HZJ75 Pump Truck Take Down-Utility/4x4 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my first time creating a thread and I am excited about sharing my new project. Mud has been a good resource to me throughout the years and I’m ready to potentially add to Mud and also gather even more insight throughout this build and I welcome opinions and ideas.

I am at the beginning of my journey with this HZJ75 fire truck build it started with finding a good platform as I had been waiting and searching for one with power steering. Finally, I found one about a month ago and I jumped on it, snagging it the morning it was posted. I didn't want to have to fuss with fitting PS. This truck has 5551 km on it and it definitely shows, as it is in mint condition. There is no way to know how many hours are on the motor as it is a pump truck used in stationary position while running the PTO in a water pump setup. But the motor runs strong and is very very clean. Haven’t done compression so got no info on that.

I have a lot more research to do on this idea I have for suspension, as this has been a new concept for me. My brother has some good info on a 60 build of his where ford and chevy springs were used 53” and I think 60" or something from the rears. I have to do my own measurements and figure all this out still. Cause after his rig was finished it drove like butter and had some amazing travel.

Here are my ideas/hopes so far:

-Remove pump station (hopefully sell the PTO pump to a local farmer in need? this thing is massive!)

-Build bed with bed rack for RTT ( I want flat bed that has fold up sides)

- add or change out to a 40+ gallon fuel tank

-Custom suspension with longer springs front and back, correct caster angle, cut and turn axle (I'm thinking possible shackle reversal for front during all this but would love to hear opinions on this idea)

-34ish" tires and 17" steel rims

-Air lockers front and back

-Front mount electric winch

-Thinking to bring PTO drive shaft back for industrial usage e.g. Wood chipper maybe splitter or possible Hydraulics to run such luxuries or anything else that seems fun

-Might do some gearing depending on how 34s feel

-Paint
20220318_083722.jpg

20220315_175234 (1).jpg

Working on the same project myself. Congrats on the sweet truck.
Given how clean these are they make a nice clean low mile platform to start with i think we'l see more and more of them.

Removing the back is not hard, just have some heavy gear to pick the back off (IT IS HEAVY!)
Lost of bolts, will be welded in a few spots also, I separated the pump and removed it from under the seat once that back gear was off.
Stripped out all the plumbing for it and the throttle cable that goes from the fire box to the engine

Long Range America have a 39 gal tank for $2500 ish (if you got a fat wallet its prob a good option.. you prob have to cut out the rear tire hanger from the chassis) 6 month wait, Im still looking for a better option - anyone else have ideas for that?

Im interested to hear your ideas on suspension, Im leaning towards OME and know some that have gone with Dobbisons
I took two springs out of the rear leaf packs, so i would not loose any fillings in my teeth for the time being. Suspension is harder than woodpecker lips once you get that back off.

There are some other threads on here that show pulling out the oil cooler, heat exchange radiator under the bubba lip on the front etc
Depending on what radiator you got in there you may need to switch it out or re route the lower hose across the front of the engine
(I chose to replace it as i did not like that idea)

Where are you located? PM me id be interested to share progress as you go

Working on the same project myself. Congrats on the sweet truck.
Given how clean these are they make a nice clean low mile platform to start with i think we'l see more and more of them.

Removing the back is not hard, just have some heavy gear to pick the back off (IT IS HEAVY!)
Lost of bolts, will be welded in a few spots also, I separated the pump and removed it from under the seat once that back gear was off.
Stripped out all the plumbing for it and the throttle cable that goes from the fire box to the engine

Long Range America have a 39 gal tank for $2500 ish (if you got a fat wallet its prob a good option.. you prob have to cut out the rear tire hanger from the chassis) 6 month wait, Im still looking for a better option - anyone else have ideas for that?

Im interested to hear your ideas on suspension, Im leaning towards OME and know some that have gone with Dobbisons
I took two springs out of the rear leaf packs, so i would not loose any fillings in my teeth for the time being. Suspension is harder than woodpecker lips once you get that back off.

There are some other threads on here that show pulling out the oil cooler, heat exchange radiator under the bubba lip on the front etc
Depending on what radiator you got in there you may need to switch it out or re route the lower hose across the front of the engine
(I chose to replace it as i did not like that idea)

Where are you located? PM me id be interested to share progress as you go
Hey African welcome. I sent a PM. thanks for the insight on the bed removal Im goingto get into it today. here is a tank I'm considering.

An after market ford tank sold for 700 way cheaper than 2500 and i dont expect waiting a half year to get it either. I would fond something like this and fit it up for your self which is probably what youl do with LRA too. Plus i dont like how low those are getting mounted. I wanna protect my fuel! I actually bought a used oem one for 10$ lol but after I got it I realized that some oem ones had "delamination problems " ford 99-2010 had a huge problem with this. so now that I have the pickup unit I'm thinking of buying a 700$ poly one. I think it's about 15" deep and I gotto remeasure but 35x35" or so. It should fit fine. I want to mount it high at least above the bottem of the frame so i know my bed will have to be elivated a bit too. Gives me room for tool storage boxes under bed. I Might keep my 15 gal tank along with the 40. I used to burn veggie oil and 2 tanks is the way to do it, keeping diesel in one tank always and using the other for veggie. But this is not a priority right now and I actually haven't even considered doing this again. It was a pretty involved process to filter and heat to separate water once it's set up it's not as much work. With fuel prices now though it's making me reconsider lol.

Love seeing more fire trucks being built. I'm settling for my 62 until I can bring a 79 into the states.

View attachment 2979277

-Rob
You did some awesome work! Love that bed man. I just got the pump station off yesterday. Took two days. Today I'm goingto remove some leafs from the back and try to add them to the front because my front is basically sitting on the bumps! (Yes I removed the 200# anchor weight in front haha) This will probably just be a temporary solution for now.
But gosh that was alot of work i am so relieved its off. The way I removed the back is not recommended ugh jacked it up and drove it away highly NOT recommended lol.
20220411_181715.jpg

Lola got her springs rearranged yesterday to provide 3.5" gap at the bump stops which I'm figuring is maybe stock or so as a temporary solution to her saggy front. From the top #3 and #4 springs came from the back one from the long 2 and one from the medium. Then I put the two shortist springs from front into the back so I didn't have to cut new threads in my Ubolts in back I didn't have the die for it.
Today was basically sort of a rest day took the trip down to town to get groceries. But when I got back up I was peaking around and saw an oil hose coming from below the oil filter was completely disconnected. Put a better hose clamp on it and stuck it back on. Thankfully my oil level is still normal. I'll have to sort out what is going on with this whole radiator oil business. I know some others have documented this but I can't remember the best fix. I know I don't really want to get a new radiator..
Also bought some rims yesterday Pro Comp Wheels 97-7983S3.5 Pro Comp Xtreme Rock Crawler Series 97 Steel Black Wheels | Summit Racing - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PCW-97-7983S3-5
I wanted like 8" wide cause I wanna keep a narrow tire but these will do. Better than the quote I got for 2,000$ from "The Wheel Smith" I'm sure Bob and them make excellent rims but for a steel rim I feel like over 100 per is more than needed. So I spent more than needed anyway at 140$ lol, but I really wanted 17" rims.
Betsy squeezed herself into this photo she will be looking for a new home very soon. 1PZ But mostly just cause we all love seeing landcruisers. Currently she is my daily until Lola is ready.

I have a set of Dobinson springs for sale, but you would need to measure the distance between the front and rear rear spring eyelets.
Thanks man pm sent. Post pics/info here if you want. Might help spread the word for you

What year can we get 79s into the US? Nice 62!
Maybe single cab in 2024? But double cabs I'm not sure I cant tell if they were making them before 2012 or not. If they started making them in 2012 than we will have to wait till 2037? If my math is correct. Lol some one should correct me I hope I'm wrong in that. Just has to be 25 years old or older to bring them over to USA

Maybe single cab in 2024? But double cabs I'm not sure I cant tell if they were making them before 2012 or not. If they started making them in 2012 than we will have to wait till 2037? If my math is correct. Lol some one should correct me I hope I'm wrong in that. Just has to be 25 years old or older to bring them over to USA

2008 is when the DC came out for the 70-series.

Cheers

What year can we get 79s into the US? Nice 62!

Thanks!

I believe they built dual cab fire trucks as early as 1999 or 2000, which means we could get one here in about two or three years.

-Rob

Lola got her springs rearranged yesterday to provide 3.5" gap at the bump stops which I'm figuring is maybe stock or so as a temporary solution to her saggy front. From the top #3 and #4 springs came from the back one from the long 2 and one from the medium. Then I put the two shortist springs from front into the back so I didn't have to cut new threads in my Ubolts in back I didn't have the die for it.
Today was basically sort of a rest day took the trip down to town to get groceries. But when I got back up I was peaking around and saw an oil hose coming from below the oil filter was completely disconnected. Put a better hose clamp on it and stuck it back on. Thankfully my oil level is still normal. I'll have to sort out what is going on with this whole radiator oil business. I know some others have documented this but I can't remember the best fix. I know I don't really want to get a new radiator..
Also bought some rims yesterday Pro Comp Wheels 97-7983S3.5 Pro Comp Xtreme Rock Crawler Series 97 Steel Black Wheels | Summit Racing - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PCW-97-7983S3-5
I wanted like 8" wide cause I wanna keep a narrow tire but these will do. Better than the quote I got for 2,000$ from "The Wheel Smith" I'm sure Bob and them make excellent rims but for a steel rim I feel like over 100 per is more than needed. So I spent more than needed anyway at 140$ lol, but I really wanted 17" rims.
Betsy squeezed herself into this photo she will be looking for a new home very soon. 1PZ But mostly just cause we all love seeing landcruisers. Currently she is my daily until Lola is ready.
Hey Lean2lux! I have a friend with a firetruck as well. I mentioned you swapped your leafs to increase the front gap. Would you have more pics to show what you did. Hows the ride with the change?

I did flip them and it helped me fit my 35" tires barly. But that was temporary cause they didnt lift enough and not enough travel.
Now I put in I think like 68" long ford springs 3" wide really soft ride but lots of work. This spring this too long cause there is interference with trans mount I had to do some fabrication work. And I'll be cutting and turning my axle for caster correction soon. Im just waiting on my front locker to arrive so I don't pull my axle apart twice. I'll find a few pics. I recommend the rear springs of these 75 series these trucks look like a perfect length for longer front springs and no interference with trans mount. But figure out how much lift you want and buy it for that. And fab your mounts they would be 2.75" wide too which will fit everything else.
I still haven't fitted my truck with new shocks yet. I just remounted the old ones. I want to put bilstein 5165s under it. lots still to do but it's been fun
20221111_121424.jpg
20221003_123726.jpg

Oops 58" total length I mean ford's these are lift springs not stock

Hey Lean2lux! I have a friend with a firetruck as well. I mentioned you swapped your leafs to increase the front gap. Would you have more pics to show what you did. Hows the ride with the change?
I don't have more photos of this flipping project with the old springs but I did describe how I did it and that was simply so it would lift it a few inches above the bump stops since mine were nearly riding on the bumps like slight down hill slope and they would touch. But it was a painful day of working with heavy material for really no gain. It did lift it a few inches but the ride was very stiff. I also eventually actually flipped the spring where the rear eye was to the front and front to rear cause this relocates the axle 1.5" forward or so giving me more clearance at the rear of my wheel well. That's where big tires will rub when turning and such. Still those stock springs are so short hard to get good travel. Now I have about 7" gap at bump stops but tons of travel cause my springs allow lots of downward travel as well as the extra up travel the lift provides.

I would love help on valving the bilstein shocks if anyone has experience with this. I weighed my truck and i think it should be about 5,800lbs or so when iv added a bumper and a rack for the RTT and wench.

I did flip them and it helped me fit my 35" tires barly. But that was temporary cause they didnt lift enough and not enough travel.
Now I put in I think like 68" long ford springs 3" wide really soft ride but lots of work. This spring this too long cause there is interference with trans mount I had to do some fabrication work. And I'll be cutting and turning my axle for caster correction soon. Im just waiting on my front locker to arrive so I don't pull my axle apart twice. I'll find a few pics. I recommend the rear springs of these 75 series these trucks look like a perfect length for longer front springs and no interference with trans mount. But figure out how much lift you want and buy it for that. And fab your mounts they would be 2.75" wide too which will fit everything else.
I still haven't fitted my truck with new shocks yet. I just remounted the old ones. I want to put bilstein 5165s under it. lots still to do but it's been fun
View attachment 3170570View attachment 3170573
You are having to much fun. I like the look, those 35 fit nicely. You customed a flat bed and retained the original taillights. Would you have the dimensions of your flat bed available? Are you running a 1.5 wheel spacer in the rear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom