How to tell if my steering Stabilizer is bad? (1 Viewer)

My '78 Fj40 has 282,000 miles on it, with the original stabilizer on it. I was just wondering if it's the source of my fj's wandering. We completely rebuilt the front axle, including new tie rods, rebuilt center arm. The only thing I didn't rebuild was the drag link joint off of the steering box. Any thoughts>>>>>

thanks

Ryan

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
Morse_FJ40 said:
My '78 Fj40 has 282,000 miles on it, with the original stabilizer on it.

Trust me.....it is bad.

Replace it.

Morse_FJ40 said:
We completely rebuilt the front axle, including new tie rods..

Did you install new knuckle bearings?

How much slop is in the steering gear?

Poser,

Yeah we went through the entire axle complete knucke rebuild, boy what a difference after that. It steers like a dream compared to before. But I just got back from a trip up to the mountains ot see my sister and her family. The road isn't the best, but she was hopping all over the road. The steering wheel has about 1/2 inch or more of slop, I was also thinking I need to adjust the steering box.

thaks
Ryan

Steve ,

what brand of stabilizer should I get??? OME??? What about a JTO oem replacement??

go to your nearest parts store and get one from them, checker i know has. all the above listed will do fine.

how are your tires, new, old, rotated, balanced?

they could be one problem.

Cam,

I bought brand new BfG 33x10.5 MT, and new american racing rims in Aug. 05.

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
I do not know if there are other brands available that will be an exact replacement for the OEM in the stock location....I know that the OME one is, but I am not sure about any others....If that matters to you....

What is the condition of your springs/bushings?

Are you running longer than stock shackles up front?

Rancho 2 1/2 in lift sua, with poly bushings, oversized pins, CCOT 1 1/2 longer than stock welded shackles. Bushing might be 1 1/2 old. Here is a pic of the shackles just after painting the tub, w/out and weight inside, they now sit a a good stock like angle.

Last edited:
Have you adjusted the pitman arm ball link ( I don't know the technical name) where the pitman arm attatches to the rod that runs along the frame. There is a spring in there and a slotted cap for adjustment if memory serves me. I adjusted this before going power steering and it helped dramatically. The pic is a rebuild kit from Specter.

Drag Link End

Last edited:
Greenie,

that's the only thing I haven't replaced, I will have to try to adjust it. I think it is probably the source of trouble.

You still should look inot a new steering stabilizer, yours probably doesn't leak because there is no oil in it. They don't ususally last 200,000 + miles IMO.

No I don't have any caster shims, probably need 4 degree shims.... since I have 1.5" longer than stock shackles.

Mud is such a great place!!!

CCOT says with 1.5" longer shackles I need the 4 degree shims,

while SOR says I only need 2.5 degree shims...?

FWIW, I changed out my original beat down steering stabalizer a few months back (posted about it here in these forums as well so if you are interested, you could search it out) and it made a world of difference for me. I ended up getting the highest end Rancho 5000. Even their highest end stabalizer is pretty inexpensive (assuming you have the brackets already). All this shimmy and desire for the rig to veer off at the slighest imperfection in the road was virtually cleared up. Not saying this is your issue, just saying replacing it was an awesome move and the Rancho seems to work nice. but yeah, 200,000 on a stabalizer??

I would personally look into all the potential issues mentioned. The most difficult, and frustrating will be the shims though. Caster is critical. The drag link end is a freebie, and the stabilizer is an almost no brainer. Personally I don't care for steering stabilizers, as they tend to hide other issues. But on the stock steering they are a necessary evil. Since I am using Hy-steer I don't run one. While working on a friend's '82 mini truck we removed his stabilizer, and found out his tie rod ends were way bad, and the drag link end adjustment cap was almost completely backed out. Replaced all tie rod ends, adjusted and lubed the drag link end, and it now drives without a stabilizer. No lift on it though. Good luck and keep us informed on your progress with this.

BTW That's a nice looking rig!

Thanks, I am ordering a new stablizer and some shims. Here is a pic of my fj up hunting this year.

later
Ryan
IMG_2642-1.JPG

thats a sweet ride. what exactly is that color. I am a fan of white and gray and wonder if you know the color code/name for that color?

no rear rubber fender flares?

The color is my stock color, '78 Dune Beige, I went with the Omni Line from PPG. I need to reshoot the hood, and add a little clear to the tub section. The tub I painted 2 days before I drove it to my wedding.

My old flares were all beat up, so I just haven't got around to buying new ones and installing them. I do know that I would be reiveting them in... I will go with small stainless bolts.

later
Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom