I H8NIPPLES! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ewillis

SILVER Star
Threads
This is really pissing me off! Trying to get the front DS OME shock off and get my new Fox shocks installed, but I cannot get this nipple/stud/whatever it's called to hold while I loosen the nut. Caveat...I have never changed shocks on anything so this might be stupid simple. I've tried a small wrench, vice grips, and a trip to the auto parts store to see if there's something special.

There is a tool on Amazon, but appears to only work for a 15mm nut...mine is 19mm. So how the hell is everyone else loosening the nut without this damn stud spinning?

2016-06-05%2018.26.41_zps4nvzpwno.jpg

Ya, there is a trick to that particular one. It's been to long since I have changed mine out to recall exactly what I did, but remember getting the OEM (original stock) off was a bit off a pain.... Like several number 6 breaks in between going back out and yelling at it.

i had the tires off to do the springs at the same time, but i remember being contorted and held the shock with the left arm and ran the electric ratchet or impact with the right hand. could also find a friend. to get it started i would put a crescent wrench on the flat part at the top of the stud and then a 19mm open end on the nut.

I hold the dust shield with a monkey wrench or some big channel locks. If there's no dust shield I hold the shaft or the little nipple with vice grips.

If you undo the bottom mount first you can move the shock to a position where you can get an impact on it. That really helps.

I drill a half inch hole in the dust shield (upper part of the shock) stick a large screwdriver in it to keep it from tuning and spin the nut off. If that doesn't get it, there is always the blue tip wrench that gets them all.

I hold the dust shield with a monkey wrench or some big channel locks. If there's no dust shield I hold the shaft or the little nipple with vice grips.

If you undo the bottom mount first you can move the shock to a position where you can get an impact on it. That really helps.

Ok thanks...that makes sense. I'll work the bottom first. I was considering punching it with a screwdriver like a stuck oil filter, but figured there must be a better way.

2016-06-05%2019.00.35_zpsfn3khac4.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Eric,
I had the same problem trying to get my OEM shocks off the truck. Since I was getting rid of them anyway, we drilled a hole in the shock housing and put a screwdriver through it to hold so it didn't turn. The shock still works fine except for the hole in the housing.

Get yourself a piece of inner tube or similar rubber, wrap it around the shock body and wrap a ratchet strap around the rubber a few turns nice and tight. Make sure anchor the ratchet strap to your wheel or tire and tighten it up. Should hold it while you loosen the "Bayonet" studs on the shocks, or use a rubber strap oil filter wrench and remove the inner fender splash guards and poke the wrench through from the inside of the fender and strap it to the shock body and hold the strap wrench while using the other hand to loosen the nut.You will definitely be contorted, but it should also work.

Simple:
1. Punch hole in shaft cover and stick in screwdriver
2. If no cover, take two small strips of aluminum and put them on the jaws of vice grips and crank down on the shaft. The aluminum will NOT mar the shaft and the vice grips keeps it from rotating.

I keep the same aluminum strips in my kit that I've used dozens of times now.

About to do mine for the first time and I've been thinking about how I'm going to approach it.

The washer above the bushing is included with new shocks, right?
Maybe use the washer as a sacrificial surface to guide in an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel at the base of the nut.

Snap on does make a socket that you put on the stud then use Rachet wrench on the nut and turn it off

Might have a pic to help you out!

Trade pics for front locker?!!! Hahaha

I had this same problem when I originally replaced my OEM shocks. In the end I just cut it out with a cut off wheel. But screw driver sounds like a good idea too.

I used a rubber strap wrench from home depot, same principle as Cruisinmy93.

Might have a pic to help you out!

Trade pics for front locker?!!! Hahaha

You don't want my Harrop E-locker. What would you do with all the time you would have not reconnecting your air line, digging around for tools on the trail, fixing the compressor, etc? You're much better off with the air locker...;)

Impact gun usually does it, there's enough resistance that it just works

I thought this was going to be about Aloha Jen. I was gonna let you have it. :slap:

I thought this was going to be about Aloha Jen. I was gonna let you have it. :slap:

I think we're all experiencing withdrawal symptoms! :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom