I bought a 1966 (6/65) FJ40L 'parts car' to restore (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Micro cracks carb float are fixed. I suspect that I had gas inside the float when soldering causing the brass to bulge and tear in many areas. I dried the float in the sun for a couple of hours allowing fumes to vent out of top hole of float. I was able to identify the small cracks because as I wiped the float in the sun vapor would condense near the cracks. I smeared solder on the 5 locations of the mini cracks. Then re soldiered top hole. Seems to be holding, it is not pretty, and hope the extra solder is not affecting float performance.

Carb is still flooding, needle is not shutting off? I used the Keystone 011-4020A kit to rebuild, but I may go back to original parts that I took out to see I they can be cleaned up. Mine is a June '65 carb. The Keystone kit is Aug '66, so not sure of the differences. Could the fuel pump build too much pressure?

Bowl is draining out overnight/few days. My crankcase if full of gas. The oil in the crankcase is so watery for all the gasoline, that I hear a water noise flowing down over the valves after shut down. I am clueless as to why the bowl drains out. I know the Step-Up Rod in the Keystone kit was not a true step, but more of a step and then a flare back to the overall diameter. I many look at the Toyota Kit 04211-60086 to see if hat has the truly stepped rod. What are possible causes for the drain?

Funny thing is that the fuel flow (flooding) does stop, because the bowl drains. So the needle valve does work.

Anyone out there still offering carb. rebuild services? It does run, I am able to get a low idle...but half choked. Gotta fix the flood and drain.

INNOV8S I'd highly recommend going with one of the carb rebuild experts on here, they know what to do to make these old carbs work...Jim @ TLC Performance (FJ40Jim) or Mark @ Mark's Offroad (65swb45). Jim rebuilt mine last year. It did take awhile, 6+ months, but it was worth the wait. When I got my '64 I was able to get my hands on the correct Toyota kit and took the time to clean and rebuild it myself. I struggled with the same exact issues you are having.

Big Window Carb Trouble

Yes, definitely need carb re built. Thanks Drock! I've been absent here as I have take a new job in western TN. I worked on her, on and off for 18 months. Last Oct. I needed to put into storage as I was not going to bring it down here, as we not settled in on this end. At first I was going to borrow a friends car hauler, but my buddy said let's just tow with a come along. I needed to I get it out of the garage, so I started it, and it ran with a high idle. I put it in gear and let off the clutch, I was moving!! The first time in 23 months of ownership! So, I yelled to my friend follow me to storage, if it doesn't make it, we'll tow then. It was quit a ride, the accelerator pedal did not work well, and I was using the throttle knob on the dash as my accelerator to adjust my speed. What a riot. Drums where mushy. It was thru back roads 8 miles to storage. Afraid I would stall at stop sign, I ended up only slowing down for them, not making complete stops, as the interestion was free of cars. I did stall a few times at stop signs but she always fired back up, and off I went. I was going slow 35-40 mph, and laid of the throttle well in advance of intersections. There it sits in pole barn. If and when I bring it down will depend on if their will be room depending on the home we buy. I should have a better sense as spring nears. I'll post here if decide to sell.

I had the original carb for my ‘64 rebuilt a few weeks ago by Mark ( @65swb45 ). Wasn’t cheap, my carb needed more than just parts as the float bowl and throat around the choke plate were warped. Turnaround time was just over 2 weeks. Results were great. Before the rebuild, the choke plate was stiff and wouldn’t close properly, and the carb was dumping raw fuel into the manifold. After rebuild, I bolted it on, connected fuel line, throttle and choke, and it started and ran nicely first try. As I said, not cheap, but well worth it.

Just read through. It’s pretty obvious you have thoroughly enjoyed rehabing this rig. Excellent documentation of this project. I especially liked the “estate sale” brake cylinder tool. Hope you find a new house with a “cruiser garage”

So, I surprised my wife last month by picking up this FJ40 to fix up.

This is my favorite line of the thread:beer:

Yes, I'll have to sent carb over to Mark, he has a lot of my money already :),it's all good! I've enjoyed seeing you project!

Actually, I did not check the oil, I just knew the gas had to go somewhere. BTW what does oil in gas look like? What color?

This has been a lot of fun, I know very little about auto mechanics, and have had fun. The forum has been great, and most of the time I was not able to find my answer, so I resorted to just start wrenching and breaking into something and figuring it out, which has been rewarding. Wife being happy has a lot to do with the home we buy, so hopefully it will include cruiser spaces. ...80 is back in MI too.

Snow plow gear came off.

22B99E2E-2DB9-434F-99BE-1C37D0C277A2.jpeg

869E5E19-8207-403D-993E-52C84D2BF79F.jpeg

Whatcha gonna do with the snow gear?

Daner, yes it was. I removed one bolt old school with PB blaster and muscle. Then I got out the Sawzall, which was much faster!

Well after a 3 year pause on this project, I am back at it! My goal it just to get it running. The carb seemed to be the source of my many frustrations, and at the urging of several of you I had @65swb45 rebuild it. I got it back recently and was able to install it. It fired up pretty quick after sitting for so long. Thanks Mark you have the magic touc

IMG_0496.jpg

out of the box from Mark. Cleaned up nice, I know he put some extra work in on it.

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

I'm a little embarrassed on the filter, anybody have a lead on an intake?

IMG_0545.jpg

Notice the fuel above the insulating gasket, I think I started to flood things, and must have been leaking out.

Last edited:
Thanks Citrus. Great help. I’ll get this back on. This must be for the upper gears, as I don’t recall when I drove it 3 years ago for the first time into storage, if I got into 2nd or 3rd. I was too busy hand throttling the whole drive. Many California rolls, as I didn’t want to stall at the stops. It a fun drive as brakes where barely working.

My bad, I thought the link was from the pass. side. This is from drivers side. Mine is there, so this is a spare.
4E51D459-B65A-4597-BFCE-501F6B1254F7.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom