HZJ78 Interior Panel Fabrication (need advice) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at replacing my beat-to-hell interior panels (plywood) with some kind of tough plastic panels that can take some abuse and absorb some vibration and sound. It's my personal vehicle and work truck, mainly transporting beer kegs and brewery equipment. I've looked through a couple of threads regarding panel fabrication and seen some great work. I just wanted to see if anyone had any new advice on the subject.

Also, if anyone happens to live in Panama, where would one source this kind of material? I've had a heck of a time finding anything that comes close (at least here in Chiriquí). Thanks!

fullsizeoutput_377e.jpeg

I bet you can find marine grade plywood that will weather better in your moist climate.

Can you get IPE easily in Panama? That wood lasts forever and is hard as heck.

For beer kegs and other heavy gear, I would build some metal strips into the design so the kegs dont actually touch the panel. I think the best thing you can do is get rid of the factory clips and replace them with self tapping screws with rubber washers

Those panels don't look that bad to me. At least I don't see any gouges or splintering. Before you go all crazy with materials why don't you just paint those with some marine grade, two part epoxy paint and add some rubber/metal strips per Rosco's suggestion?

Not sure I would go with self tapping screws. My preference would be nutserts if you are going to change from the OEM fasteners. Just my 2 cents.

Also you can always use some peel and stick sound dampener on the back side (eg. dynamat or equivalent).

Not sure I would go with self tapping screws

That plastic crap Toyota use is junk. Every single one broke last time i removed the panels using a proper tool. The self tappers with rubber washers go on/off in about 5 seconds with an electric screwdriver and looked quite good. The ones I used had a faily flat head and didnt protrude much.

HDPE available in a variety of thicknesses and sheet sizes at Grainger. Cut to fit with a jigsaw.

Cheers
man, i wish. problem is shipping to panama is megabucks, especially something that odd of a size. need to find something down here...

Those panels don't look that bad to me. At least I don't see any gouges or splintering. Before you go all crazy with materials why don't you just paint those with some marine grade, two part epoxy paint and add some rubber/metal strips per Rosco's suggestion?

Not sure I would go with self tapping screws. My preference would be nutserts if you are going to change from the OEM fasteners. Just my 2 cents.

Also you can always use some peel and stick sound dampener on the back side (eg. dynamat or equivalent).
anything is better than the drywall screws currently employed. agree with the sound dampener, that's a must.

That plastic crap Toyota use is junk. Every single one broke last time i removed the panels using a proper tool. The self tappers with rubber washers go on/off in about 5 seconds with an electric screwdriver and looked quite good. The ones I used had a faily flat head and didnt protrude much.
yeah those clips went bye bye a long time ago. i'll be using some kind of screw.

the panels are pretty beat up, and i'd like the hard plastic, especially after seeing some of the fine work done on this forum. agree to use some kind of screw.

Can you get IPE easily in Panama? That wood lasts forever and is hard as heck.

interesting, i just looked that up. thanks for info. don't know if anyone down here has that or if they'd have it in thicker than laminate size. actually tons of teak grown here, but mostly for export.

How about sourcing some kind of tie down tracks from commercial trucks. Then bolt them to
the plywood sides and utilized them as ‘bumpers’ as well as the ability to secure your kegs.
Something like this? It should be able to be sourced there

man, i wish. problem is shipping to panama is megabucks, especially something that odd of a size. need to find something down here...

Lots of big construction supply and hardware stores down there. I lived in Panama in 09/10 and have been back a number of times, 2018 being last time. You might check around for the HDPE, who knows.

Or sheets of aluminum?

Cheers

There is a Grainger in Panama City or at least it used to be there a few years ago when I lived in PTY.

It is a little off topic, but I really like the flooring you have in there. Can you comment on how practical it has proven? And what kind of underlayment did you use to support it? Just more plywood?

I like that modular flooring so much I wonder if you could not use it on the sides; perhaps with aluminum channels top and bottom.

How about sourcing some kind of tie down tracks from commercial trucks. Then bolt them to
the plywood sides and utilized them as ‘bumpers’ as well as the ability to secure your kegs.
Something like this? It should be able to be sourced there
that's a cool idea. i'm looking at that site. thanks.

It is a little off topic, but I really like the flooring you have in there. Can you comment on how practical it has proven? And what kind of underlayment did you use to support it? Just more plywood?

I like that modular flooring so much I wonder if you could not use it on the sides; perhaps with aluminum channels top and bottom.
ha ha! that was my brother who had a fine furniture shop for a while down here. it was really all hand made with local hardwood that people use for fence posts because it's almost indestructible. it's been great for my purposes of withstanding kegs, equipment, and moisture. i don't quite know what the method to the madness was. next time i see my brother i'll ask him the particular. using it on the sides is too much work for me, but i'm sure it's doable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom