I love my 2016 8 speed tranny with TSB 0209-17 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Man, this thing is a pleasure to drive. With the TSB the transmission shifts like a dream and provides a superior driving experience. That is all.

What’s the production date on your 16? My 16 is shifting rough and dealership says no TSB on my vin. Production date on mine is 6/16

What’s the production date on your 16? My 16 is shifting rough and dealership says no TSB on my vin. Production date on mine is 6/16
Mine's March of 2016. I told the dealership that I wanted TSB 0209-17 and that it was a warranty item. They said "no problem" and made it so. All of the harsh shifting in 1st and 2nd gear is gone. I do think the Pedal Commander made a difference too, but the TSB made a huge difference.

Thank you. After further discussion the dealer will be doing the right thing.

My production date is 09/15 and they did it for me. My VIN was within the range it applied toward.

Man, this thing is a pleasure to drive. With the TSB the transmission shifts like a dream and provides a superior driving experience. That is all.
I’m at a dealer having it done now! Took some discussion but they agreed to do it.

Good to hear the TSB is helping the rough shifting issues on the 8speed.

Does anyone know if the 8spd tranny on the LX is the same as the one used in the 2017/8 AWD Highlander? A quick Google search suggests the new tranny on the 2017/2018 Highlander and Sienna also has issues with shifting and even reports of failing transmissions needing a new replacement. Not sure if the reports are credible, fwiw.

I believe Sienna and Highlander are different transmissions.

I have had the TCM reflash done today by my dealer (2017 LC200). They seemed somewhat reluctant to do it, and kept asking if I'm having issues. My response was this is my first LC200 and I have no basis for comparison.
I do ask and pay for extra maintenance all the time to have oil changed every 5k and lubrication points etc, so I guess maybe that helped convince them?

I did say the shifting is far from ideal. In fact, I've been keeping the ECT PWR mode button ON for the last 6 months as I like those shifting points a bit more.

So, half a day of driving AFTER the TCM reflash - I can not believe how smooth the shifting feels. It is remarkable.
I'm back in the regular mode, too (the ECT PWR button is OFF), and loving it.

Wonder if my fuel economy will improve.

Thanks everyone for education - so glad I frequent this forum, great information!

--

I just traded in my 2011 for a 2016 with 4000 miles on it. I was pretty excited to find this 2016. The shifting from first to second is making me nuts. If I roll through an intersection at a low speed and step on the gas, the tranny seems confused to pick 1st or 2nd. From a dead stop if I ease into the gas, the shift from 1st to 2nd seems to feel like a couple of skips or bumps during the shift...hard to explain what if feels like. Sometimes its a subtle bump/skip feeling, sometimes it's very noticeable.

All the other 3 through 8 shifting is like butter up or down. it's this 1 to 2 that seems like a mess.
I had the T-SB-0209-17 Rev2 done at one dealer and I noticed no difference from 1 to 2. This dealer also said they noticed no problem.
I took it to another dealer to verify the update was done, which they said it was and they said they noticed no issues either.

I can use the ETC 2nd button and the LC shifts wonderfully. Avoiding 1st with the button brings me alot of relief.

I'm ready to scream or trade this in for something different.
Anyone have any suggestions?

After the update I have no issues with the shifting in my 2016, although it does rev easily at 1st gear...I assume low gearing for off-road power even in 4hi. I’m very gentle with the gas pedal. You may get used to the shifting with more time behind the wheel. But if you like the shifting better with ETC PWR, then leave it on all the time. Lots of people do, and it doesn’t make a meaningful difference in gas mileage. Everyone’s driving style is different and you may just prefer ETC PWR.

I just traded in my 2011 for a 2016 with 4000 miles on it. I was pretty excited to find this 2016. The shifting from first to second is making me nuts. If I roll through an intersection at a low speed and step on the gas, the tranny seems confused to pick 1st or 2nd. From a dead stop if I ease into the gas, the shift from 1st to 2nd seems to feel like a couple of skips or bumps during the shift...hard to explain what if feels like. Sometimes its a subtle bump/skip feeling, sometimes it's very noticeable.

All the other 3 through 8 shifting is like butter up or down. it's this 1 to 2 that seems like a mess.
I had the T-SB-0209-17 Rev2 done at one dealer and I noticed no difference from 1 to 2. This dealer also said they noticed no problem.
I took it to another dealer to verify the update was done, which they said it was and they said they noticed no issues either.

I can use the ETC 2nd button and the LC shifts wonderfully. Avoiding 1st with the button brings me alot of relief.

I know this sounds odd, but the super low 1-3 gears seems to prefer a larger tire than stock. It's a good "problem" to have assuming you want to go with bigger tires, and after I added 285/70/18 tires, the Pedal Commander and had the TSB done I felt like the truck drove perfectly. Even now with more weight, front/rear bumpers, etc. I still feel like it drives just right and have zero complaints about the transmission - quite the opposite actually.

I know this sounds odd, but the super low 1-3 gears seems to prefer a larger tire than stock. It's a good "problem" to have assuming you want to go with bigger tires, and after I added 285/70/18 tires, the Pedal Commander and had the TSB done I felt like the truck drove perfectly. Even now with more weight, front/rear bumpers, etc. I still feel like it drives just right and have zero complaints about the transmission - quite the opposite actually.

Interesting. I was reading another thread about the bigger tires which seems to make some sense. Did you experience the 1 to 2 shifting skipping/bump feeling at all?
I am reading up on the Pedal Commander...very neat stuff.

Interesting. I was reading another thread about the bigger tires which seems to make some sense. Did you experience the 1 to 2 shifting skipping/bump feeling at all?
I am reading up on the Pedal Commander...very neat stuff.

To be honest, I only kept my truck stock for a couple of days before I did the TSB, fresh brakes, added tires, sliders, lift, drawers, etc. I didn't notice much rough shifting. I got everything done up front to avoid any "problems", but I don't recall experiencing them.

Just a couple ideas...
  • Given my own experience with Bay Area dealers, I'm wouldn't have much confidence that the TSB was actually applied. I wonder if you could validate this with TechStream? This seems unlikely but just a thought.
  • Make sure your driveshafts are greased.
  • As you mentioned, the workaround using ETC Power and/or ETC 2nd should help but I totally get that it's a bummer to make that the default mode.
  • I recall a tech telling me that there's a process for resetting the "learned" shift patterns of the system. I would imagine that would be reset during the TSB update. Perhaps it's still learning OR it needs to be reset? Not even sure if this is a real thing, though, so take this point with a grain of salt.
  • Add a Pedal Commander.

• I recall a tech telling me that there's a process for resetting the "learned" shift patterns of the system. I would imagine that would be reset during the TSB update. Perhaps it's still learning OR it needs to be reset? Not even sure if this is a real thing, though, so take this point with a grain of salt.

My intel from the Tacoma guys is that the TSB resets the learned shift patterns. I had no way to verify though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom