How To: Sliding Rear Window Seal Repalcement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the information!

I was wondering how important the Louver assemblies are to replace? The p/n 62906-60020 and 62905-60020.

They are each around $90 a piece and just curious if they help in preventing water intrusion.

I am resurrecting this thread. I am trying to replace the inner rubber gasket This is the gasket that sits between the window glass and the frame. How the heck do you do that? I have the parts but not sure how to proceed. TIA.

I am resurrecting this thread. I am trying to replace the inner rubber gasket This is the gasket that sits between the window glass and the frame. How the heck do you do that? I have the parts but not sure how to proceed. TIA.
I have done this on both my cruisers and it is truly a pain in the nether regions. As I recall you first need to install the soft gasket that the windows will run in. Be sure to line up the window catches with the correct slots in the gasket. On at least one of mine the gasket was maybe 1 cm to long so I just trimmed it to fit. Pop in the windows and the middle vertical stay bar. Up to this point it is real easy. Now you have to line up the main gasket and wrap it round the outside of the frame. This is also pretty straight forward. Once the main gasket is on you need fish the lip of the gasket over the metal frame edge. Be careful not to trap the window run gasket under the main gasket lip. I used a 90º pick (Similar to what a dentist might use) to gently lift the seal over the frame. It took freaking ages and involves a few choice words. You need to do both sides of each frame. It may be possible to put the main gasket on first but I can't remember if you have have access to the screws that hold the vertical stay. Either way its good to remind yourself that you will have lovely sliding windows and will never need to touch them again.

Good luck

I've watched this thread for a long time in anticipation of needing to perform the repair myself at some point. Now, having read through the how-to again, there is no way I would bother. Send this to a shop with OEM parts and be excited about all the time and effort saved. Or #gullwings

I didn't think this was too bad of a job. The only thing I needed help on was roping in the windows. @OTRAMM has a very helpful video for this job.

I've popped the window in and out a few times, not a big deal. I just couldn't figure out the inner rubber installation. I still am considering just putting in solid windows. I never use the sliders. But times are changing the with a new baby, the dog may be riding in the back. Sliders may be useful. I will try one. If it fails, I'm going solid glass.

Last edited:
So I got the window all back together but not installed. The problem I have is that the rubber gasket that the window slides in doesn't want to stay in the frame. Is this suppose to be glued? I am missing something.

There isn't any glue required. The rubber on which the windows slide is more or less supported by the windows themselves.

OK. Now that I re-read Irish's post, it looks like the outside rubber hold in the inside rubber? I am beginning to see where the pain-in-the-rear part of this job is.

OK. Now that I re-read Irish's post, it looks like the outside rubber hold in the inside rubber? I am beginning to see where the pain-in-the-rear part of this job is.
The inside rubber kind of presses in there in there and stays in with no adhesive.

The inside rubber kind of presses in there in there and stays in with no adhesive.

Not in my case. It stayed when the window was holding it in, but wanted to slip out when the window was slid open. That was without the outer rubber. The outer rubber wraps around the frame and holds the inside one in place. And putting on the outer rubber wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Some silicon spray and one of those hook tools for removing rubber hoses made it easier than I anticipated. Still have to actually put the window back in, but the windows slide back and forth like butta. Hoping to get it all back in place tomorrow, wife and baby willing.

@Blacatoe what was the solution to the rust problem? Found this thread when I realized how much rust I have in the track when I went to open the window.
Rust on the body or the aluminum frame that the window sits in?

On the body: uninstall window sand down and repaint.

On aluminum frame: uninstall window. Remove outer rubber seal that houses the aluminum frame. Remove screws on top and bottom. Remove windows, beam that separates windows, and inner rubber seal that the windows sit in. Assess damage to the frame, if it's gone you'll have to buy one used from somewhere. If its salvageable you'll need to clear out gunk and replace the film squares on the bottom correctly so water can drip out the bottom and not into the car.

Rust on the body or the aluminum frame that the window sits in?

On the body: uninstall window sand down and repaint.

On aluminum frame: uninstall window. Remove outer rubber seal that houses the aluminum frame. Remove screws on top and bottom. Remove windows, beam that separates windows, and inner rubber seal that the windows sit in. Assess damage to the frame, if it's gone you'll have to buy one used from somewhere. If its salvageable you'll need to clear out gunk and replace the film squares on the bottom correctly so water can drip out the bottom and not into the car.

@ProjectLover It seems like it actually might just be the aluminum frame, it's not rust, it's just crumbling. If you pull back the rubber seal a bit you find out it's the only thing holding the frame together.

@ProjectLover It seems like it actually might just be the aluminum frame, it's not rust, it's just crumbling. If you pull back the rubber seal a bit you find out it's the only thing holding the frame together.
That's oxidized aluminum. If the water cant drain out through those plastic flaps on the bottom then water sits in the frame and dissolves it away slowly. You'll need to pull it to check the condition, clean and probably repair the flaps.

With mine, I had the aluminum frames powder coated to prevent future oxidation and upon assembly left the flaps off so that water will more easily drain. I also live in AZ where rain/ water is not as much of an issue.

With mine, I had the aluminum frames powder coated to prevent future oxidation and upon assembly left the flaps off so that water will more easily drain. I also live in AZ where rain/ water is not as much of an issue.
I initially thought the flaps also served little purpose. However if too much water travels through the holes on the bottom of the frame it was filling up the channel between the window and the body and overflowing into the cargo area and rusting my jack and soaking the carpet. Those little flaps have to be put together just right to prevent that.

I initially thought the flaps also served little purpose. However if too much water travels through the holes on the bottom of the frame it was filling up the channel between the window and the body and overflowing into the cargo area and rusting my jack and soaking the carpet. Those little flaps have to be put together just right to prevent that.
Thread rezzerection. My passenger rear window is leaking as well, but it's leaking from the corner, thru the window. The water is getting in thru the glass portion, and overflows between the glass and the rubber molding on the inside. Seems like I would have to replace the inner liner which is pita?

Thread rezzerection. My passenger rear window is leaking as well, but it's leaking from the corner, thru the window. The water is getting in thru the glass portion, and overflows between the glass and the rubber molding on the inside. Seems like I would have to replace the inner liner which is pita?
The inner gasket isnt hard to replace. None of it is once you have the window out. I think the inner gasket just keeps the sliding glass in place, it doesnt really waterproof anything. Your problem sounds like the flap has fallen off because of corroded aluminum or the adhesive wore off. You need to remedy those little flaps that only let a little water out of the bottom. If water flows too quickly through the bottom of the frame it makes it's way into the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom