Holly Sniper 1 Issue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 4/72 FJ40 that now has a 5.7 SBC engine with a Holley Sniper 1. I have also included a picture of the fuel original tank. The engine starts and idles fine, but as soon as I drive the vehicle, it acts like its fuel starved.

There is no fuel supply port on the bottom of the tank other than the tank drain plug. For this reason, I used the port in the side of the tank to feed the supply side of the electric fuel pump (which is how it was when I had the F engine). The electric fuel pump is attached to the frame rail about 6 -8” below the fuel feed port in the side of the tank. I am using one of the EVAP ports as a return line for the Holley Sniper.

Holley tech support thinks this will not work as the electric pump does not have enough draw/suction to pull fuel under a load. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this?

As a solution, I was thinking of converting the drain plug into the fuel supply port. Has anyone done this?

IMG_20200801_141148_6.jpg

There are a few things you need to verify . 1 Are all 4 injectors Firing ? What is your fuel pressure at the Throttle Body ?

Last edited:
I have a fuel pressure gage on the carb body that is showing around 60 PSI during idle. It starts right up and revved fine but as I drove it around the neighborhood (1/4 mile) it started acting like it was fuel starving. I was getting yellow and red AFR/AF warnings on the hand held screen. It finally quit and would not restart and had to be pulled home. I removed the existing program from the SD card, and reloaded the latest firm ware and will give it a shot starting again in the next couple days.

Make sure all 4 injectors are firing . Also rev the engine while you watch the fuel pressure gauge . . The Electric Fuel pump has to suck some regardless since it is not mounted in the tank . . I had all these issues with my Sniper . Only difference is i have a in tank pump . . When you get it started make sure you look down the throttle body and make sure all 4 injectors are spraying fuel . It is very common to have a injector wire come loose . Also if you had any junk in the tank the 10 micron filter can get clogged pretty easy .

Also you do not need to take the SD card out. you can just go in the wizard and start over .

Just some thoughts. It would be nice to monitor your pressure gauge as your problem occurs. I was just wondering if you could plumb the gauge temporary to a position where you could see it while driving. Maybe using “THIS” or “THIS”.

A camera would be nice also. I’ve used “THIS” before to see the gauge while driving. I also use it at the flywheel timing window along with “THIS” when finding TDC for valve adjusting and/or dizzy install.

Are your pre and post filter of adequate capacity & clean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom