Idle Solenoid Non Stop Clicking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening.

Trying to get the last few (apparent) quirks. I bought a carb from Trollhole a couple years back, and then took the whole cruiser apart...its together again. The weird thing that's popped up is the idle solenoid is not clicking non stop as soon as I turn the key to the ACC. The connection has good voltage, and is keyed on only.

Thoughts before I try a new part?

Thanks!

They often need a ground wire attached.

Sorry for the incomplete description. The solenoid, when I turn the key to acc repeatedly clicks, on, off, on ,off, on, off. It continues this when the motor is running and only stops when intake the power away from it. I have not bench tested it yet.

when I turn the key to acc repeatedly clicks
If it bench tests ok, then it's looking like a wiring/earth problem. I've never heard of these solenoids clicking on/off by themselves.
As john mcv says, the carb might be insulated too well from earth and getting a sporadic connection. Hence the need for a earth wire.

Last edited:
Yep, maybe run a separate ground wire. Or an earth wire.👍

Well, let us think about this. Solenoid gets 12 volts with ignition switch. What if the ignition switch is intermittent on the contacts ? The item to see this is oscilloscope. A meter may not respond that fast. My opinion is the ignition switch.

I’m with 1969fj on focusing on power. Disconnect the power lead from the wiring harness and run a jump wire from the + side of the coil to the solenoid instead and see what happens.

Okay, I'll give that a go. I don't have a coil, it came with an HEI, should I just run a jumper off of that lead?

Okay, I'll give that a go. I don't have a coil, it came with an HEI, should I just run a jumper off of that lead?

is this a F1.5 Carb trolehole ?

or a Modified 2F later Trolehole with this style Fuel Cut Solenoid on it ?

if you have the Later below , i have your needed parts solution , and a pile of addional info we can discuss via a PM

let me know how and if i can help in any way ,

thanks matt

1598463163039.png

Well, let us think about this. Solenoid gets 12 volts with ignition switch. What if the ignition switch is intermittent on the contacts ? The item to see this is oscilloscope. A meter may not respond that fast. My opinion is the ignition switch.
I’m with 1969fj on focusing on power. Disconnect the power lead from the wiring harness and run a jump wire from the + side of the coil to the solenoid instead and see what happens.

The in-dash ignition switch would be my next focus point as well , after a SOLID and tripple verified bench test of it .........

so x 3 with 69FJ and mark A ...

see below , i have see the Nylon Electrical Connector on the rear 4 male spade terminals loosen and fall partly off , hence why i offer a NEW OEM Parts hand made by me in-house ALL YAZAKI parts Service Spec. Pigtail , this kills 2 birds with one TEq Parts stone lets just say , solid contact ..........

1598463683591.png

1598463711577.png

1598463768624.png

So...it appeared as though someone plugged the water temp wire to the idle solenoid. All good now. Thanks for the help everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom