I love my 2016 8 speed tranny with TSB 0209-17 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Rodwilsonsr get the pedal commander. It's a plug to the gas pedal, nothing else for the install. Set it to Sport +3 and see if this resolves the issue. There is a 30 day return policy and it's only ~$200. Everyone says this is making a huge difference on 2016+ with the factory laggy drive by wire

Earlier in the thread we were discussing Pedal Commander and Sprint Booster which it the original company of the product.

If anyone is interested I got hold of some sprint booster units at a lower price than sold online as bought bulk. I have an extra one for LC if anyone is interested. I may have one for 4Runner too as may wife has mixed feeling about it on her 4Runner after trying it over the weekend. Install takes 2 min. PM me and will provide details.

I returned the pedal commander and got the sprint booster just for the controller size alone.

2019-07-30 18.39.05.jpg

After having the TSB completed I plugged in the pedal commander. Hated it. Back to jerking shifts. Very responsive but drove terrible. I took it off after a week.

Fast forward to a week ago and I decided to give it another try. This time, I installed it the correct way. I disconnected the negative battery cable. Plugged it in. And reconnected the battery.

100% improvement. I absolutely love the way it responds and shifts now. With the Bluetooth function I can completely hide the controller and use the phone app to change settings if I want to.

City +1 is pretty perfect IMO. I wish I had taken my time and installed it correctly the first time around.

I just had the transmission TSB applied and in the 70 or so miles since, the difference is wonderful. So much smoother and better behaved. I now like the 8 speed!

The Good: Got the updated software in my LC last night, per TSB 0209-17, and the 1->2 shift thunk is no longer apparent. If I brake hard I do still feel a thunk going from 2->1, but the degree of 'thunki-ness' has been substantially reduced. It also feels as though the cruise control is WAAAY less aggressive in its attempts to control the speed. Previously it would more or less redline itself if I came over a steep rise in road and the truck picked up some speed on the downhill. Engine braking now seems far-reduced. All in all pretty pumped on the improvement.

The Bad: I paid 127.20 (120 in labor) to remedy an issue that arguably should have never existed, but upon driving it, I immediately forgot about the money, and just enjoyed the silence. The person I spoke with on the phone upon booking the appointment input the wrong TSB# on intake records, which ended up resulting in me waiting 1.5 hours before anyone asked me what the issue with my truck was... When they finally came to let me know, he basically told me that the tech couldnt recreate the hard shifting, I offered to drive it for them, but he declined my offer, and said they would just update it anyway... Upon cashing out, the advisor more or less spoke to me like a 16 year old, who had just learned to drive, informing me that it was a "learning" transmission and that some of the clunking I felt may have actually been user error. I just shook my head, and asked if we were finished, and if I could leave now. LOL. I heard it mentioned above, but it bears repeating; working with the dealership has been the only thing about LC ownership that I do not enjoy. /endrant

The Good: Got the updated software in my LC last night, per TSB 0209-17, and the 1->2 shift thunk is no longer apparent. If I brake hard I do still feel a thunk going from 2->1, but the degree of 'thunki-ness' has been substantially reduced. It also feels as though the cruise control is WAAAY less aggressive in its attempts to control the speed. Previously it would more or less redline itself if I came over a steep rise in road and the truck picked up some speed on the downhill. Engine braking now seems far-reduced. All in all pretty pumped on the improvement.

The Bad: I paid 127.20 (120 in labor) to remedy an issue that arguably should have never existed, but upon driving it, I immediately forgot about the money, and just enjoyed the silence. The person I spoke with on the phone upon booking the appointment input the wrong TSB# on intake records, which ended up resulting in me waiting 1.5 hours before anyone asked me what the issue with my truck was... When they finally came to let me know, he basically told me that the tech couldnt recreate the hard shifting, I offered to drive it for them, but he declined my offer, and said they would just update it anyway... Upon cashing out, the advisor more or less spoke to me like a 16 year old, who had just learned to drive, informing me that it was a "learning" transmission and that some of the clunking I felt may have actually been user error. I just shook my head, and asked if we were finished, and if I could leave now. LOL. I heard it mentioned above, but it bears repeating; working with the dealership has been the only thing about LC ownership that I do not enjoy. /endrant

When was the last time you greased all the U-joints?

Hey all,

I have a 2006 UZJ120, a 2018 GRN280 (5th gen 4Runner since no one uses codes in that world) and a 2021 URJ200. The UZJ120 drives amazing. Plenty of power, shifts like butter, it really just cooperates with whatever is asked of it. I'm a bit concerned with the URJ200. I have similar experiences to what is written above; 2->1 shift is not great and makes slowing at stoplights somewhat jerky, driving around parking lots with lots of 1<->2 shifts feels like its fighting you a bit. I also experienced the really aggressive cruise control during rolling hills. None of these are deal-breakers, but the 15 year old UZJ120 drives so much nicer, it has me wondering WTF is going on. I figured maybe the trans needed some time to break in, but we're coming up on our 5000 mile service. It might be a smidge better, but still leagues behind the 120.

I would think the updated software would have been installed from the factory on a '21, right? Any other newer cruisers experiencing these symptoms still?

Can someone outline where I can check the software in TechStream?

I’m curious now to what I’m running.

Am I right to assume that if I drive a MY 2018 I do not need this TSB update?

Most likely yes. Still wondering how i can check at home.

So the TSB costs money? I had asked my dealer about it, but wouldn’t do anything without agreeing to a diagnostic fee and then another fee to implement. Seems like an issue from the factory, so I was surprised to hear.

So the TSB costs money? I had asked my dealer about it, but wouldn’t do anything without agreeing to a diagnostic fee and then another fee to implement. Seems like an issue from the factory, so I was surprised to hear.
I’m going to check next week for mine as well. Pretty excited to see if it helps. I honestly got pretty nervous when I first started feeling the clunks — thinking I just bought one with problems. Fingers crossed.

I got the same runaround from my dealer, claiming that my vehicle VIN didn't apply, but they eventually did the TSB for free. I had to agree to pay for an hour of labor, and after a "diagnostic", test drive, and seeing how obviously bad the shifting was they gave in and did it free of charge.

It’s a grey area. A TSB is simply communication to dealers about how to do a repair. It’s not a recall. Within warranty, the work is free if a problem exists in the vehicle. Out of warranty sometimes simply things like the transmission reflash TSB are also free. Mine cost me the labor time, which was about a half hour.

I got the same runaround from my dealer, claiming that my vehicle VIN didn't apply, but they eventually did the TSB for free. I had to agree to pay for an hour of labor, and after a "diagnostic", test drive, and seeing how obviously bad the shifting was they gave in and did it free of charge.

I wonder if the TSB is a red herring if your vehicle wasn’t part of the TSB range but was still shifting poorly. Mine was made years after the TSB was released but has obviously bad shifting.

I was looking through the docs in the Toyota Information Service archive for the 200 and found a procedure for “reinitializing” the transmission to reset the timing and pressures and lockup ranges for the transmission. I wonder if the reinitialization is happening as part of the TSB procedure regardless of transmission software version update.

Waiting for our next oil change to find a dealer that will play ball on the transmission.

I wonder if the TSB is a red herring if your vehicle wasn’t part of the TSB range but was still shifting poorly. Mine was made years after the TSB was released but has obviously bad shifting.

I was looking through the docs in the Toyota Information Service archive for the 200 and found a procedure for “reinitializing” the transmission to reset the timing and pressures and lockup ranges for the transmission. I wonder if the reinitialization is happening as part of the TSB procedure regardless of transmission software version update.

Waiting for our next oil change to find a dealer that will play ball on the transmission.
The tsb alone immediately resolved the shifting harshness, with no other changes. ymmv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom