Hypothetically speaking... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a stock 83 FJ60 and all is running well except I have an oil leak from my transmission into my transfer case. Obviously the breather hose does not work to cycle the oil back into the transmission so I was wondering what your thoughts are on running the same breather hose from the FILL plug of the transfer case to the DRAIN plug of the transmission. I know my transfer case is always going to have excess oil and was thinking that with the pressure and downward flow that would result from connecting it like that would regulate the levels in both. Any thoughts here? It would be easy then to just check the Transmission fill plug for its correct level. I am buying time until I put in the 5 speed and do all associated work then but was just thinking out loud today.

I would open the PTO cover and make sure the bolts on the inside of the transfer are still tight, the oil is either leaking into the transfer thru the bolts or the idler shaft.

so I was wondering what your thoughts are on running the same breather hose from the FILL plug of the transfer case to the DRAIN plug of the transmission.

That hose workaround is just a gravity feed. If you connect the hose as you described, the transmission gear oil will drain until both cases ' oil levels are exactly the same.

Bottom line: the transfer case will get waaaay overfilled and the TMS will drain most of its oil into the transfer.

Bottom, bottom line: Don't do it.

My transfer case did the same thing (slowly got overfilled from leaky seal). It did it for 15 years. Just drain the excess out of the transfer case occasionally and put it back into the transmission- or pump new oil in.
Yeah it's a pain - but not too bad

Replace the transmission rear shaft seal.

Only proper fix is to split the case and replace the seal. May as well rebuild the t/c while apart. Steps for this are in the 84 chassis and body fsm under transfer case section.
1578262094194.png

I appreciate the replies. I didnt think of checking the bolts through the PTO cover. I will do that first thing tomorrow. Otherwise I will just stay on it, draining and refilling as necessary. Its not that bad really just something extra you have to do every now and again. Thanks again,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom