1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just found out - headrest

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by DSRTRDR, Aug 6, 2005.

1. DSRTRDR

DSRTRDR I can mangle anything ... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Although the factory bench in my cruiser came without a headrest and from what I understand, the early '72 models never had one, the passenger seatback in the bench actually has a provision (two shafts in an angle bracket bolted to the seat frame) for accepting a headrest. Found that out after removing the seat back cover [original purpose was to just backfill a small hole in the seat cover]. I like the idea of upgrading passenger safety and now, I am looking for an OEM headrest, preferably blue or grey. Does anyone have one left over/for sale?

2. 74fj40

74fj40

try the parts wanted forum under the classified section

3. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, I found that on my 9/70, too. Bought the headrests, even. Then, I never got around to putting them in and resold them. Too convenient to hop over the seat into the back.

Well, it's a good idea, Claudia.

4. DSRTRDR

Media:
    Albums:
    iDave,

too bad you don't have the headrest anymore. I am thinking maybe they haven't changed that much and I can use one from another Toyota car from the junkyard (would you believe $OR charges $95 for a used one? That must have triggered the "buy-it-now" $100 price for what looks to be a ratty one on Ebay.). Anyway, with measurements, calipers and tape in hand, this maybe cause for my first run to "U-Pick" (went with my husband the other month, gotta see a whole new different world out there.........).

5. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, the support rods have to be the right diameter and spacing.

Those I had had cracked vinyl. They make new vinyl covers for them. I actually have two of those left over.

6. DSRTRDR

Media:
    Albums:
    The plastic holding tubes were still perfect. Everything looked as if it had never been touched, except this finding:

one of the tubes had neatly folded bubble gum foil stuck in it. Go figure. I just cannot see how something could get there by accident, this is under a seat covering. Maybe the seat covers were indeed replaced once a long time ago by that loving PO (there was one PO, must have been about 10 years ago, who did everything right to this truck; commendable - his work is what endears the truck to me - he built it to be a Moab-capable wheeler, but he did not skimp; I'd like to know that guy, he really knew what he was doing, even adjusted speedometer for larger tire size). I doubt someone snuck the wrapper in during original Toyota assembly (particularly since it had the same dimensions as a Wrigleys - but you never know.....). My husband says: Renegade japanese production crew.

Department of Homeland Security: is there a special test I should run on that wrapper?

Now, this is getting twisted, and the evening is getting late, good night. Claudia

7. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    Albums:
    so what years started having the headrests?

my 71 has the holes for the headrests, pretty sure they're there on drivers side and passenger.

anyone checked with C-dan to see if theyre still available?

8. DSRTRDR

Media:
    Albums:
    not yet - I understand he is on vacation.

I haven't checked the driver's side, was planning on getting an aftermarket seat that is less mattress-like (meaning less bouncy) and provides more support.

9. dfmorse

dfmorse

My '73 had headrests