How to remove nut that holds radiator bracket to the body. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
I'm pulling the radiator bracket so i can widen it for a bigger radiator ,

on the last bolt , up from underneath, instead of removing it, I've rounded off the corners.

Not much room to get at it to remove it, my first guess is an air chisel (after i widen i i can' use teh bolts any more anyway)

Is there a more clever way to remove it?

Drill it from the top maybe?

Thanks,

Eric/Cal

I'm pulling the radiator bracket so i can widen it for a bigger radiator ,

on the last bolt , up from underneath, instead of removing it, I've rounded off the corners.

Not much room to get at it to remove it, my first guess is an air chisel (after i widen i i can' use teh bolts any more anyway)

Is there a more clever way to remove it?

Drill it from the top maybe?

Thanks,

Eric/Cal
irwin.jpg

is the bib off? sawzall between frame and rad bracket

Weld a nut on it.

is the bib off? sawzall between frame and rad bracket

Both good ideas. I don't have a welder and tight area to weld a nut onto another nut and not the stud off the bracket.

Hate to cut or snap off the stud if it can be saved.

First I would run a die on the exposed thread. Then drive a impact socket on the round nut. Find sometimes tightening the nut a little first they will break free. Cleaning the thread it's less likely to bind up and snap while removing. Nothing worse then to have a nut to break free only to bind up from the rust on the threads then snap off.

Both good ideas. I don't have a welder and tight area to weld a nut onto another nut and not the stud off the bracket.

Hate to cut or snap off the stud if it can be saved.

in the OP, @caladin stated he wouldn't be re-using the bolts anymore anyway. easy peasy, cut it.

Maybe there is room to get a nut splitter on there, or cut the nut in half with a dremel. Cut on two sides of the nut with a dremel as close down to the threads as you can and then with a chisel split the nut off. With the rubber bushing this is not a nut that is to tight but one that is just to rusted on there.

in the OP, @caladin stated he wouldn't be re-using the bolts anymore anyway. easy peasy, cut it.

I found out anytime I think something is going to be easy it's anything but. Those I'm dreading sometimes go so easy I wondering how did that happen.

While the original OP may not need it someone else may. If I needed one would rather have one with two intact studs.:meh:

A nut splitter seems like it would fit in there, any brands better than others?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom