Importing a 70 series to the USA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello guys, thinking of importing this 1992 (LJ76?) to the USA. In an "okay" shape gas engine with a manual transmission. Pictures are not that great but it's all that I have at the moment. What do you guys think it's worth? This is my first import so any tips/advice would be highly appreciated!

_2_.jpg

_3_.jpg

_5_.jpg

What is country of origin? KM's? Are you sure it's gas and not diesel? LJ78's have the 2Lte. LJ79's have the 3L diesel and LJ77's I believe have the 2LT. Being LHD it is most likely (and I'm guessing) an LJ77. 76's started later than '92

This is what I got from the seller so far but I will check again to make sure. Importing it from the middle east. If it is gas what is the market like here in the US for these? How much do you think it's worth? Pretty much trying to figure out if it's worth it or not since they are pretty expansive over there as well.

OK, I am no expert, I can only give you my 2 cents. These gen 1 5 door LJ's have been importable to Canada since about '86. I bought mine in 2016 when it hit the 25 year rule. It had 180K km's and 2Lte diesel. good shape paid about $6k I haven't seen what U.S guys are paying but I've seen importers of these now asking over $10-12K . the 22R gasser is pretty gutless in these rigs from what I've heard. Not that the 2L-te is a powerhouse. It kind of depends on your vision for the rig. The diesels have head issues that are overcome with newer heads. These are neat little rigs and head turners (especially the RHD versions). Hope that helps.

OK, I am no expert, I can only give you my 2 cents. These gen 1 5 door LJ's have been importable to Canada since about '86. I bought mine in 2016 when it hit the 25 year rule. It had 180K km's and 2Lte diesel. good shape paid about $6k I haven't seen what U.S guys are paying but I've seen importers of these now asking over $10-12K . the 22R gasser is pretty gutless in these rigs from what I've heard. Not that the 2L-te is a powerhouse. It kind of depends on your vision for the rig. The diesels have head issues that are overcome with newer heads. These are neat little rigs and head turners (especially the RHD versions). Hope that helps.

Thanks brother. I appreciate your help!

I bought my rig from the guy that imported it and he described the process. This was his first time importing from Japan and he didn't think he'd do it again. Aside from the obvious risks of buying a vehicle based only on photographs, the shipping process can be a minefield as well. It took about three months from the time he bought it to its arrival at the port in the U.S. In that time, parts can go missing and the body can get damaged. In addition, if the paperwork isn't complete and properly filled out, you can go through hell trying to get it registered here. He says he got lucky, but that it could have easily gone very wrong.

Thank you for the info. What is yours and how much you paid for it if you don't mind me asking? You can PM me if you like.

I imported a BJ74 from Japan this year. The whole process for me was very easy. I used an import broker here to handle the paperwork. It’s well worth the fee they charge. Storage charges are expensive if the car sits at the import lot waiting for you to navigate the paperwork jungle

If its from the ME it will most likely be petrol. So before you work out how much you are going to make when you flip it, you had better have the correct model details.

I would say whatever you import, you better be able to suffer possibly a loss or float money for a while potentially. Things can go wrong, people might not want to buy it, storage costs if it gets stuck, import issues, rolled odometers, bondo, hacks, leaks etc.

It could be simple and you make a bit, or you could end up losing money on the deal. I believe most imports of legit vehicles go pretty good. The last I heard it was running $3,500-$5k to get the rigs here.

I would say whatever you import, you better be able to suffer possibly a loss or float money for a while potentially. Things can go wrong, people might not want to buy it, storage costs if it gets stuck, import issues, rolled odometers, bondo, hacks, leaks etc.

It could be simple and you make a bit, or you could end up losing money on the deal. I believe most imports of legit vehicles go pretty good. The last I heard it was running $3,500-$5k to get the rigs here.

yup it seems that way so far. Still researching other rigs I could import but everything seems to cost more than what it’s worth in the US.

I paid around $15k for my '94 FZJ75 Pickup. I paid 2x what most 25 yo old examples go for but it really doesn't need anything. No rust, no body work, mostly original paint (tailgate has had some touch up), mechanically sound and original interior. It also has heat and A/C which is difficult to find (many have A/C without heat).

I've spent a few hundred on spare parts and a few cosmetic issues (e.g. replaced the window crank handles and some rear bumper parts). It will probably cost another $5k or so to import so now we're talking maybe $21k all in with a box of spares.

I'm sure there would be some money to be made but that's not a major consideration for me as it's a vehicle I intend to keep. They are not easy to find in this condition.

Last edited:
I paid around $15k for my '94 FZJ75 Pickup. I paid 2x what most 25 yo old examples go for but it really doesn't need anything. No rust, no body work, mostly original paint (tailgate has had some touch up), mechanically sound and original interior. It also has heat and A/C which is difficult to find (many have A/C without heat).

I've spent a few hundred on spare parts and a few cosmetic issues (e.g. replaced the window crank handles and some rear bumper parts). It will probably cost another $5k or so to import so now we're talking maybe $21k all in with a box of spares.

I'm sure there would be some money to be made but that's not a major consideration for me as it's a vehicle I intend to keep. They are not easy to find in this condition.

Is yours in the US? the ones I found were near perfect condition were close to $30k and that’s without shipping and all the other expanses.

Will there be “chicken tax” on your 75?

Is yours in the US? the ones I found were near perfect condition were close to $30k and that’s without shipping and all the other expanses.

No it's in KSA with me. I will be shipping it home in the next 1 to 2 years.

Will there be “chicken tax” on your 75?

Excellent question. I have had two different answers from custom's brokers but haven't researched it further. On the other hand, I haven't filled out the import Bill of Sale yet either.......

Well, theoretically you pay 25% tax on pickup trucks when importing. I have heard some have not payed that but just the 2% depending on agents mood or knowledge or?

Technically, a pickup will always be subject to the "chicken tax" if everything is done by the book. But if the HTS (Harmonized Tariff Schedule) code on the import paperwork somehow mistakenly references a passenger vehicle instead of a cargo-carrying vehicle, and Customs at the point of entry doesn't catch it or care, then, voila!, you only pay 2.5% instead of 25%. That's the only way I can see that anyone might have escaped the "chicken tax" when importing a pickup, cargo van, or any other vehicle "primarily designed to carry goods".

If it's your property for more than I think 6 months and it comes back more or less at the same time as you repatriate then it isn't subject to any import duty. I'm an expat living in KSA.

Bringing them back upon repatriation let’s you bring it in free of duty... my 40 and Troopy benefited from that in contrast to the 40’s I import.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom