love this truck and want to figure out how to keep it alive but right now I feel like I’m at a dead end. Any help would be appreciated!

My A440F was coming up on end of life in late 2019 and in early 2020 I had it swapped out in favor of an H55F. Not only was it less costly overall by a couple grand (bearing in mind I intended to have an upgraded torque converter and Nomad valve body installed had I gotten my A440F rebuilt), but the H55F makes the 62 a far more enjoyable vehicle to drive. Now a caveat; the ideal tire size for the H55F given the 62's 4.11:1 gear ratio is 33", so if you're still running 31" or 32" tires, an increase in size will be something to consider.

Long story short: My vote is absolutely go with an H55F conversion if you can.

There are many things in life that can be argued and debated........many gray zones.

This is not one of them lol.........the FJ60/62 needs the H55F.

I've driven both for extended periods in many conditions. When my A440F needed replacing I stuggled over the decision as I had never driven the H55F behind the 3FE.

It is a completely different truck with the H55F. Truly transforms it. And even better I would argue more bulletproof and reliable if not 'maintainable'.

Make the change. I would argue it's ultimately more cost effective even if the conversion is more expensive.

I had Georg at Valley Hybrids do mine and it looks completely OEM. He also did my twin sticks.

Agree about the tires in 33" especially with that gearing. But I look at that as a big plus as well. With that transmission, gearing, and tires.........this truck is perfect.

BTW........I like in Chicagoland and noticed you're in Michigan. If you ever are in town or driving through you are very welcome to take it out for a drive and you will see that it is a must do for these trucks.

We sell the H55f's, do several of the conversions a year, and developed a bunch of parts solutions to make it more convenient. Huge upgrade for a 62. However if you are paying a shop in 2023 it will be roughly double the price of a quality A440f rebuild so that is something to consider.

My A440F was coming up on end of life in late 2019 and in early 2020 I had it swapped out in favor of an H55F. Not only was it less costly overall by a couple grand (bearing in mind I intended to have an upgraded torque converter and Nomad valve body installed had I gotten my A440F rebuilt), but the H55F makes the 62 a far more enjoyable vehicle to drive. Now a caveat; the ideal tire size for the H55F given the 62's 4.11:1 gear ratio is 33", so if you're still running 31" or 32" tires, an increase in size will be something to consider.

Long story short: My vote is absolutely go with an H55F conversion if you can.
Thanks! I do love me a manual (except in traffic lol). I think I’m heading in that direction. Could you tell me where you sourced everything from? Cheers! -Tina

how many miles on the trans?
why does he say it is "shot"?
a known good used trans is an option that would be less than either of the other 2 options.

If you decide to just swap in another used A440, I have one with 137k miles on it. Shifted great when I started tearing the truck apart. I'm not too far south of you.

Cheers,
Jonathan

If you decide to just swap in another used A440, I have one with 137k miles on it. Shifted great when I started tearing the truck apart. I'm not too far south of you.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Jonathan..... you may be my new best friend!! Where are you located? Did you do the H55f swap? thanks! tina

Jonathan..... you may be my new best friend!! Where are you located? Did you do the H55f swap? thanks! tina
No H55 swap. It's a truck I purchased to use the engine in another project, but don't necessarily need the transmission. I was going to keep it for a spare for one of my 62's but also willing to let it go to help out a fellow Michigander. I'm down near Ludington. Will shoot you a PM with my contact info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom