Howell TBI Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been awhile since I posted. Retired from my last job, started a new one so it’s been a bit busy.
Finally got some time to work on the 40 so I thought I’d tackle a few problems. Got tired of the Weber 32/36 running like crap, tried the Chinese knock off ‘stock’ carb and couldn’t get the jetting right so I sprang for the Howell TBI kit. Still have a few things to address but for the most part it’s installed and running great. I don’t think I’ve ever done a mod that had such a profound improvement in performance.

863AEB14-6E7B-4670-878D-F7F93B74CC83.jpeg

63CF303B-8557-4FD1-8D1D-B8259AEC0B20.jpeg

ABD50639-C738-40C3-BA5B-8DCB9DEE2DA2.jpeg

A792FE29-610F-4677-9183-222591437F79.png

493ABE91-6F86-465A-8F9B-E893C457EC50.jpeg

I’ve never had the stock air cleaner and with the Wildwood brake master there isn’t much room. A $90 cold air intake for a Chevy truck worked well pointing forward. It wouldn’t work turned across the engine because it would need about an inch spacer to clear the valve cover.
The computer is mounted in an old first aid kit (thanks Dave) with cooling vent holes cut in it. May have to mount a small 12v fan to pump some air thru but so far so good.

I’m thinking I got her figured out. I was trying to set the distributor to factory timing and totally spaced that the dui needs 12 degrees. I’ll dive in when I get back from hunting

Is that air cleaner off a certain Chevy ? I have a Howell set up on a 40 also.

Firemedic831, I think it was for the 1988 thru 1995 Chevy 1500 V8 pickup, Suburban, Tahoe etc.

About 800 right now. Still trying to see what timing works best. At 12 degrees +/-

I’m just starting this same install but I’m having a few fitment issues. I have a 72 fj40 and have the Howell tbi kit. I had to mill the adapter plate for the tbi to mount. Now I don’t have enough room to plug in the “idle air control switch” has anyone had issues with Howell products not fitting correctly? My instructions are all for a jeep inline 6 but I’d assume they are the same.

image.jpg

I’m just starting this same install but I’m having a few fitment issues. I have a 72 fj40 and have the Howell tbi kit. I had to mill the adapter plate for the tbi to mount. Now I don’t have enough room to plug in the “idle air control switch” has anyone had issues with Howell products not fitting correctly? My instructions are all for a jeep inline 6 but I’d assume they are the same.

View attachment 2998387
Sorry. Just saw this. The aluminum valve cover may have a bit more room.
image.jpg

Also check out JNH's (Jared) build below. It's a Howell system and it may help answer some questions.

Been dealing with some issues. I’ve been trying to figure out why this thing is running so rich. First start had been ok but the second start would have it bogging down like it was flooded. Then it just stopped starting.
I ended up tracing it to a burnt fuel pump relay. Not sure how I did that but it would run ok, and prime ok but wouldn’t sequence fuel for the start. Weird.
Replaced the relay and I removed the aftermarket tach that seemed to be f’n with the computer. Will run it to town tomorrow to see if it’s good.
I thought this TBI would be plug n play. Apparently I don’t know s***.

I guess the honeymoon is over. I'm ready to ditch this whole TBI thing and do an engine swap. I've never been able to really get it dialed in and the last couple times I've driven it the fueling has gotten so bad that if I let off the throttle it'll stumble (on re-application of the pedal) and damn near throw you thru the windshield. I'm talking BIG stumble and occasional backfire. Steady throttle it runs fine. First start it and the first couple minutes are ok, other than being rich. Let off the throttle in normal driving and it'll happen.

The '40 is a 1967 with cable linkage. It originally came with a weber which I got rid of, I tried one of those cheap chineese pieces of crap then the Mosley / Howell TBI. I'm ready to take any and all suggestions. Really thinking of going back to a stock carb if I can find one and selling this fuel injection farce.

The engine is a '73 1F transition engine (F 1.5 bored 40 over with headers).

Thanks

Pat
IMG-2661.jpg
IMG-2662.jpg

..........maybe I'll go electric :flush:

IMG_2665.jpeg

I think I might have found my problem. Cracked intake manifold. Was removing the TBI to see if I could identify any vacuum leaks (could hear a slight whistle) and found it.
So, let me first apologize to the gods of fuel injection and second…..

anyone have an intake manifold for a 73/74 F.5 engine they want to sell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom