I am a smooth brain in need of help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Y'all i need help deciding which shocks to get. I know what coils i want. Im gonna get the progressive dobinsons. From what I have experienced they are far superior to OME or Ironman.

I hate shopping for suspension because there are so many options and it gets overwhelming at times. I wanted to look into kings or tough dog. I know I want the coils from dobinsons but there standard shocks seem to be nothing special. The same goes for OME. So my question is where is the best place to buy and am i making a mistake investing into kings?

Hey Y'all i need help deciding which shocks to get. I know what coils i want. Im gonna get the progressive dobinsons. From what I have experienced they are far superior to OME or Ironman.

I hate shopping for suspension because there are so many options and it gets overwhelming at times. I wanted to look into kings or tough dog. I know I want the coils from dobinsons but there standard shocks seem to be nothing special. The same goes for OME. So my question is where is the best place to buy and am i making a mistake investing into kings?

By the kings because it sounds like you have money to waste.

I was in the same position a couple months ago when I got my 2.5” tapereds and I just decided to get the yellow dobinsons shocks. They’re good for the price but it’s a twin tube🤷🏽‍♀️. They work as advertised. If I were to do it again, I’d hit up wheeleveryweekend and get 7100s. Bilstein has a couple off the shelve valving options and he can give advice on which one would suit an 80. Or you can just have him revalve them so they’re perfect.

Move up from the yellow dobinson and get the dobinson IMS shocks that fit your dobinson lift.

Get in touch with filthymotorsports and order kings. Be done with it. Just don't decide later that you want to change your lift.

I have dobinson flexi 2.5 coils up front and ome 2.5 mediums in the back with air bags. Bigger sway bar in the back and no sway bar in the front when wheeling. Ome Bp 51 shocks. I like the shocks but they are a pain in the ass to adjust and the rear shocks mount a little funny with their stupid rock shield. It would be nice to have shocks with an easy adjustment knob. Opening the shocks up is good for wash board roads but bad for rock crawling because of the rocking back and forth. I have my shocks set up I little stiff for crawling with a load of camping gear so they are a little rough on washboards. The reason I went with bp51s was the warranty and I know Kurt with cruiser outfitters will stand behind them.

Last edited:

I'm running the standard Dobinson's shocks (with dobinson's coils) and they are working well. I wouldn't rule out that option.

I was in the same position a couple months ago when I got my 2.5” tapereds and I just decided to get the yellow dobinsons shocks. They’re good for the price but it’s a twin tube🤷🏽‍♀️. They work as advertised. If I were to do it again, I’d hit up wheeleveryweekend and get 7100s. Bilstein has a couple off the shelve valving options and he can give advice on which one would suit an 80. Or you can just have him revalve them so they’re perfect.
May i ask why didnt you go with wheeleveryweekend in the beginning. Were you just testing the waters?

I have dobinson flexi 2.5 coils up front and ome 2.5 mediums in the back with air bags. Bigger sway bar in the back and no sway bar in the front when wheeling. Ome Bp 51 shocks. I like the shocks but they are a pain in the ass to adjust and the rear shocks mount a little funny with their stupid rock shield. It would be nice to have shocks with an easy adjustment knob. Opening the shocks up is good for wash board roads but bad for rock crawling because of the rocking back and forth. I have my shocks set up I little stiff for crawling with a load of camping gear so they are a little rough on washboards. The reason I went with bp51s was the warranty and I know Kurt with cruiser outfitters will stand behind them.
thank you for your input. I was trying to find out why people were putting the VT's up front because they seem like they would be too stiff. I have a friend on instagram by the handle @go.eighty (shameless plug) and i love his set up. But for the life of me I cant understand why someone would put heavies in the front. The standard arb bumper is 150lbs and a winch is like 75lbs so what the point of making over a 220 coil. Are the diesels that much heavier?

whats the dealio with those IMS shocks?
ive looked into them but it seems they are on the verge of "premium" unto where it looks like they become obsolete in terms of price; like i feel at that point might aswell shell out the extra cash and get premium premium

I'm only here because of the thread title.

Ben @ Filthy Motorsports is great to work with. The King 2.0 Coilovers he valved for my 40 crawler work amazingly well. If you are serious about premium-premium, you can't do any better than Ben.

May i ask why didnt you go with wheeleveryweekend in the beginning. Were you just testing the waters?
I was dumb and cheaped out. At the time there was a bunch of other stuff that seemed like a better place to put money towards. I like the dobinson yellows more than the OME shocks the 80 had on before, but there’s only so much a twin tube can handle🤷🏽‍♀️. After one trip to sand hollow I’m kinda ready for a more capable shock.

I was dumb and cheaped out. At the time there was a bunch of other stuff that seemed like a better place to put money towards. I like the dobinson yellows more than the OME shocks the 80 had on before, but there’s only so much a twin tube can handle🤷🏽‍♀️. After one trip to sand hollow I’m kinda ready for a more capable shock.
are you gonna pull the trigger and buy them?

also I know that i will need a delta panhard drop bracket but what about for the front panhard? do i need to get a drop kit for the front one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom