Igniter question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

86aggie

SILVER Star
Threads
Mechanic has identified Igniter as the culprit of not starting.
1695403346398.png

Are there two parts inside that housing, or is it all one part? Alternatives if its not available?

The igniter can be separated from the coil, but you need both.

The igniter is not a serviceable part and must be replaced if it has failed. I don't think it's available from Toyota, so probably a good used one is your best bet. I think I've read about people adapting a GM igniter, but haven't dug into it - just filed away for future reference in case I ever need it.

Do you know how the mechanic settled on the igniter as the cause? I don't think they're very failure-prone, though of course nothing lasts forever. It's just that the igniter is the thing you replace after eliminating ALL other causes.

If the culprit is indeed the igniter, there is an alternative. The Toyota igniter is no longer available.

The mechanic ohmed it out to confirm it’s the culprit. I’ve found an OEM at Amayama in Japan for $270 or an aftermarket version at NAPA for $470…waiting for confirmation from Japan that they actually have it in stock. I’ve had them claim they have a part until I actually place an order and then they say oops…

Ignitor off a 22RE will work if you swap the plug ends. These should still be easy to find out there used.

Mark...

I have a similar issue. I am resurrecting my 83 wagon after about 5 years of neglect.

I have a bad igniter also, based on ohms on the ol multimeter, and I’m trying to determine if I do the cheapskate GM solution which hasn’t worked for me so far, or if I just bite the bullet and drop in an MSD box/aftermarket coil, and Pertronix electronic ignition upgrade kit to change over the whole ignition system to something less of a PITA to service in the future. These old parts aren’t getting any easier to find, after all.

So, if I do that, I bypass the OEM igniter, coil, and points based dizzy, correct? I am not an ignition expert and this is the first time I’m messing with this systems. I’ve replaced components with OEM parts, but never done a modernization project like this.

Please help me think it through before I spend $$$.

Thank you!

An aftermarket igniter was available a few months ago from rock auto. It was about $350. That’s what we did.

When my igniter failed I initially did the GM option, but had issues with that. To be clear, the issues were my own doing, but I ultimately opted for a Toyota Mini Truck igniter/coil from the stealership here in town. That was a number of years ago and I haven't looked back since as it's all OEM Toyota. Not gonna lie though, it was a lot more expensive ($350) than the GM option ($50 at the time). I later put an HEI unit in my truck when I installed my Sniper as the OEM dizzy wasn't recurved for a de-smogged truck. That GM unit in the HEI left me stranded in a rain storm after only a year, and that time it wasn't the fault of my wiring. Got off my butt and did the home recurve with a vac pot from @4Cruisers and the truck runs great. OEM Toyota is more expensive, but if you drive your truck much it's also a whole lot more reliable.

Clark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom