Immobilizer recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings from rainy London, England. It has been "politely" suggested that I add an level 2 immobilizer to my wonderful FJ40. I have a steering wheel lock but seems it might be enough....just in case. Has anyone had any experience fitting an immobilizer? Suggestions welcome. Thanks

It's quite easy to wire up a toggle switch under the dash for the 12v coil power – somewhere in circuit with the fuse. No coil power means no spark. If someone attempted to hotwire the car, the starter motor would keep turning, but the engine just wouldn't start. Of course, a smart thief would just put the truck in neutral and tow it away.

But, that's just my 2 pence. :cool:

my year is a bit different.... however.... later cruisers had engine fuse

reach under and remove the engine fuse... i think it also controls the idle solenoid... no fuse no start

try pulling and see if it starts

This works on my 75. Won't run with the 15a engine fuse removed if everything is wired/working correctly.

Simple kill switch for my FJ40...that and fewer people know how to drive a clutch :)

Mine had (until very recently) this really cool "feature" where the battery would be completely drained within 15-20 minutes of shutting down the engine unless you disconnected the battery. It was a little bit inconvenient if you wanted to go somewhere and then also come home, but it was very secure. The secret to this very high security mod is to install a faulty voltage regulator. You can probably pick one up very cheap; possibly even for free!

I can’t find the post but somewhere I saw someone weld tabs to the clutch and brake pedals. They overlapped with a hole through the overlapping portion so a padlock could be installed. This would lock the clutch and brake pedals together so if you tried to shift you’d also hit the brakes and stall. Always thought it was a clever (and cheap) anti-theft device.

I can’t find the post but somewhere I saw someone weld tabs to the clutch and brake pedals. They overlapped with a hole through the overlapping portion so a padlock could be installed. This would lock the clutch and brake pedals together so if you tried to shift you’d also hit the brakes and stall. Always thought it was a clever (and cheap) anti-theft device.
That sounds like the mechanic’s version of tying someone’s shoelaces together. :rofl:

I have a Ravelco in my FJ40. It's simple, no moving parts to go bad. It won't stop someone from breaking in and stealing contents, but short of having a tow truck no thief will steal the vehicle, especially if you augment it with a hood lock.

Find a cheap coil wire and clip the ends that go into the distributor and the coil. When it is going to be parked swap out the wire. The engine wont start and anyone who knows anything about cars will look under the hood and everything will look in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom