Hutchenson Rock monster wheels (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am seriously thinking of getting a set of these wheels, I really like the look and functionality of them.
Double bead lock and the ability to service them in the field. But I must admit that it really comes down to the look of the wheel.. it just looks mean! Serious duty and military tough. My one hesitation is wheel weight.
So I called Hutchenson and asked.. the wheel it self is 40.2 lbs, the bead lock center is 10 lbs... so is 50 lbs a wheel to heavy?
I know that I ran Toyo MT's on steel rims on my FJ40 (it did a number on it..) but those tires were 82 lbs each and the steel wheels were 28 lbs! So a total of 110 lbs of wheel and tire!
After the math the Rock monsters and tires will weigh almost exactly the same, but on a super charged FZJ80 Vs my old multi geared FJ40 (Muncie SM420/Marlin toybox/FJ60 Transfer case for a 150:1 crawl).
So Im really hesitating on going with these wheels, I really like the idea and look.. but not at the cost of power loss on an already power challenged vehicle.

Anybody run really heavy wheels on their 80 and want to give an opinion?

What about re-centered hummer wheels? Those are probably heavy too though.

There are two major issues with the Hutchinsons.

You're right the first is weight. Unfortunately it is a cast aluminum wheel, and it could be much lighter.

The second is the inner insert width. Depending on the thickness of the cross section of the sidewall on the tire you choose you might have to buy or modify the inserts. I had tires with very thick sidewalls and you could not draw the two halves together because the thickness of the insert and tire beads were too thick to compress. I was told I could modify the inserts, run different tires or buy additional inserts of slightly different size.

I talked to Hutchenson and asked about this (inserts), he told me they only sell them with the BL107 bead lock and it was compatible with just about all tires.

Looks very interesting and beyond cool.

Prices seem to be around 400 a wheel which for what you get doesn't seem all that bad.

I checked out their website and it doesn't look like they support the 80 series but perhaps another member could suggest a size that would work with modification. Curious if these would fit an FJ80 (91-92) and if so what size.

Hope the OP goes through with these :)

Yeah, I will support a vendor if at all possible, and no its not an emergency..LOL!
This would be a late fall/early spring project.

These are certainly fine for an 80, they are not new, and have been run on several 80's. Treeroot's 80 being the most infamous. But Slee was certainly one of the first in the LC community to have a set. He had them back in probably 2006-2007 for Ultimate Adventure.

131-0611-07-z%2bua-truck-driver-profiles%2bchristo-slee.jpg

Looks very interesting and beyond cool.

Prices seem to be around 400 a wheel which for what you get doesn't seem all that bad.

I checked out their website and it doesn't look like they support the 80 series but perhaps another member could suggest a size that would work with modification. Curious if these would fit an FJ80 (91-92) and if so what size.

Hope the OP goes through with these :)

HA! too funny I just read that!!

Well hopefully others can glean some good information from there since you already found it! haha Your google-fu is strong. Theres a set for sale on here in the W&T Section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom