I cracked my rear L spring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I cracked my rear L spring today now I am looking for a viable cheap solution
any ideas? the future of my cruiser includes maybe a SOA and definitely a new frame but this won't happen until next year so
I need ot find a cheap solution I was wondering if I an get some opinions on
pro comp springs and other cheaper brands
anyway to use 3rd party springs chevy , ford etc... without changing the shackle position?

I have a set of rear springs from my BJ42. $50+ the ride. Let me know....

B

sounds funny but i did it, mine cracked under the ubolt plate didn't seem to affect the ride much but broken piece would start to work its way out .i removed the leaf and just welded it back together for a temporary quick fix .it has been that way for almost 5 years now , .:doh:

Diescipel said:
I have a set of rear springs from my BJ42. $50+ the ride. Let me know....

B

I thank you for the offer but the BJ42 would be very stiff compared to the fj40
which is already as stiff as they can be :) but I'll keep that in mind

poldo said:
I thank you for the offer but the BJ42 would be very stiff compared to the fj40

Why do you say this?

Unless you have a 08/80 and later 40, these would not work as they would be wider than your stock springs....

pbgbottle said:
sounds funny but i did it, mine cracked under the ubolt plate didn't seem to affect the ride much but broken piece would start to work its way out .i removed the leaf and just welded it back together for a temporary quick fix .it has been that way for almost 5 years now , .:doh:

mine broke right at the perch so it popped right out It probablty happened yesterday as I heard a funny noise like a rock bouncing off the undercarriage but I didn't realized it was broken until today when I noticed the shackle was flat against the frame and leaning a bit :doh:
I thought about welding it , I am considering it as a quick fix..
If you welded a spring and lasted 5 years you're a darn good weldor

unfortunately I am leaving for vacation in about a week so I am looking locally if I can find a cheap replacement to at least being able to drive around
would be nice if I can find something cheap at my local scrap yard
I can use a little shorter leaf because I moved the hangers forward a couple of inches to have a steeper angle so a shorter leaf would be ok I should check a bronco or blazer spring maybe they'll fit

Last edited:
Poser said:
Why do you say this?

Unless you have a 08/80 and later 40, these would not work as they would be wider than your stock springs....

because the BJ is much heavier then an FJ40 so the springs must be stiffer to support the extra weight .. but I could be wrong

ahh and they're wider :) I have a 78

poldo said:
mine broke right at the perch so it popped right out It probablty happened yesterday as I heard a funny noise like a rock bouncing off the undercarriage but I didn't realized it was broken until today when I noticed the schackle was flat against the frame and leaning a bit :doh:
I thought about welding it , I am considering it as a quick fix..
If you welded a spring and lasted 5 years you're a darn good weldor

unfortunately I am leaving for vacation in about a week so I am looking locally if I can find a cheap replacement to at least being able to drive around
would be nice if I can find something cheap at my local scrap yard
I can use a little shorter leaf because I moved the hangers forward a couple of inches to have a steeper angle so a shorter leaf would be ok I should check a bronco or blazer spring maybe they'll fit

Cheap, fast or good. Pick TWO!;p

Try hitting up Stumbaugh or schmukster on the board. They're east coast folks with extra parts. I think there's even a guy in NY. IIRC, Jim Dalpe. Not sure how to get ahold of him tho.:frown:

GL

Mark A.

A BJ42 is not any heavier than an FJ40.

In any event, just pick up a used spring and toss it in there. It's not a rare, expensive, or hard to find part.

Mark...

if you're goin on vacation in SC, come on down...i've got a couple extra sets of 40 springs...

so are you lookin for a lift spring? i can't really tell from your posts.

also, weren't broncos coiled/linked in the front? (maybe just the later ones...i don't know)
their rear springs aren't too friendly for a swap either as they are longer, IIRC and wouldn't help your situation with the moved mounts

malphrus

Mark W said:
A BJ42 is not any heavier than an FJ40.

In any event, just pick up a used spring and toss it in there. It's not a rare, expensive, or hard to find part.

Mark...

Mark there are 800lb difference between FJ40 and 45 the BJ is probably heavier because of the Diesel engine
I am leaning toward the welding right now I don't have time to replace the springs .. when I get back I will look for a set

65swb45 said:
Cheap, fast or good. Pick TWO!;p

Try hitting up Stumbaugh or schmukster on the board. They're east coast folks with extra parts. I think there's even a guy in NY. IIRC, Jim Dalpe. Not sure how to get ahold of him tho.:frown:

GL

Mark A.

That's a good tip.. thanks will do I sould have checked the NY forum first

I had a broken top leaf spring in the rear on my '86 HJ60, and had it welded by a professional welder, who used a piece of truck spring to make a patch. It only hold for a couple of months and broke again right at the new weld. Most probably because of the change in metal structure due to the heat exposure of the welding process (less flexibility, more hardness).

I have found recently replacement springs from another HJ60, but for a couple of months, my Cruiser has been running on a set of rear springs from a '56 Nekaf (which is a Dutch military copy of a Willies flatfender), as these were the only ones I had available for free.

Dieter

poldo said:
Mark there are 800lb difference between FJ40 and 45 the BJ is probably heavier because of the Diesel engine
I am leaning toward the welding right now I don't have time to replace the springs .. when I get back I will look for a set

This is pure nonsense but it doesn't matter as it doesn't sound like you'd want to pay the shiping from California anyway.

honk said:
This is pure nonsense but it doesn't matter as it doesn't sound like you'd want to pay the shiping from California anyway.

Why ??
I am looking at the specs and it says the FJ45 not BJ is 4070 lbs vs 3273 for the FJ40 the 3B engine is much heavier than a 2F so I assume the BJ is even heavier, I don't think Toyota would use the same spring rate for all of them
I can't get a set of springs from CA I am leaving next week it would take about 5-7 days to get here via UPS if not more

72cruiser said:
if you're goin on vacation in SC, come on down...i've got a couple extra sets of 40 springs...

so are you lookin for a lift spring? i can't really tell from your posts.

also, weren't broncos coiled/linked in the front? (maybe just the later ones...i don't know)
their rear springs aren't too friendly for a swap either as they are longer, IIRC and wouldn't help your situation with the moved mounts

malphrus

No Panama and Costarica:) , lifted? no unless I can find a set of 4 or buy 2 new procomp 2.5" lift... that should actually be good it will level it

poldo said:
Why ??
I am looking at the specs and it says the FJ45 not BJ is 4070 lbs vs 3273 for the FJ40 the 3B engine is much heavier than a 2F so I assume the BJ is even heavier, I don't think Toyota would use the same spring rate for all of them
I can't get a set of springs from CA I am leaving next week it would take about 5-7 days to get here via UPS if not more

Sheeesh! This isn't worth the discussion except for your obtuse reading of the first offer you received. The man said that he had springs from an BJ42 NOT a BJ45. A 42 is not the pickup truck that the BJ or FJ 45 is, yet yoou keep talking about an FJ45 or BJ45.

plus the b-series diesel does not weigh as much as the f-series gassers...

honk said:
Sheeesh! This isn't worth the discussion except for your obtuse reading of the first offer you received. The man said that he had springs from an BJ42 NOT a BJ45. A 42 is not the pickup truck that the BJ or FJ 45 is, yet yoou keep talking about an FJ45 or BJ45.

I guess you can't read very well..re read my post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom