Builds Ikarus' HDJ81 Offroad Build (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cleaned up the cigarette lighter wiring, not sure what was going on here.

qzuBfy4.jpg

sFxPPET.jpg

xWqSema.jpg

Multigauge in...

PCg7WoN.jpg

fGym3Q2.jpg

Function check - and success.
G8fF9r6.jpg

RZGekMC.jpg

CarPlay, boost and EGT all confirmed. Cigarette lighter charging isn't working, I'll have to figure that out. I never actually used it before so I don't even know if it was functioning before. It's all tied up in another harness so I wonder if it'll work once I plug everything in.

As someone who's never done a wiring or stereo project before I'm relieved. Only took a month of YouTube and research on mud to psych myself up

Great Job, a new stereo and speakers are on my list as well. Never done any wiring or install myself either. Watching YT videos and researching on here now.

Ran to the junkyard to pick up a rust free hatch off an 80 out of Nevada -

4W6y3xY.jpg

I'll try a fix on my current hatch rust and see how long it lasts. This can be a long term project for me to learn how to do bodywork and paint.

Worked on the @Lutz Auto Multi Gauge. It sits in the OEM clock location:

nstQ3v0.jpg

k2RebZ5.jpg

TApj7Sm.jpg

JfOx5TQ.jpg

yeRl00K.jpg

To center the screen and get it to fit just right you need to file off a little plastic on either side of the screen:

cniYsIR.jpg

1Tnm3qk.jpg

I made a custom startup screen:

JIjQ2Fx.jpg

Rad setup. I'm excited to get it installed and working. I initially wanted analog gauges to be able to see the needles move vs a digital display but the more I looked into gauge pods and mounts I decided I'd rather have a clean minimal setup like this. For now I'm only wiring up EGT and boost but it supports oil pressure and trans temp as well.

iz5xsqC.jpg

I like it, might run it in mine.

Cheers

Having a period-correct radio is nice, but I agree that carplay wins over that. IMO Sony makes the most 'factory-looking' radios without having wildly stylized buttons. I have a Sony avx in my 100 and am now looking for a similar model for the 80.

The attention to detail in this thread makes me feel like I should go do something in the garage :beer:

Having a period-correct radio is nice, but I agree that carplay wins over that. IMO Sony makes the most 'factory-looking' radios without having wildly stylized buttons. I have a Sony avx in my 100 and am now looking for a similar model for the 80.

The attention to detail in this thread makes me feel like I should go do something in the garage :beer:
Yeah, I'm a fan of the Sonys. I would have liked the XAV-AX1000 just for the volume knob but that one is pushing 5 years old.

Alright the multigauge did not slide into place as easily as I'd predicted. It's interfering with the dash fan.

fHlnHvq.jpg

It's basically a small computer style fan and according to Mud it was added in the higher end stereo packages to help cool the stock head unit.

I spent the night puzzling over how to get it out short of a complete dash removal. The fan is mounted with two screws facing the firewall. I was able to remove the head unit and sneak a small ratcheting screwdriver up there to remove the right screw... but the left screw isn't so easy

That screw is about right here behind the dash, also facing the firewall:

EImjps3.jpg

This pis taken from underneath the passenger side of the dash looking up -

n9rbmLN.jpg

It's too small of a space to get my hand up in there. I spent a while trying to get it out with some frankentools made of ratchets and screwdrivers and tape. I eventually gave up and ordered a right angle flexible drill extension that hopefully will do the job.

In the meantime, my mirror showed up. I had a surprisingly hard time tracking one of these down. I couldn't find any land cruiser mirrors but ended up finding this mirror that according to Amayama is for a Corolla Spacio but also fits in an 80. I ordered and waited a month hoping they wouldn't pull the "out of stock, sorry" and refund me.

I realized after I bought it that this new parts number is the official supercession in the US and it's easily found at any online dealer. haha. oh well. I still paid less shipping it from Japan than most US online prices.

5ZaH2dV.jpg

Hard to tell there but the old mirror is foggy and almost unusable.

You can tell how dirty my headliner is -

umfH8Rt.jpg

4PhPpSx.jpg

And all buttoned back up.

2hIodes.jpg

Last edited:
Got some boost line to finish off the sensor - it needed 4mm ID instead of the OEM 3mm.

r7a7GMs.jpg

I was able to get that screw out from my last post using this:

K9HEKPZ.jpg

HrVDOMn.jpg

Lotta dust under the dash. Cleaned it out. Multigauge installed no problem.

m5TpczP.jpg

Taped up unused connectors (rear heater switch, JDM sport/normal shock mode switch etc)

1yFNQvy.jpg

at6CWGv.jpg

6x55k08.jpg

And got it all back together. I need to figure out what to do with the ashtray (old one was actually used for smoking, it reeks) and the useless cupholder slot. Lots of room for switches with 3x OEM under the HVAC controls and all the ashtray space if I got with a Wit's End ashtray switch plate.

syneq3c.jpg

Cigarette lighter still isn't working. I checked the fuse, swapped the wires, nothing. Any ideas?

Also the rear heater delete plates showed up today.

kdrG2h1.jpg

Cleaned up the AC blower fan. Man that thing was dirty. I really wanted to remove it and soak it in degreaser but I couldn't figure out how to get it off and it seems to be discontinued everywhere - didn't want to risk breaking it.

uiRgLwX.jpg

Did the best I could and reinstalled it.

BGN6L8S.jpg

Installed the rear heater delete plates. Drilled 4 corner holes for rivets -

XqPHFvb.jpg

Used some high temp gasket maker -

pbGssMb.jpg

SINybTh.jpg

Sandwiched one on top, one underneath.

tCjjqOt.jpg

Tgh81aV.jpg

Jt0cX9F.jpg

Underneath:

Py7iVlQ.jpg

I think it turned out well. I could have DIY'd it easy but I've been wanting to try out SendCutSend so I designed it and had them cut, drill and deburr. Fast turnaround time and quality pieces. I think my next project with them will be an air compressor mount.

Anyway, they had a minimum order so I have two more pairs of these plates - if anyone wants them, $10 and I'll ship you a pair. 2.5" x 3", Stainless 316 .060" thick with 4x 3.1mm holes.

1xIWGz6.jpg

Wrapping up the last little to-do's on the interior before I reassemble and take it for a test drive. Time to replace the gauge cluster plastic while I have everything apart.

g6UaGFW.jpg

Scratch city over here

r9y5GWe.jpg

QqXQgSy.jpg

The lens is still available new - I threw this in a Partsouq order a while ago. For $20, it's a no brainer.

ia9Hkiz.jpg

Py4EIFq.jpg

JUNbKZ7.jpg

Now would be a great time to make a custom sticker overlay with MPH on it.

The entire case with the black trim and the clear plastic just snaps on.

sc5uORj.jpg

ozC60l3.jpg

The most critical part of course, the timing belt light reset grommet.

I5lG3kA.jpg

1Hon01n.jpg

And all buttoned up. Big impact on the look and feel inside, easy hour of work.

Wrapping up the last little to-do's on the interior before I reassemble and take it for a test drive. Time to replace the gauge cluster plastic while I have everything apart.

g6UaGFW.jpg

Scratch city over here

r9y5GWe.jpg

QqXQgSy.jpg

The lens is still available new - I threw this in a Partsouq order a while ago. For $20, it's a no brainer.

ia9Hkiz.jpg

Py4EIFq.jpg

JUNbKZ7.jpg

Now would be a great time to make a custom sticker overlay with MPH on it.

The entire case with the black trim and the clear plastic just snaps on.

sc5uORj.jpg

ozC60l3.jpg

The most critical part of course, the timing belt light reset grommet.

I5lG3kA.jpg

1Hon01n.jpg

And all buttoned up. Big impact on the look and feel inside, easy hour of work.
The rhd diesel clusters with mph pop up for sale on occasion

I've kept mine kph for the novelty.

Plus the speeds I drive are all easy to remember

The rhd diesel clusters with mph pop up for sale on occasion

I've kept mine kph for the novelty.

Plus the speeds I drive are all easy to remember

Agreed, I'm in the same boat. I just use 45/70 and 60/100 and I'm good to go. Drive by vibe.

This is me when I'm driving and attempt to do the actual math... KM/H to MPH ... +11% for 35s

51c.gif

Agreed, I'm in the same boat. I just use 45/70 and 60/100 and I'm good to go. Drive by vibe.

This is me when I'm driving and attempt to do the actual math... KM/H to MPH ... +11% for 35s

51c.gif

My 35s must be small.
My Speedo is .919 correction factor

My 35s must be small.
Ya know what you're right, if I run the math that's what I get too.

When I'm going 110 km/h my GPS shows 75.5 mph so that would be .905

I was just basing it off of stock 275/70r16 vs 315/75r16 +10.9% diameter size

Either way math isn't my strong suit and as long as I'm in the right ballpark it's all good. haha. One of those MPH clusters you linked might be kind of nice to have though

Either way math isn't my strong suit and as long as I'm in the right ballpark it's all good. haha. One of those MPH clusters you linked might be kind of nice to have though

I only know the correction because it's on my spreadsheet for mpg's

90kmh is 60ish
110 is 75ish

You should definitely try and do the headgasket job and film the whole thing for us....

Did you watch the video I posted from Otramm? It walks you through the whole thing, step by step.

51c.gif

My 35s must be small.

I only know the correction because it's on my spreadsheet for mpg's

90kmh is 60ish
110 is 75ish
Go back to posting cool pictures, nerds!

For real, @ikarus you're making my thread look bad and making me feel like I'm neglecting my 80.

I'm kidding, this is great stuff to document for all of us.
Appreciate it, glad someone likes it.

How did you clear the IC piping of the indicator lights?
I just cut the back out of mine since my JTX quad lights have an indicator, and intend to replace them once I find a shallow mount led indicator of some sort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom