I Need a Good Mechanic!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I have a 2004 LC that needs a new torque converter according to Toyota. They want to charge me $3300 to replace it. Can someone honestly give me a good suggestion for a mechanic in the Portland, OR surrounding area that's familiar with these LC's?

Also, what cost should I really be looking at?

Thank you, thank you!

I would ask you what problems you are having and why Toyota thinks the TC needs to be replaced?

There are multiple forums documenting similar diagnosis and it ends up being something less major but I would like to know more details.

I would ask you what problems you are having and why Toyota thinks the TC needs to be replaced?

There are multiple forums documenting similar diagnosis and it ends up being something less major but I would like to know more details.
The vehicle shudders between 30-40mph. Not everytime but a couple times an outing. Fairly violently. The whole vehicle shakes. As soon as I let off the gas it stops.

The vehicle shudders between 30-40mph. Not everytime but a couple times an outing. Fairly violently. The whole vehicle shakes. As soon as I let off the gas it stops.

Hmmm bummer.... I guess just based on the very low ( if any ) failures ever reported of the 100 series TC I would want a second opinion as it may be something else happening.

Anyone out there know of failing torque converters on the 100?

Any chance it's something like wheel balance or drive shaft related?

this is from the 60 series tech, maybe there is someone listed close by

I'm with @Mike NXP not sure I've heard of a torque convertor being bad

I don't buy it being a Torque converter doing that. Hopefully someone has a good recommendation in Portland.

Reactions: MJK
Changing your tranny fluid may help, and it is a LOT cheaper to try than replacing the torque converter to start.

If I could find this info in a 5 second google search, so could the Mr. T technician.

If it actually ends up being your torque converter, a mom n pop shop would probably charge you to around 1,000-1200 to swap it out with a reman'd converter.

Im with everyone else though...seems like dealerships go straight to the big ticket item without troubleshooting.

There’s actually a TSB for 04 land cruisers that’s sounds similar to what you’re experiencing:

Drop the pan. Change the filter. Refill with a good synthetic fluid. Drive for a week. Drain the fluid. Refill with the same good synthetic fluid. put a known good additive in it. I like lube guard with shudder additive. Should see improvement. From a tech with 25 plus years experience.

Another troubleshooting step you may take is put it down on the lower gears rather than D. Drive and observe one gear set at a time if it shudders violently or not, this way you isolate the gears themselves inside the tranny. If the shudder happens on all gears, it “could” be the tc, or maybe something else. A fresh and clean set of AT fluid will definitely help.

Whereas Toyota came out with the TBS on shutter at low speed. Which they first replaced transmission under warranty. Then came out with vent kit, thinking moisture getting in transmission was issue. They subsequent lowered the ATF temp at which we top fluid too. This means factory under filled our 04- transmissions. Under new guideline (97-115F) we now add more ATF than factory fill.

Many in mud reported doing a full flush corrected the issues of low speed shutter.

So I'd flush with Toyota WS ATF and set level with fluid temp at 97F (97F to 115F new recommendation). 97F will max the level.

Last edited:
BTW: One other thing you may want to look at, is misfires (through Tech stream). Do this while engine under load by transmission (hold foot on brake, transmission in "D", raise RPMs). Even better, during shutter while driving. I've found COP (coils) that will misfire only under load. Misfire acts just like a transmission issue!

Dealership "Toyotas are super reliable, buy one" also "your transmission is shot".

Reality "you just need new fluid at an updated spec" and "we won't make money off you if you don't turn over vehicles more often".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom