I am making LC Scale Kits & Accessories for mud! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So i just realized i made this post in the wrong thread, and
'71 FJ40 Meet Jiffy - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/71-fj40-meet-jiffy.1284810/#post-14478146
was unintentionally hijacked for 2 posts. My sincere apologies, was honest mistake. I have it bookmarked at the moment as i was researching 40s.

I was actually looking for @mrboatman 's 40 thread for inspiration and could not find it, mind sharing a link?

For people who like to DIY, @CruiserTrash RTR or Kit with Electronics on the side is up to you; you have time to decide as I get this first kit going/learn how to make it. Using your own electronics for people who have better ones than mine, is also likely the best option. For those who don't, I will work on a budget option first with what I can easily get.

3 Variants:

Keep in mind there are no wrong options, as you start with a base and any version can be "Side-graded" to the other easily; there are manuals for conversions as well. That's one of the great parts about 3DSets, is that with every future release, you will also receive an option to just pay for/remake "upgrade parts", in order to update any old model to the new version. @CruiserTrash There is a chance that we can scale this one down and slap the body on the 1:16 Land Rover, I will look into it.

Unfortunately, I have not found a MWB and LWB files yet for this one. However, I do have the LWB files for the Land Rover; I am sure we can adapt with time.

Screenshot 2022-06-15 024029.png

So i just realized i made this post in the wrong thread, and
'71 FJ40 Meet Jiffy - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/71-fj40-meet-jiffy.1284810/#post-14478146
was unintentionally hijacked for 2 posts. My sincere apologies, was honest mistake. I have it bookmarked at the moment as i was researching 40s.

I was actually looking for @mrboatman 's 40 thread for inspiration and could not find it, mind sharing a link?

For people who like to DIY, @CruiserTrash RTR or Kit with Electronics on the side is up to you; you have time to decide as I get this first kit going/learn how to make it. Using your own electronics for people who have better ones than mine, is also likely the best option. For those who don't, I will work on a budget option first with what I can easily get.

3 Variants:

Keep in mind there are no wrong options, as you start with a base and any version can be "Side-graded" to the other easily; there are manuals for conversions as well. That's one of the great parts about 3DSets, is that with every future release, you will also receive an option to just pay for/remake "upgrade parts", in order to update any old model to the new version. @CruiserTrash There is a chance that we can scale this one down and slap the body on the 1:16 Land Rover, I will look into it.

Unfortunately, I have not found a MWB and LWB files yet for this one. However, I do have the LWB files for the Land Rover; I am sure we can adapt with time.

View attachment 3034566
@SharpeCat here ya go Time to get it painted I`m sure there is a couple more out there also on power steering, 4 speed and 2F install.

Thank you @mrboatman , she’s a beauty and it’s amazing how much work has been done to preserve her. Props and respect to you sir.

The Carbon Fiber parts (gears driveshafts etc) are coming out pretty clean!

I even noticed the steering wheel pole is on the left!

First kit Is 2 colors (orange and green), with carbon fiber PLA (black) for the drivetrain and powertrain components.

Also want to say that I have been very impressed with the level of details included in this kit; they are definitely not falsely advertising the “We Bring Details” claim. Let’s just say lots of updates coming for this first kit, and really glad they have a nice manual!

0001BDF3-041F-49E4-AAAC-C075410CF9D4.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
@CruiserTrash 1 green kit with white glowing roof and some extra parts/first package going out soon.

Also, took a few days/a week of trying but finally getting the 1:8th scale prints down after several failed attempts. Here is a couple photos of 1:8th scale for now: see if you can identify the parts!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

@CruiserTrash shes coming out much faster now! I am making a green and orange, and a orange and green. I will ship one of each scale off with no electronics as it will take me a little longer to gather electronics.

I am making two kits, one for me to test fitment, and one fresh one that is not put together. I can already tell you guys will love putting this kit together, so I will not rob you of that experience unless you specifically ask for “Ready To Race/Rock Climb” model, but that’s a little ways down the road.

Love the battery cover, by the way (last photo)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Have enough extra parts for a few more 1:16ths LAND ROVERS from my practice run/learning how to make. Not the best quality (not the worst either); dm me address if you want it! @The Jade Bean @mrboatman ? With a little painting they could make a good desk display. Let me know and I’ll ship it off along with Cruisers!

I’m going to be focused on the 1:8ths for a little, as those are actual LAND CRUISERS.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Version I’m making now, versus next, versus new one that came out that I will get after first two are done.

I sent them email asking:

1. For different wheelbase lengths/longer shafts.
2. For different axle lengths/wider wheelbase.
3. Asked if portal axles possible.
4. For different scales/advice on scaling myself if not offered by them directly.
5. If they can make 1:16th scales RC Capable.
6. For anything else I am missing so I can say I have the complete catalog/should just be the model 12.

Questions for later:
1. Interchangeable parts across different models.
2. Other Land Cruiser series (50s next and progress through the years afterwards).

D56795E9-BED5-4304-BD91-8EAC6C554479.png

18CF4F2F-A32E-428C-BC6D-DC4EBECF4D4E.png

5259DB6D-55B5-40CD-8A38-4484EE72528C.png

I’m going to need both desks and the kitchen counter for this one; almost got all the parts for first kit done.

image.jpg

Time to clean up! This build deserves a freshly cleaned granite countertop, and the fresh parts deserve a clean tabletop while they wait for assembly.

image.jpg

image.jpg

@CruiserTrash and anyone else interested in 1:8 scale FJ40, this is the fasteners kit you will need.

US $5.82 3% Off | Screws and Nuts Model 9 Bamboo Required Hardware 3DSets RC Car

I am still researching electronics, but I’m thinking something similar to this but also include tires:

They have a kit for the Land Rover 1:16th scale too so maybe it is RC ready.

Donor vehicle to get me started on testing. I realize this isn’t hobby grade electronics in these cheap things, but for $59 it’s worth it just for the tires, shocks lights and basic wiring/electronics for testing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
It keeps getting better, not only can we choose belt or non-belt driven, we can also choose open or locked diffs!

For the Mud University channel later, I plan on building 4 variants of the FJ40s, in terms of differentials:

Open front open back
Open front locked back(standard config)
Locked front open back
Locked front locked back

I am also looking into an AWD variant, with each wheel having its own motor, obviously for RC purposes:

The others are for educational purposes/for helping people decide if lockers are right for their full-sized cruisers.

I started assembly as well as began testing multi color prints, lots of work to do for multi color but there is hope. I lost the Land Cruiser decal by the way, this is a common problem when working with tiny parts.

Also began working on mods and accessories. Made sleeping bags, tents, roof rack, hi jacks, maxtrax and etc.

Also working on the big boy mod (last photos).

I’ll work on assembly on my twitch today and post updates at end of day! Test fitment going good so far and it’s VERY SATISFYING snapping and screwing things together. I will go fast so I can get you guys a kit to build along sooner than later.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

@The Jade Bean And whoops, I have a habit of referring to everyone as a cat (my middle name). You’re a cat, I’m a cat, he’s a cat, she’s a cat; Like another way to say dude.

So I refer to you guys as “Jade Cat”, “Boat Cat” and “Cruiser” Cat.

With that said, you guys can customize your own license plates and decals after I clean it up.

Last edited:
Strong work. 💪🏼💪🏼

Dam assume work very nice 🥃 👍
Thanks boss. Cheers.

Small update, don’t judge me on the colors on first one; let’s just say it’s the John Deere version. Color coordinating the parts takes time/practice.

My approach so far is just start throwing parts into the system, and eventually I’ll have enough parts for all color configurations to choose from.

For now, it’s whatever practice parts is good enough quality for first kit/fitment testing.

Again, the level of details on this kit continues to impress me. Everything is also very well secured; every little hinge and even mirror brackets gets a screw. You won’t have to worry about any parts coming lose.

I have carbon fiber parts coming to match the rest of the undercarriage; like wheel wells.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Dam assume work very nice 🥃 👍
I realize I am trying to learn how to make Land Cruiser RC replicas for not just any Land Cruiser community, but THE Land Cruiser community. Some of the folks on mud have been working on Cruisers since before I was born, not counting the fact that it runs multiple-generations deep in some families.

If I could even come close to doing it justice, I’d be a proud man.

If we get this right, I will definitely consider 1:5th scale. Wouldn’t it be awesome to fit in one of these one day? Just keep scaling it up!

I didn’t have a good way to remove brim, so I got rid of it for most of the parts and now only using it when I really need help sticking something; like a driveshaft which is tall and narrow. Bottom layer quality along edges has improved significantly.

The carbon fiber version/round 2 is definitely going to be a step up from first one.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Damn @SharpeCat this stuff is looking really good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom