I impulse bought my first LC 80 ...and I'm already regretting it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I'm really banking that the shop didn't know about the LSPV (still haven't look it up myself) and just bleed them wrong.

Definitely bleed brakes, cost nothing, but don't expect to do it in five minutes.
Do a search, bleeding brakes on an 80 is a bit tricky because of the LSPV

Yep, still, same as above. Only cost you a few bucks, and a little bit of time. At least you can be certain before shelling out more cash

I know I'm a couple of months late to this party, but SMOG is no problem. Just clear the CEL & take it in. If it passes the sniffer (which shouldn't be an issue unless you've got major problems; the limits on the 3FE are SOOOO high), you're golden.

To clear the codes, pop the EFI relay, located in the under hood fuse box, out for 30 seconds; put it back & CEL is GONE.

OBD I vehicles DON'T require all the cycles to register for the SMOG machine to pass it (NO PORT for the machine to talk to your Cruiser through).

As long as the CEL is NOT lit up, the ignition timing and idle speed are set within spec, it passes the SNIFFER, and it passes the VISUAL (basically making sure everything that's supposed to be there IS & there's nothing that SHOULDN'T be there) your SMOG passes.

Here are a couple of steps to take to help ensure you pass -

- Go DRIVE it for 20-30 minutes at freeway speeds IMMEDIATELY BEFORE taking it to the SMOG shop. This ensures your CAT's are good and HOT, making them more efficient at burning up any unburned fuel dumped into the exhaust (which is what they were designed to do).

- Try to ensure the SMOG shop tests it right away. You want those CAT's hot for the test; so having your Cruiser (or ANY vehicle, for that matter) sit around for an hour or two before testing is kinda counterproductive to that.

- If you're unsure as to HOW it's gonna fare on the sniffer test, request a PRE-TEST. Essentially, they'll run the full SMOG, but the machine WON'T be connected to DMV. This will cost you a bit more, BUT if the thing is putting out a ridiculous amount of emissions, it won't get flagged as a GROSS POLLUTER in the State's system (which carries a whole bunch of headaches). If it fails, they'll tell you & if it passes, they'll just run the test again, but on the books this time.

As for the CEL, it takes about 75 miles for the cycle to run & kick it back on again. So, deal with the light for now and just pull the relay, to clear the light, right before you drive it the 20-30 minutes prior to taking it to the SMOG shop (or mid drive).

I also have a 3FE 91 FJ80 and I live in California, so I deal with this every two years.

Last edited:
Any update on passing smog?

Any update on passing smog?

Sorry. YES, passed smog on the first try!

I know why the guy was so reluctant to just do it himself.... the o2 bungs were seized on. Thankfully, the 3fe exhaust setup is so freaking easy to remove, i had the down pipes out in under an hour, and just cut them off and got the studs out with vise grips. Then got new studs, new o2's and put it all back together.

Honestly, i'm surprised at how ridiculously smooth this thing runs. It's crazy! Idles perfectly at like 600 rpm and is so still that sometimes I think the motor shutoff. The only thing that gives it away is the lifters... it definitely needs a valve job, but I'm not gonna be the one to do it. The electronic harness is just too fragile, and I don't want to risk it. I took the whole interior apart and cleaned it so well, and the vodka trip was AMAZING for the smell!! The truck looks so freaking clean!! I wish I could paint it. It would look so clean, bone stock with just 33" tires.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to sell it = ( I've already gotten 2 tow notices on it because my neighbors are clearly not liking the FJ80 styling as much as we all do lol. I'm so lucky I caught the the first notice. I bet it would have been towed at any moment that day! And in San Diego, that's a $550 fine!

Whoa, what’s with your neighbors? I live in Point Loma, and have been known to work on the 80 (ok, ok..other cars too) in the street. Let us know what you want out of it, if you really have to sell. I have a friend looking.

Whoa, what’s with your neighbors? I live in Point Loma, and have been known to work on the 80 (ok, ok..other cars too) in the street. Let us know what you want out of it, if you really have to sell. I have a friend looking.

Right?! I live in University Heights, in a "craftsman home" neighborhood. Honestly I blame this insane invasion of spiders this year! I guess it's being caused by all the rain we had earlier in the year. Whatever it is, I get huge cobwebs all over the mirrors and wheels in just a matter of days. I have two other vehicles (my overland/desert 4Runner, and my daily Civic), so it definitely goes 5+ days without having a spare min to drive it. Now, I just set a reminder every few days and go out in the middle of the night (as in right now), and just pull off any cobwebs I see, and wash it at least every two weeks. It's just annoying.

It was just a bad impulse buy being in the thick of nursing school, with too many other vehicles. And yeah, I do have to sell it, so PM me if you want.... i don't wanna break any forum rules about selling from a thread. I literally just replaced all of the main (front) coolant lines with OEM hoses, Aisin water pump, OEM thermostat, all thermostat housing gaskets OEM, and flushed the whole coolant system. New Aisin o2's, and deep cleaned the crap out of it! I'll post up some photos soon.

To remove the tint get some 409 cleaner and a black garbage bag. Spray the tint with the 409 and cut the plastic garbage bag to roughly the size of the window and stick it on top of the 409. Leave it in the sun 15 mins then peel the tint off in one piece and hardly have any residue to scrape.

For the stink...
Vodka in a spray bottle
spray down all cloth surfaces
Roll up the windows and park it in the sun a couple days.

My wife ran a used car lot for years, this was the best method they found to remove smell

What a great pair of lifehacks

Right?! I live in University Heights, in a "craftsman home" neighborhood. Honestly I blame this insane invasion of spiders this year! I guess it's being caused by all the rain we had earlier in the year. Whatever it is, I get huge cobwebs all over the mirrors and wheels in just a matter of days. I have two other vehicles (my overland/desert 4Runner, and my daily Civic), so it definitely goes 5+ days without having a spare min to drive it. Now, I just set a reminder every few days and go out in the middle of the night (as in right now), and just pull off any cobwebs I see, and wash it at least every two weeks. It's just annoying.

It was just a bad impulse buy being in the thick of nursing school, with too many other vehicles. And yeah, I do have to sell it, so PM me if you want.... i don't wanna break any forum rules about selling from a thread. I literally just replaced all of the main (front) coolant lines with OEM hoses, Aisin water pump, OEM thermostat, all thermostat housing gaskets OEM, and flushed the whole coolant system. New Aisin o2's, and deep cleaned the crap out of it! I'll post up some photos soon.
Funny what you say about the spiders as I am having the same issue 300 mi. north of you driving me crazy with spider webs every ware including every car I park out side.

Last edited:
Funny what you say about the spiders as I am having the same issue 300 mi. north of you driving me crazy with spider webs every ware including every car I park out side.

Right! It's crazy! I knew it was abnormal, but I finally heard someone explaining it on the radio the other day. I guess it's only going to get worse. The truck would be fine on the street, but when their's cobwebs all over the car, of course people are gonna be pissed when it's in front of their house. And then they can just say it's abandoned, and it will get towed even faster. I mean, I guess i get it, I'd probably be annoyed too if it were my $1.5 million house ....I'm just living in a unit behind one of them lol

Car cover?

Unfortunately I'm going to have to sell it = ( I've already gotten 2 tow notices on it because my neighbors are clearly not liking the FJ80 styling as much as we all do lol. I'm so lucky I caught the the first notice. I bet it would have been towed at any moment that day! And in San Diego, that's a $550 fine!

So for those of us who don't live in places with competitive street parking, what exactly are you getting a tow notice for? Not moving it often enough? Then why do you have to sneakily clean up the spider webs?

**** California is about the only reply to that horse s***.

We have a bunch of those ****ers moving to Idaho and at my current jobsite it's always nice to tell the neighbor to pound sand when he complains about work vehicles parking on "his" property. It isn't his property, it's a city owned right-of-way that he was just dumb enough to put gravel down on and think he owns it.

I really have no idea why anyone lives in Cali.

So for those of us who don't live in places with competitive street parking, what exactly are you getting a tow notice for? Not moving it often enough? Then why do you have to sneakily clean up the spider webs?

San Diego city ordinance is that no vehicle can be parked on public streets for more than 72 hrs, and when you do move it, it has to be moved at least 1/10th of a mile.

Oh, and a new law passed a few years ago says that NO Vehicle may be parked on city streets from 3-6am that exceeds 27ft long AND is over 7ft tall. ....so basically it's illegal to park any RV overnight, on any street in San Diego.

....yeah, I've been here 18 years, and I can't wait to leave, but the soonest I can is probably 2 years from now.

You have bought one of the slowest and least efficient vehicles ever built. It will be slow. It will get terrible fuel economy. All of that is NORMAL. But the truck itself is excellent. THe 80 series platform will go anywhere, for many more decades without complaint. Just don't count on high speeds ever. Keep the motor unter 3000 rpm, stay in the right lane and it will treat you well. And, the 3FE really can't tow anything so don't try. But it will take you to Death Valley and many other super interesting places for years to come, so enjoy that aspect of it. It would make an Ok daily driver for awhile, but the usual advice applies. Always have a reliable cheap normal car to compliment your Land Cruiser.

f*** California is about the only reply to that horse s***.

We have a bunch of those f***ers moving to Idaho and at my current jobsite it's always nice to tell the neighbor to pound sand when he complains about work vehicles parking on "his" property. It isn't his property, it's a city owned right-of-way that he was just dumb enough to put gravel down on and think he owns it.

I really have no idea why anyone lives in Cali.
95% of the peeps in Calif are from somewhere else The F***ers move here form places Like Idaho to get out of the Snow,to take advantage of the best Jobs the best Beaches and the best climate in the country.
So just go climb back under the rock your been living under!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EAE0101F-07D3-4F7B-927C-779F8B27C671.jpeg
A983DB67-6E9B-49A8-B3A2-39E53DB1D1E2.jpeg

Well just have to agree to disagree, sir.

Obviously California was populated by other places but at this point in time, I stand by my statement. There is little to no one moving from Idaho to California. And if any do, they deserve this sort of bull****.

And for the record, I've been there quite a bit. It isn't the terrain or climate that suck, it's the people/their views that lead to bull**** like OP is talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom