Hunting for HD Recovery Points (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’d get the tundra recovery points or a bumper with them integrated in. The normal bolt on options are way to chunky and really decrease your approach angle
The more I'm on Mud the more I realize that approach angle matters to very few :doh:

Every inch does matter...

It is funny people bolting big beefy 1" thick tow points to a frame rail less than 1/4" thick.
There needs to be more support. Especially side pulls.
The thickness of the bolt-on recovery point helps keep screw pin bow shackles from getting too sideways.
The thickness of the bolt-on recovery point also helps keep the recovery point from being damaged when it hits rocks, since it is low hanging. Damage like I did to my factory loops (loops that are variously described in the Owner's Manual as towing loops)
The 80 frame has a reinforcing plate inside the frame rail. It is visible under the welded nuts.
The welding of the nut is not to hold the recovery point better. It is so the nuts don't move when the bolt is inserted.
The pull is basically never in line with the bolt so you are not pulling against the nut/bolt threads. You are pulling against the shear strength of the two bolts plus the clamping friction.
Any recovery point can be compromised if you try hard enough. In my opinion, backed up by a fair bit of training, experience, and 21 years wheeling this particular 80, they are suitable, and provide a superior approach angle over the factory loops. YMMV!

:cool: Hopefully some will find this useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom