I got scammed, car now smoky - 1HDT (HDJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I just had a bad experience and I hope someone can help me with this. I just took the car to a shop to adjust/repair the fuel pump for my HDJ80 (1HD-T) and had a very bad experience...

I´ll start since the beginning, 1 year ago the car was burning eyes, too much diesel was being burn so I took the injectors by myself to a recognized shop here in Costa Rica, and they did a very good job, the problem stopped.

Now, the car started to throw some black smoke when accelerating and I though that it was the fuel pump, so I took the car to a shop (different shop) and well, that was 4 days ago, and today when I picked up the car, the mechanic started to say that something was wrong with the valves or seals, something was happening on the head of the engine according to him.
I know that the valve seals are not very in good shape and it is smoking some thru the head cover, but not much.

Then he started talking that he was not able to repair the car due to the problem on the head of the engine... I ended up paying him like 80% of what he asked because I signed some **** agreement.

Now the car car sounds like sh!t when the engine is on and it smokes like hell! A a grey cloud coming out from the exhaust pipe.

Any idea what have gone wrong? Might be the timing?
Now I am planning to take the car to the first SHOP, it is very expensive, but yes I learned my lesson.

Could be something simple as timing? Or you guys thing that might cost me some $$$$?

When you say grey smoke, is it a white-ish grey? Does it smell like unburnt diesel?

Maybe the timing, if timing is way off it could be the cause.
Or maybe they've done something that is letting air get sucked into the fuel system. You could check the rubber fuel hose going from fuel filter to the fuel pump is clamped on firmly and not loose at all

I'd go back to the shop that worked on the pump and have them clarify exactly what they did so you aren't starting from scratch here.

does your oil fill up cap dance when just placed on top and the engine is rev'd up.
thats a sign its fxxxed.

I'm wondering if the 2nd shop has altered the timing or something to make it appear it has a more serious problem.

It needs someone to check the timing and timing/cam belt and for air leaks. If that's not it, I would be doing a compression test.
I would be suspicious if it got noticeably worse after it visited the 2nd shop, most problems with diesels come on slowly.

sound it's definitely and indication of the injection timing I've seen as worst as sounding like coffee machine ( steam train ) .. so I wonder, the 2nd shop took the pump out ?

Engine has 650k, the oil cap dances and it needs a rebuild but it can hold another year without an issue.
It's Un-burned fuel definitely. Air being sucked is not the problem.
I don't want to go back to that shop for sure, I am going thru a legal procedure to get at least my money back.

Today two well known mechanics came to see the car, apparently is a timing issue, but they are afraid that fixing the timing won't fix the smoke but the noise and vibration will go away.

They told me that the injectors were touched/damaged, and that is cause of the smoke.

What a story... Also, the fuel pump has a water pump/water cooling system which was removed. I will post some pics later of the "fixed fuel pump".

What a story... Also, the fuel pump has a water pump/water cooling system which was removed. I will post some pics later of the "fixed fuel pump".

This might be the ACSD (Assisted Cold Start Device), and removal is actually recommended as they degrade and can destroy the injection pump if they fail. This device does affect timing when the engine is cold. I don't get the impression you live somewhere cold, so maybe this isn't the case on your truck.

Sounds like pump timing is out, among other issues. Needs to be adjusted anyways when you remove the ACSD ("water pump/water cooling system"). It's actually a high-idle device which raises RPM until the coolant heat's up to temp. No cooling....

Correct the ACSD was removed, seem that is not neccesary since I live in Costa Rica.
I just left the car on the workshop of one of my mechanics, I will update as soon as the issue is fixed.

I'm wondering if the 2nd shop has altered the timing or something to make it appear it has a more serious problem.

It needs someone to check the timing and timing/cam belt and for air leaks. If that's not it, I would be doing a compression test.
I would be suspicious if it got noticeably worse after it visited the 2nd shop, most problems with diesels come on slowly.

Definitely this.......

I love easy fixes. 650 kms and counting. YEEE haaa!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom