I need tunes. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

just wanted to add this to one of the FAQ threads for posterity, I found shaft radios that are not that PYLE POS, but are less than $250...

Vintage Audio - On Line Catalog - Custom Autosound Radio Features and Comparison

less features, but less money... have not tried them yet.

Cal-

Custom Auto Sound = Total Audio Crap in my experience. Tried them for two vintage applications. Both units found their way to the trash. Poor sound and quality.:ban:
Replaced with Alpine units in alternate locations. :clap:
YMMV

caladin said:
just wanted to add this to one of the FAQ threads for posterity, I found shaft radios that are not that PYLE POS, but are less than $250...

Vintage Audio - On Line Catalog - Custom Autosound Radio Features and Comparison

less features, but less money... have not tried them yet.

Cal-

What's wrong with Pyle? Yea they are $25.00 but hey if they get wet while out driving no big deal. Alot better than losing $100 or $200 bucks. The Pyle I just installed works great and the tunes sound just fine coming from the speakers. Plus I can either hook a mp3 player directly into the unit or a memory card with music on it. Not bad for something that's most likely going to get ruined eventually by weather and for $25.00 shipped off amazon
image-4154301707.jpg

Oh not to mention the Pyle doesn't have all that fanciness that allures to thieves. That's why I went with the older turn knob tuner instead of the digital tuner because i figured anything that might appear as nice or up to date technology might find itself missing from my cruiser in the morning.

Stereo

I did not want to cut up the dash or anywhere else for that matter, so went with Sirius satelite radio (glued/taped to the dash,amp under drivers seat, EQ between the seats, (under the Tuffy console) controls everything. I also have a removable 10" enclosed 'shallow' sub box for pick-up's behind the back seat.
This system ROCKS ...
Steve

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/SCOBRA48/BIG Blue/Tankrackcarpet.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/SCOBRA48/BIG Blue/SateliteRadio.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/SCOBRA48/BIG Blue/CustomStereoRack-1.jpg

I have a Sony head unit mounted in a Tuffy center console. It has a rear AUX port that I hooked to a jack so I can plug in my iPod/iPhone/IPad/other. I also hooked up a rotary switch so my CB, Uniden 520XL mounted in main compartment of Tuffy console, can also feed through the Sony's AUX port and out the speakers. I put my speakers in the the kick panel speaker mounts that SOR sells.

Jimk, could you go into more detail on the rotary switch, maybe pix, and how you did the connections, with only one AUX input to accept multiple inputs? I'm liking the idea of using the bose speakers for the cb...

Thanks, Dan

PO had a Pioneer deck in the box between the seats; I added these nice Polk Audio Atrium 4 outdoor speakers behind the seats:

6388936361_3879e16f54.jpg

They are about 1/2 off MSRP right now on Amazon, and for around $100, you can't go wrong.

Last edited:
Jimk, could you go into more detail on the rotary switch, maybe pix, and how you did the connections, with only one AUX input to accept multiple inputs? I'm liking the idea of using the bose speakers for the cb...

Thanks, Dan

I have a Sony CDX-F50M marine head unit with the AUX port in the back. The AUX port is actually two RCA jacks vs the stereo headphone jack most front-mounted AUX ports use.

I bought everything I needed from RadioShack because it was convenient. If I were to order the parts from say DigiKey I might purchase slightly different ones.

I used this rotary switch. It has 2 poles and 6 positions though I'm only using 2 positions. I cut down the shaft because it's really long. This is one part where a 2 or maybe 3 position switch would be more useful but RadioShack only carries this one with more than one pole. Note that having two poles is required for stereo operation:

2-Pole, 6-Position Rotary Switch

And then I added this knob:

Blue Insert Control Knob

I also purchased this headphone jack. The threaded portion is really too short for the thickness of the Tuffy console but I got it to work:

1/8" Stereo Panel-Mount Audio Jack (2-Pack)

Then I bought two cables to cut in half, a mono audio cable with a 1/8" plug on it to connect to the external speaker jack of the CB. Like this one but I think it was only 3 ft.

6-Ft. Shielded Cable, 1/8" Plug to 1/8" Plug

And a cheap stereo patch cable with RCA jacks on the ends. This one would work but I think it's nicer than the one I bought.

6-Ft. Stereo Patch Cable, Dual-RCA Plugs

Here is a simple schematic

Screen Shot 2012-03-28 at 10.55.42 AM.png

And here is what is looks like in the truck:

DSCI0015.jpg
Screen Shot 2012-03-28 at 10.55.42 AM.png
DSCI0015.jpg

Custom Auto Sound = Total Audio **** in my experience. Tried them for two vintage applications. Both units found their way to the trash. Poor sound and quality.:ban:
Replaced with Alpine units in alternate locations. :clap:
YMMV

You are doubly proved correct, because they are too wide to fit in the pre cut hole in the dash, so you'll have to pull enough stuff out to put it in from the back, like oh say the whole heater... sigh

Don't buy their product.

Pictorial proof of my shame

2012-05-12_23-29-36_461.jpg

I didn't' want to use the pyle one because it has terrible reviews on Amazon, like they die in a couple of weeks consistently...
all I want is aux in, and reliable, though half way decent sound is nice too.

Last edited:
Sheck44 said:
I did not want to cut up the dash or anywhere else for that matter, so went with Sirius satelite radio (glued/taped to the dash,amp under drivers seat, EQ between the seats, (under the Tuffy console) controls everything. I also have a removable 10" enclosed 'shallow' sub box for pick-up's behind the back seat.
This system ROCKS ...
Steve

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/SCOBRA48/BIG Blue/Tankrackcarpet.jpghttp://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/SCOBRA48/BIG Blue/Tankrackcarpet.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/SCOBRA48/BIG Blue/SateliteRadio.jpghttp://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/SCOBRA48/BIG Blue/SateliteRadio.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/SCOBRA48/BIG Blue/CustomStereoRack-1.jpghttp://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/SCOBRA48/BIG Blue/CustomStereoRack-1.jpg

Looks fantastic. I think I've given you props before, but it doesn't hurt to say it twice.

Do you have a sound system thread detailing your set up? If not, you should make one!

Appreciate the help, Jimk, you obviously have a good head for electronics.

Thanks, Dan

Well, my educational background is BS and MS in Electrical Engineering, so one would kind of hope I'd have some idea how to do something like this. ;)

Wow, there are some really clean rigs on this post. Sometimes you have a Cruiser that has really been butchered up. Such is the case with my rig. When I bought it there was a radio in the hole and another under the dash with some weird toggle switch activity in the dash requiring the hole radio be turned on before the under dash unit would work. I completely rewired and re-instrumented my rig because the wiring was just so horrible it wasn't worth the stress to try and sort out, or to undo the two or three dozen rolls of gummy black tape holding everything together since apparently solder was too expensive to use. So I bought a pretty cheap Kenwood single CD unit and tried to crowd the hole as far to the right as possible so not to have any worse mess than was already there. The speakers came with the rig and actually sound very good and I left them where they came, under the seats. Works great, sounds good.

The rig above that has the forward facing rear seat and the nice looking front seat frame rack over the old style gas tank (like mine). How the heck do people get into that back seat? I so love the ritual required to allow people to get in the back of mine, rotate rear tire, raise lift door (I installed a gas cylinder), open left rear door, open right rear door. Reverse to close up, such fun.

DSCN2505.JPG

DSCN2509.JPG

DSCN3146.JPG

DSCN3146.JPG

Hiya, has anyone mounted a CD player vertically? I was thinking of sticking one in an ammo can in the center.
Thanks, Ty
:beer:

Thanks, Redgrrr. I'll probably post more photos in a few weeks. I'm waiting on some upholstery work to be completed. I wasn't good about taking photos during the build, but I'll have plenty of the finished truck.
Yes... please!

Thanks, Redgrrr. I'll probably post more photos in a few weeks. I'm waiting on some upholstery work to be completed. I wasn't good about taking photos during the build, but I'll have plenty of the finished truck.
Fancy Dash, you got there Mug's.

Here is what I installed just a few weeks ago. A Kenwood KRC-1006 head unit. This was selected for the light green back-light color and it is a decent unit for putting out some tunes. At night it matches the OEM dash pad & heater controller lights....Me Likes! :hillbilly:

IMG_1818.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom