if you have solar to charge battery/s how is yours set up ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 80 lives outdoors - would make sense that it has a solar panel even if just a small one to keep the aux battery charged.

I have a simple dual-batt setup - identical main and aux batteries linked with a heavy-duty redarc dual-sensing solenoid. Nothing fancy - it works.

Solar would require an adaption to add some sort of multi-input charge controller or just very simple with a Victron mppt charge controller straight to the aux battery.

curious about your charging setup if you have solar, especially if yours is a simple config for stress-free battery charge maintenance.

I have a lensun 100w solar panel on my hood, Dual yellow tops, Ironman4x4 switch, IM4x4 dual battery real time monitor, and a Victron not. My aux runs into my RLB 8 switch setup. It's perfect. The mppt that you can get with the lensun setup is garbage.

All I ever did on my 80 was either plug the regulated solar panels into the anderson plug on the towbar, or alligator clip straight to the aux battery. I had a simple Redarc SB12 VSR to a deep cycle lead-acid aux battery in the RH cradle.

I made a short Y-adapter/pigtail so I could leave the rear anderson connected to the camper and still plug the solar in. No doubt there would be some voltage drop but I never had any problems with a family of four, 45L Engel, various chargers for phones etc, plus 12V TV/DVD.

I have a Weize 100Ah LiFePO4 battery in the cargo area and isolated from cruiser electrical system.
Renogy wanderer charge controller.
Dual 100W panels on the roof. On drawer slides so single panel when driving.

IMG_2739.jpeg
IMG_2738.jpeg

IMG_2741.jpeg

All you need is the panel of your liking and a solar charge controller. Doesn't need to be an MPPT. Wire it to your primary or auxiliary circuit and the isolator will open and charge both batteries.

^^^this. Maybe go soft panel so you can pack it and go. I ran a simple 50 watt panel and 7amp controller for 20 years and it worked ok.
A lot of marine batteries require a high amp charge so start there and figure out what you need.
I know you asked for simple but I recently decided to go the more convenient route with the redarc and 200w panel. I now have the option to do shore power in the garage(110ac), alternator, solar. With the system making the starter battery the priority. It comes with about 100 other option but super happy and only getting started. Far from simple or cheap tho.
The flexible panels are really getting advanced these days and should be considered. The hood panel is pretty sweet, especially if you have duals under the hood.
28910AB8-1592-4DA9-B2F8-C93FBD6B187B.jpeg
C9ADE3C2-CFD2-4EA6-BE40-9A3E0ACDAD13.png
C6579ED8-0D32-4E3D-AE5D-1AFABF5F78A8.png

I run a really basic setup - dual 50w panels to charge controller. Charge controller to 2nd battery. Also have solenoid from starter better to 2nd battery. Only thing the 2nd needs to power is a small center console fridge, phones, and occasional laptop. It’s more than enough

I am running 100watts of permanent mounted solar on my tent w a splitter down on the frame rear passenger by the sunroof drain to add additional portable panels in parallel to give me up to 300 watts if need be. Solar runs to a BCDC which charges my lithium aux batt. System works well for me.

Theres lots of ways to use solar to either power your needs when parked camping, or to just give your start battery a trickle charge. I recommend MPPT and quality panels if you want a long lasting efficient system.

I have two 115w panels on a rtt feeding into a victron mppt which maintains a battleborn house battery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom