I can't help myself! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

reddingcruiser

Practicing for retirement
Threads
It's like eating potato chips, seems I just can't stop.

This build is a little different inasmuch as the starting point is a little rougher than usual. While the 40 is solid (mostly), there's plenty of PO mischief to fix along the way.

When the owner picked up this '69 FJ40 it had a 'running' SBC 283, old school Muncie 4 speed with an AA adapter and Toyota t-case. The clutch didn't work and there wasn't even a brake m/c. It came with the hard top (disassembled) and doors, the rest of the front bench seat, trans cover, 3 totes full of parts and just enough wiring hooked up to get the engine to fire. Overall though it's very sound and is an excellent resto-mod candidate. I actually tried to buy this one off CL and I later I learned from the new owner that the seller was a CL novice and didn't include a phone number, and didn't respond to emails in the order they were received. Oh well, it's still ended up sitting in my shop.

The end goal for this one is a 'sleeper'. Outwardly, the owner wants an overall stock look, with the reliability and drivability of an LS and automatic. Here's a list of what we plan add and correct along the way:
  • LS 5.3 and 4L60e
  • New chassis and engine electrical
  • Power steering (and fix the PO's shareworthy steering mess)
  • Reupholster the stock bench seats and add OEM rear seats
  • New OME springs, retaining the stock SUA setup
  • Front and rear disk brakes
  • New fuel system
  • OEM Toyota wheels and hub caps, with 33's
  • Get all of the other stock systems working (wipers, horn, heater, etc.)
  • Fit hardtop and doors
  • Stock front bumper
  • Fix minor rust issues
  • Paint - TBD

Here's the exterior:

Chris G 9.jpg

Chris Gonczeruk LS 4.jpg

Chris G 7.jpg
Chris G 11.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some a few more pics:

LS 5.3, transmission and mock-up t-case.

Chris G 26.jpg

A "what is it for" tray and horrific Armstrong steering mod (but wait, there's more in the next post!)

Chris Gonczeruk LS 2.jpg

More PO creativeness.

Chris Gonczeruk LS 1.jpg

A little bit of cleanup underway.

Chris G 27.jpg

How hard is it to fit the 4L60e in a 40? My left knee is shot and working a clutch isn’t that fun anymore.
I already have a SBC.

This one probably belongs in Marks' ( @65swb45 ) Wall of Shame!

I feel safer already, knowing this PO POS is off the road o_O. I knew this was going to be interesting.

Chris Gonczeruk LS 2.jpg

Here's what was hiding behind the gear box.

Chris G 28.jpg

It's going to end up with p/s anyway so I am inclined to rebuild the crossmember. I have a FJ40 frame I use to mock up projects that I could rob the crossmember from, but I hate to ruin an otherwise nice frame. I'll have to ponder this for a bit.

I forgot to take a picture of the TRE that was welded to the drag link before I chopped it off.

How hard is it to fit the 4L60e in a 40? My left knee is shot and working a clutch isn’t that fun anymore.
I already have a SBC.

"Hard" is relative. If you already have the SBC, and have the tools and equipment, it's fairly straight forward to put an A/T transmission in your FJ40. Advance Adapters makes it pretty easy. There's some minor fab involved for misc. items like an A/T oil cooler, but most of the fabrication revolves around the rear crossmember. If you use the FJ60 'flat bottom' trans mount that the AA adapter is drill for it's pretty easy. I actually used an OEM FJ62 crossmember on my son's 40 with excellent results.

You say SBC, so I'll assume you are not talking about an LS, which means a 4L60 would work. Dimensionally they are the same and use the same AA adapter.

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn’t tackle this myself, just curious as to how much work a shop would have to do and the how big the bill would be!

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn’t tackle this myself, just curious as to how much work a shop would have to do and the how big the bill would be!
PM sent

Made some progress yesterday afternoon getting rid of the old motor mounts, old brake lines and brackets, and funky steering column mount. Almost a clean slate, just a few things left to fix on the firewall and the front cross member before we start putting it back together.

Chris G 29.jpg

The lower end of the column was welded to the firewall (yeah, completely serviceable). It's amazing how much silicone some folks are willing to use to plug up a hole.

Steering Column FW Mount.jpg

Here's a picture of the old TRE connection at the gear box that I mentioned in an earlier post. Sure, it's totally adjustable and safe ;)!

Chris G Welded TRE.jpg

It's like eating potato chips, seems I just can't stop.

This build is a little different inasmuch as the starting point is a little rougher than usual. While the 40 is solid (mostly), there's plenty of PO mischief to fix along the way.

When the owner picked up this '69 FJ40 it had a 'running' SBC 283, old school Muncie 4 speed with an AA adapter and Toyota t-case. The clutch didn't work and there wasn't even a brake m/c. It came with the hard top (disassembled) and doors, the rest of the front bench seat, trans cover, 3 totes full of parts and just enough wiring hooked up to get the engine to fire. Overall though it's very sound and is an excellent resto-mod candidate. I actually tried to buy this one off CL and I later I learned from the new owner that the seller was a CL novice and didn't include a phone number, and didn't respond to emails in the order they were received. Oh well, it's still ended up sitting in my shop.

The end goal for this one is a 'sleeper'. Outwardly, the owner wants an overall stop look, with the reliability and drivability of an LS and automatic. Here's a list of what we plan add and correct along the way:
  • LS 5.3 and 4L60e
  • New chassis and engine electrical
  • Power steering (and fix the PO's shareworthy steering mess)
  • Reupholster the stock bench seats and add OEM rear seats
  • New OME springs, retaining the stock SUA setup
  • Front and rear disk brakes
  • New fuel system
  • OEM Toyota wheels and hub caps, with 33's
  • Get all of the other stock systems working (wipers, horn, heater, etc.)
  • Fit hardtop and doors
  • Stock front bumper
  • Fix minor rust issues
  • Paint - TBD

Here's the exterior:

View attachment 2429967
View attachment 2429968
View attachment 2429969View attachment 2429970
Actually I was the first e-mail. He just didn't respond to anyone after I bought it. Looking good. Cant wait to get behind the wheel!

^^ I like my story better ;)

Here's a little before and after for the front crossmember.

Turns out there was enough of the original frame member to tie in the new steel without having to dig into the riveted portion. Welds are full penetration with backing. It still needs a hole and P/S bracket. I'm using 4x4 Labs P/S plate and frame plates, which will help put some additional strength in the frame.

Chris Gonczeruk LS 2.jpg

Front Cross Member 3.jpg

It appears I’m late to the party but for future reference @pardion has a supply of stock front cross members.

It appears I’m late to the party but for future reference @pardion has a supply of stock front cross members.
Yep, but since this 40 will be getting a P/S upgrade it was easier to fix it and add back the additional support from Luke and the boys at 4x4 Labs.

Last edited:
When you get to it can you get us some pictures of a few things? I’d like to see how you do your motor mounts, your trans or tcase crossmembe, and tcase linkage? Thx brother.

When you get to it can you get us some pictures of a few things? I’d like to see how you do your motor mounts, your trans or tcase crossmembe, and tcase linkage? Thx brother.

Yes I can.

Redding, can you relate your love of potato chips to this conversion thread ???

Redding, can you relate your love of potato chips to this conversion thread ???

Jim,
Reference is to the LS conversions I have been doing lately. Growing up as a baby boomer I was very much an old school SBC guy, but after putting an LS in my personal rig I was hooked. I already have another swap in the wings.

And I like potato chips :p

My kids have recently got me hooked on the Kettle Jalepeno chips. I dare you to have just one.

Dick, two separate subjects, that's like saying "I'm doing a V8 swap", then saying "I sing in a barbershop quartet". Cripes, Dick, maybe your getting as old as I am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom