Ign Switch/Diff lock problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Still in the test phase of this '94 Cruiser...
The ignition switch and key are just plain funky, it takes several minutes of jiggling to get the key to turn from the lock position, until you get used to it, which takes awhile. It would need to be replaced if we bought the truck. How much is a switch C-dan? And I guess I would need to replace all the door cylinders as well or else have two seperate keys?

The center diff lock was not automatically locking when I put it in low, therefore the F&R locks were not locking. I would assume the fix for this would be to buy a manual CDL switch so that I wouldn't have to depend on the auto switch.
Thanks for your help guys.

Bailey,

>> I would assume the fix for this would be to buy a manual CDL switch <<
>> so that I wouldn't have to depend on the auto switch. <<

It would be unlikely that the CDL switch would fix this problem. You will need to determine why the vehicle is not locking the center diff when shifted into low range. It could be as simple as a loose connector on the transfer case. I would ask the owner to have this fixed before you buy the truck.

The center diff should engage within a few seconds though you may have to drive the truck forward a few feet. You can engage and disengage the center diff lock on pavement but you don't want to drive very long with it locked on a high traction surface.

>> it takes several minutes of jiggling to get the key to turn from the lock position, <<

Ask the owner to have a new key made by a Toyota parts department (they will know what to do and how to do it. The cost will be nominal. Sometimes the ignition switches will go bad due to heavy key rings dangling from the lock for years. C-Dan's the man for p/n, cost, and whether or not it can be set up to use the current keys.

-B-

Probably a worn key or key cylinder. I would start by cutting a new key from the code and see how it does. If the cylinder is badly worn, a new one may be in order. A new ignition cylinder, 69057-60030. lists for $80.05. A complete keyed-alike lock set is a 69005-60330, it sells for $338.36.
A good locksmith could take a new ignition cylinder apart and re-key it to the original key code. I my neck of the woods that runs somewhere around 20 bucks if you take the cylinder and a new key in to them.

-B-
I assumed the manual cdl switch, because a guy in my club with an 80 said that his auto cdl switch was busted when he bought the truck, put in a manual one and he was golden, then after a month or two the auto switch started to work again. The owner thinks its a relay or fuse. The CDL light never even blinked. I believe the owner will get it fixed before we (or anyone) buys the truck.
C-Dan
The owner thinks that I'm smokin crack when I try to turn the key, its easy for him. I guess I will try the new key and see how that does. Can you take care of the new key for me? If so, how much $?

Bailey,

I would be glad to cut a key for you. By the time I send it to you, you may be better off having a local dealer cut one for you. All dealers can cut keys. If you wish me to do it, PM the key code and I'll take care of it for you. The code wil be something like "W1045" or the like.

Dan.

I've make it a routine to have a new key cut each year. That way the cylinder doesn't take so much wear from a worn key. Also keep the key ring as light as possible to further reduce wear on the cylinder from the hanging weight.

Dan-If we do buy the truck, then yes, I would like to feed your dogs a meal. I don't know any of the dealers around here, and I don't care to meet them.
On a side note-If we get the guy to 8 or 8.5 my dad will buy the truck. My mechanic was very impressed with the A442F tranny. "D@%n thats one helluva transmission, I don't see trannies that big in anything smaller than a 3/4 ton dually"
Things are lookin good :D....
Thanks again guys for all your help.

When I got my new keys made by a dealer the first one was pricey, but additional keys were very cheap. I think the setup charge was the reason. Get a few.

Scott,
The price for cutting a new key varies by dealer. Before they knew me at C-Dan's store they made me one at no charge. They didn't even charge me for the blank though they were out of the ones with the black rubber head. I had to show ID and jump through a couple of hoops but it was painless and the price was right. His dogs went hungry that night.

-B-

I had a "real" locksmith cut me a new key from the old not using the key code, no problems since, cost about 3$ and he tested it in all doors and ignition before ringing it up :D I first had one duplicated at the dealer, it didn't work for crap :mad: , I didn't realize they had on of those automatic machines, every key I've had cut on one of those (house and multiple cars) has had problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom