If you're using a WIX oil filter read this (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No (first world) company ever outsources manufacturing to improve quality, it's to cut costs. Quality can be maintained, but costs are the goal with outsourcing.

That’s a limited view. Costs make the initial investment business case via labor rate arbitrage, but process improvement and automation sustain the long term ROI.

Large companies have enormous internal political challenges and culture problems, and outsourcing requires a process focus to deliver from planning through production where these barriers have to be eliminated over time, especially as jobs are eliminated through automation.

It is incredible that anybody could believe that anything coming out of China is automatically low quality, for example. I would be more wary of a US company suddenly onshoring production of a product where there is no long standing U.S. manufacturing experience in that product. Nobody just magically builds a best practice and executes based on their ethnicity and robots don’t really care about real estate or humans.

So many OEM auto parts are now shared among models that it is a huge leap of faith to believe that what is going into a base model is a premium part for a high end model.

If you don’t believe me, buy a Sequoia. The shared drivetrain is Land Cruiser and the shared other stuff mostly is not. I have an ‘04 (new to me at 253K) and the door checks are all failing, the power lock actuators are all failing, I’m so sick of pulling door panels I could scream.

But the damn thing drives like new at 282K miles from a drivetrain perspective. And it gets Wix filters, although I’ll probably buy OEM since Brown Santa shows up at my door about daily anyway and there’s zero cost impact.

That’s the real value of this thread rather than suggesting suing a filter company over something that has no emotional value to a third party audience and practically no claim value.

If I was going to call somebody, it would be my insurance company since from that perspective this totaled the rig.

Last edited:
It is incredible that anybody could believe that anything coming out of China is automatically low quality

You should check out this place. Those guys are nuts.

"It is incredible that anybody could believe that anything coming out of China is automatically low quality"

Sigh... Actually this view is completely credible.
The default view on Chinese manufacturing is that they suck ,automatically.
This view ( held by actual working men and women who want their hard-earned money to count ) has been forged after dutifully suffering decades of shoddy gizmos and gadgets exploding or failing in our hands.
The view has also been ruthlessly reinforced by the Chinese themselves who year after year ,product after product seem to be purposefully inept.

Long ago our government dominated innovation into the industrial revolution and pulled the world from mud streets and crapping thru a hole in the ground to almost everything the world now takes for granted. Were we Americans more brutal back then we could have conquered the whole world with ease. Instead we lent out the revolution to make the world a smaller and more dependent place. We have been giving away our industrial revolution like crack rocks and all the countries line up like junkies for those contracts.

There have been technically 3 phases of the industrial revolution and we are entering the 4th now.
China has facilities in various fields that are the best in the world for manufacture (borrowed tech) yet they still wear the largest dunce cap when it comes to the eyes and hearts of the end user. Who has all the answers to this funny little Chinese riddle?

China's standing amongst the world marketplace is the same as any top tier counterfeiter standing on the corner hocking his wares: somebody you avoid if you can and at the same time you wonder why they don't arrest him already.

So instead of incredible id say its the only logical view to have.
Just automatically assume Chinese manufacture isn't worth your life or your money and then when you get something from China ,that you couldn't avoid, that is good ,you'll be pleased!

Update on my issue... (With the instruction on how to move forward from the WIX rep Scott Taylor) BTW the "rep Scott" wanted to get into an argument with me that I was using diesel motor oil in a gas engine because when he asked what I use... I told him Rotella T5 synthetic blend "diesel oil". I had to tell him that he was going down the wrong road with me if he wants to say I'm using an improper oil because it meets ALL of the manufacturers specs. At this point in our exchange I had to inform him of my work history at Ford Motor Company, and my technical degree in gas turbine engines, and more than a decade that I've worked in private and military aviation. I also made mention that I was posting my experience in this forum.

So... I took the WIX off and put the OEM/ Toyota filter (with some oil in it) on, Got in the car and turned it over... it started up and the oil pressure needle climbed to the normal range.

No need to suspect a bad oil pump, or anything wrong on my end than a truly defective filter. I don't really know how to spot a defect other than in a side by side comparison with other WIX filters mine does look different... there is visible print (see pic), and whatever the drain-back valve position should be... mine looks flipped. I've posted a pic viewing down at it here to see if anyone else sees it.

On an unfortunate side note... the howl/screech that first alerted me to something being wrong had gotten more quiet, but hasn't gone away completely and I'm still hesitant to drive the vehicle. I'm afraid the damage has been done and it's a matter of time this takes a dump :/

He wants to see pics of my progress and will give me the address to ship this to this coming Monday... To be continued... wish me luck

20171102_001659.jpg

Update on my issue... (With the instruction on how to move forward from the WIX rep Scott Taylor) BTW the "rep Scott" wanted to get into an argument with me that I was using diesel motor oil in a gas engine because when he asked what I use... I told him Rotella T5 synthetic blend "diesel oil". I had to tell him that he was going down the wrong road with me if he wants to say I'm using an improper oil because it meets ALL of the manufacturers specs. At this point in our exchange I had to inform him of my work history at Ford Motor Company, and my technical degree in gas turbine engines, and more than a decade that I've worked in private and military aviation. I also made mention that I was posting my experience in this forum.

So... I took the WIX off and put the OEM/ Toyota filter (with some oil in it) on, Got in the car and turned it over... it started up and the oil pressure needle climbed to the normal range.

No need to suspect a bad oil pump, or anything wrong on my end than a truly defective filter. I don't really know how to spot a defect other than in a side by side comparison with other WIX filters mine does look different... there is visible print (see pic), and whatever the drain-back valve position should be... mine looks flipped. I've posted a pic viewing down at it here to see if anyone else sees it.

On an unfortunate side note... the howl/screech that first alerted me to something being wrong had gotten more quiet, but hasn't gone away completely and I'm still hesitant to drive the vehicle. I'm afraid the damage has been done and it's a matter of time this takes a dump :/

He wants to see pics of my progress and will give me the address to ship this to this coming Monday... To be continued... wish me luck

View attachment 1567523

I wish I knew what I was actually looking at/for in that pic. Comparison pics with a Toyota Filter?

I wish I knew what I was actually looking at/for in that pic. Comparison pics with a Toyota Filter?
I should have taken pics of the Toyota, but I am going to stop by napa and grab an exact filter to both do comparison photos and cut the one I bought open to see if its what I think it is ( a flipped drainback valve). Anyhow, the WIX rep is coming out in person to fill out documents that show I'm surrendering my property so they can evaluate it. I told him I was uneasy with the ethical side to all of this since I can prove the fault lies with their product. I'm still uncomfortable using this vehicle and I'm going to keep it out of service till I have confirmation they're going to cover whatever the associated costs are with a rebuild. I'm still sick to my stomach his all has happened, and would almost bet that the lucas stabilizer kept this from throwing a rod.

You should get a lawyer involved. I hate paying lawyers but I wouldn't trust a company to evaluate their product in a liability case where potentially thousands of dollars are at stake.

I should have taken pics of the Toyota, but I am going to stop by napa and grab an exact filter to both do comparison photos and cut the one I bought open to see if its what I think it is ( a flipped drainback valve). Anyhow, the WIX rep is coming out in person to fill out documents that show I'm surrendering my property so they can evaluate it. I told him I was uneasy with the ethical side to all of this since I can prove the fault lies with their product. I'm still uncomfortable using this vehicle and I'm going to keep it out of service till I have confirmation they're going to cover whatever the associated costs are with a rebuild. I'm still sick to my stomach his all has happened, and would almost bet that the lucas stabilizer kept this from throwing a rod.

Do not cut open that filter without the rep being with you! That’s exactly why they refused to do anything for me.

Do not cut open that filter without the rep being with you! That’s exactly why they refused to do anything for me.
Gotcha... the saga continues... I've now surrendered the property to NAPA. I'm supposed to get a response in a couple more weeks as to how to move forward ( I'm extremely hesitant in thinking they'll admit fault, but have to make good ). I've attempted to start the vehicle up again and now have smoke until it gets warm, and still the noise as if a lathe is turning on a hard cut without lube... I'm a brain injury survivor so this creates a lot of anxiety for me... I hope I'm not screwed :/

20171107_181005.jpg

So Here's the response from these crooked bastards... After reading their response... I'll copy mine below... and let me know if you think I'm going the right direction with this. It goes without saying... I'm mad as hell with these crooked a$$holes. You know they'd never admit to a defective product, but they're playing us for fools if they want us to believe the reasoning's behind the denial.

Here's my response:
Attention: Mike Huffstetler,

My name is Blake Halfacre and I am writing you in response to not covering my defective product claim/ Report: CN281413.

In your response letter (11/29/2018) you informed me that your filter “was found to have the correct conformation to its engineering design”, and that there was a “misapplication not covered by NAPA warranty” stating that you “list the NAPA 1515 series for this particular application”.

You had also stated in your letter that if I needed further assistance concerning this matter to contact you directly.

Well I do need further assistance in this matter… Here’s why…

I’d like to show you proof in your own website part searches (see attached screenshot photos) where you indeed also list the 1348 series filters for this vehicle/ engine type.

First… you need to understand that my specific model of 1996 Lexus LX450 is actually a Re-Badged version of the more prevalent 1996 Toyota Land cruiser. With the exception of a few changes in exterior badges, interior trim pieces, and the sound systems… they are otherwise mechanically identical in their drive train, and sharing identical power trains having the exact same Toyota 4.5 Liter (1FZ-FE) gasoline engines.

I’d like to call to your attention that I was sold this filter by a knowledgeable NAPA customer service tech who used your own database to find a correct filter fitment… not for my specific model vehicle… but instead… for the same manufacturer of the Toyota 4.5 Liter (1FZ-FE) engine.

I challenge anyone to find stamping or identifiers on my engine that indicates it’s anything other than a Toyota 1FZ-FE engine, or that the 1348 filter series is indeed a misapplication by even your own part matching standards.

If this 1348 series filter is considered by you/ NAPA to be the incorrect part… but I can then show objective proof (cross referenced) as the correct or suitable part by instead matching engine types through your own fitment database… My claim cannot be dismissed by reason you’ve listed due to the ambiguity.

The burden of proof is now back on you to show if there are any differences in the Lexus LX450 engine vs the Toyota Landcruiser of the same year… I’ll give you some help… there aren’t any differences.

Here are the facts in my case. After performing an oil and filter change and driving what I thought was a freshly serviced vehicle… I was 200+ miles into discovering simultaneous engine noise and that I had no indicated oil pressure. As a former believer in your products… and as a certified gas turbine engine mechanic I decided to first identify the source of the more common causes of oil pressure loss. First was oil inspection/ level check that was good, and next was the replacement of the filter with a Toyota OEM part after your regional representative’s instructions. The replacement of the filter remedied the indicated pressure loss problem, but unfortunately the audible sign was/ is still present. Not only do I know it was your (now proven) approved fitment filter… I have both audible and visible damage by excessive oil burning at startup that wasn’t present beforehand.

Either this was a defective filter of which the details aren’t being shared with me, or there is improper fitment guidance from your own database resources that can be misinterpreted by NAPA service techs. How your website has different approved parts for identical engines with the differences being potentially damaging is entirely NAPA’s liability.

I’m confident that a pragmatic view of the extrinsic evidence I’m presenting in this claim keeps me within the protections of the warranty, or some other form of legal recompense. I would like to have this matter solved without the use of outside legal counsel, but will do so if my vehicle isn’t brought back to its previous state of reliability.

With hopes of a prompt and fair outcome.

Respectfully

Blake Halfacre

View attachment 1586396

View attachment 1586399

Screenshot_20171204-190619.png

Screenshot_20171204-191923.png

Screenshot_20171204-150925.png

20171204_153028_LI.jpg

To the OP (and I'm posting this for everyone in case it's helpful to others), I am an attorney who has helped a few friends with legal matters over the years (not identical to this situation), and have been practicing for close to 20 years.

My advice is to continue pursuing this through Wix yourself at this time. They surely have a claims department. That's who you need to contact, not the local rep. Yes, they might say it's the wrong filter, but I don't think that is fatal. Their filter caused your engine failure. Just keep repeating that one sentence.

Also, I would pursue the same claim with O'Reilly's. You told them your truck, they handed you a filter. O'Reilly's and Wix can sort out the rest.

I'm hoping you still have the filter off your truck, if not see if they'll give it back to you. You paid for it and it's your property. If they are reluctant to give the filter back I would send them a written demand for its return, and if they say it's destroyed I think that's actually helpful. From what I can tell, you did not give them the filter, you lent it to them for examination of your claim. If they deny your claim, then they could reasonably anticipate you would pursue other avenues (including litigation) and they knowingly destroyed Your Evidence. That is not going to go over well for them in court. Particularly if you did not sign a release of the filter to them whereby you transferred ownership of the faulty filter to them. Who owns the faulty filter? You do, even now. And it's Your Evidence.

I would expect that Wix will offer you something eventually. That will be maybe half of what you would like to get. Then you have to decide if you want to retain a lawyer. If they don't offer you anything, I would try to find a lawyer who will send them a letter with photo attachments, a declaration from you, etc., and make it look very professional, for a flat fee. I would think a lawyer (or lawyer friend who'll do it for free) would do that for a few hundred dollars. Make a specific dollar demand and see what they offer. The flat fee is nice because whatever Wix gives you is yours, the lawyer is not taking a % cut.

Finally, keep track of your time. They will owe you that in the long haul, and you can include it in your demand letter. 10 hours at 50 bucks an hour would not be unreasonable, and would cover the flat fee for a lawyer to send a letter.

Sorry this is so long, I hope it's helpful.

Good luck.

-Russell
If you read forward in this thread you'll see where I'm at... Let me know if you think I'm on the right path...there's enough people getting screwed by WIX I swear we could get a class action going???

In your response letter (11/29/2018) you informed me that your filter “was found to have the correct conformation to its engineering design”, and that there was a “misapplication not covered by NAPA warranty” stating that you “list the NAPA 1515 series for this particular application”.

I would change 2018 to 2017.

I would change 2018 to 2017.
Thanks... 4 years ago I was putting shapes into cups at a neuro recovery clinic from a traumatic brain injury. Things like this prove I'm not out of the woods. I have a plan to buy oil filters from both Lexus and Toyota dealerships keeping the receipts showing the same part #'s.

Time to lawyer up. I see no other way you're going to get any kind of favorable outcome on this.

And that will cost you, possibly netting only the satisfaction of a judgement that doesn't cover what you spent. They have deeper pockets.

Back in the '00s when I started doing 1515's & M1 10/30 oil, Napa was always trying to shove a 1348 at me.

I had to specify I wanted the 1515.

I remember them saying 'both are spec'd' - just recently went back to doing 1515's after finishing off my case of NLA Yota ones from @cruiserdan

Burlington WA Napa 'superstore' 98233 - George Hopper Rd IIRC.

Motorcraft FL1A for the last 18 yrs. No problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom