I need an engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nothing wrong with old technology. Carbs are easier and cheaper than fuel injection. :)

I fiddle with my carbed 2F way more than my EFI 3FE... plus the idle. EFI is sooooo nice once it's done right.

I agree with cheap and easy.

2F; heck, even a 3FE...

chevy ls swap is growing on me in my old age. having done Camaros and big old fords, I've decided that MORE is not always better. the ls will be a lot easier on the gas tank than a carbed 350, but cost more outright.

bear in mind, in Cali, you must use a motor that is the same year or newer; AND the same size or bigger, unmodified, with all of its stock trappings in order to pass C.A.R.B.

Any 2f will work as it is the same series of motor essentially a stock replacement motor. With the correct 1978 smog equipment (or something that will pass the visual inspection.) You would just get a smog test like normal..

When you swap in another motor other than the 2f is where it gets different. Then you have to go to a smog referee and the motor has to, as reddingcruiser said be newer and improve what comes out the tailpipe. This straight from the carb web page

Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:
  • The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

• The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.

• If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

• All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.
After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.

While all that is true, when I was looking into this about 5 years ago and from what I remember there was (don't know if there still is) some sort of "CAP" or allowance per year of vehicles that are approved through the BAR, and it wasn't as simple as installing everything and bringing it in for a quick inspection. at that time, if you didn't schedule with the BAR by the end of January you may have been waiting until the following January...

With a $2,000 budget your in a hard spot. how much of the original smog equipment is left? its all going to need to be in place and working for CA inspection... I would maybe look for a wrecked vehicle or "part-out" because you will need every little hose and valve to get that system working, and those parts will nickel and dime you to death

Sadly, this has created a simple rule for me (living in California) I will not buy a 1976-1985 or so GAS vehicle in Cali. I looked at a few '76 or '77 FJs years ago, knowing that a '75 or older has no restrictions or testing was too appealing. while its expected that you keep emission related equipment in place and operational, its not policed.

I fiddle with my carbed 2F way more than my EFI 3FE... plus the idle. EFI is sooooo nice once it's done right.

2F; heck, even a 3FE...

chevy ls swap is growing on me in my old age. having done Camaros and big old fords, I've decided that MORE is not always better. the ls will be a lot easier on the gas tank than a carbed 350, but cost more outright.

bear in mind, in Cali, you must use a motor that is the same year or newer; AND the same size or bigger, unmodified, with all of its stock trappings in order to pass C.A.R.B.

You guys must be doing something wrong. After my initial set up I have never had to fiddle with the carb, timing or anything else and it has been running smooth for the past few years. Just changed plugs once. If the adjustments keep going off scale then there is something else wrong.

Probably the easiest would be a 2f or possibly a 3b diesel which you could turbo later if you wanted. But I know nothing of california emission laws when it comes to swapping in a 3b and if its allowed.
Definitely a 2F. But what @White Stripe mentioned came also into my mind, why not a Toyota diesel, are Californian motor vehicle laws favorable or unfavorable towards diesels?

I swapped a 87 2F into my 76 FJ40 for around $1k several years ago. It's not that hard, I did all the work myself over a couple of days. I reused all my 76 era accessories and it's still running great. Engines look identical to one another installed, aside from the valve cover and "dented" side cover plate. I doubt the Kalafornia smog Nazis would notice such small details. Good luck!

A Toyota diesels is what I was looking for. But I know those older diesels are quite pricey.

I'll sell you a 3B out of an 83 or 84 EU BJ42 if you want to go the early diesel route. It is already on a pallet & can be shipped to near you pretty easily. I also have the 5-speed/transfer case that came stock on the truck as well, but that would get you well past your estimated price range.200,000km's on the set up.

2F; heck, even a 3FE...

There are numerous speed equip. parts that are legal in Calif. My Edelbrock cam is Calif. legal and came with documentation for the smog Nazis. Not saying everything is, but it would be possible to do a upgrade. My engine was a universal replacement for '70's thru '80's chevys.
I admit that the 2F would be the easiest, but that is why we are into 'cruisers because we don't like anything easy. :steer:

what would be a good price for a good running 2f vs a decent 2f motor that needs some work.
I dont know much about engine pricing.
on craigslist i found a 2f that was just rebuilt 30 miles from where i live, the guys selling it for $1800

Price aside, does the owner have receipts, will he provide the name of the shop that did the work? How much work was done? Bore, hone, new pistons and rings? Cylinder head work included?

Rebuilt means different things to different people.

Once you know the specifics you'll have a better idea of what it's worth, or at least 'mud folks can give you a better idea of the value.

@deanfj40 the reality is that if you don't now have any smog equipment, you are likely screwed. There is no new smog equipment available, so everything you use will be old, worn out, and probably not even working. And it's crazy money. Your budget will be spent on nothing but smog gear, and then you'd still need a running motor.

I went the other way. Bought a 71 frame and title, and swapped the entire truck onto the new frame. Then desmogged the motor since legally the truck is a '71. It was several weekends worth of work, but not as bad as I thought, and I've had 10 years respite from the smog guys. And a desmogged 2F runs surprisingly well.

Because even when it's all done and can pass smog, it has to pass again every 2 years. And 78 smog gear was poor to begin with and hasn't improved the last 40 years.

I think you're going to need to re-evaluate your budget. Nothing wrong with a good running 2F, but getting it to pass smog is a nightmare.

Motor wise, I'd look for a used but running 2F out of an FJ60. Usually a bunch around for $500 or so. Make sure you can see/hear it run before you buy and hopefully get at least a compression test. Any newly installed 2F is going to deserve a carb rebuild, so that's $350 right there. By the time you add belts, waterpumps, thermostats, gaskets, and exhaust etc, you're close to your stated budget, especially if paying someone to do the work. Don't forget you need a bellhousing, flywheel, clutch etc. Hopefully you have some of that. It all adds up fast.

And to do a V8 swap you are looking at WAY more than your budget, just be aware. Doesn't sound like you'll do this yourself, and a clean swap and install could easily be $10,000++

Any relatives in nearby states where you could register your truck? Not that this is legal, but it might be your best recourse.

2x the frame and title route, same way i went. Way easier than your current path. If you buy it right you can keep the frame and title, and you can part the donor rig to recover some of your costs.

Remember you can update emmissions parts so you could technically swap a complete 2f out of a fj60 with all the fj60 smog stuff. Wouldnt tell them anything 90% of the smog techs will have no idea that there was a difference..just make it look stock and that the egr works...

Remember you can update emmissions parts so you could technically swap a complete 2f out of a fj60 with all the fj60 smog stuff. Wouldnt tell them anything 90% of the smog techs will have no idea that there was a difference..just make it look stock and that the egr works...

This could work but would need a catalytic convertor. I don't think the 78 had one but I'm not certain.

This could work but would need a catalytic convertor. I don't think the 78 had one but I'm not certain.

I did this for years in my fj55... till it grew 4 years older one day;)... with the cat and ecu, and everything on an fj60 2f, it’ll work. Technically, that combo could even be reffed. If a guy wanted the headache or found a cali smog nazi smog shop genius who knew what was up and hated you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom