How to make a FJ40 and BJ40 EMP proof?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

how are you going to test it to make sure its now EMP proof?

Just get a mulit-fueler M35A Duce and a 1/2 the government a built them for the very thing you are talking about. They are EMP proof and will run on anything flammable.

Just bought one..... , not sure my 77' can pull this thing back to GA though.....now to get one of them-there flux co-pass-I-tors installed!!!! Mac-Fly will have nothing on me.

A 77 FJ40 should be EMP-proof. It has points triggering a crude ignitor box. If the ignitor box is wiped out, there are instructions in the manual for how to bypass the ignitor and run it as a straight points/coil/condensor system.
The alternator has an old fashioned mechanical points regulator, so no problem there.
The gages on the dash are all crude bimetallic movements, so no problem there.
The emission computer under the dash could be damaged, but it has little effect on how the truck runs.

Don't know much about a 78 BJ40, but if it is similarly crude then it should also be fine.

Cruisers are the cockroaches of the automotive world: not highly evolved, not easy to kill.

Uh.. Jim I don't know what the ignitor box is.... But yes, all my parts are stock...

Oh my god I almost got sucked into a nerd debate on IH8MUD! It almost happened, I almost took the bait! Damn you internet! I started writing and then had a "what the F am I doing?" moment. While we're at it, what do you guys think of JJ Abrams and Star Wars? Does it bother you that the new movies aren't going to follow the plot from the existing Star Wars universe?????? What if it sucks? What if a Z class solar flare hits us before we get to find out! Should we hope that it hits before the movies are done incase they suck? I'm so stressed out….

Ok…. breathe….. ok…. so…...

Back to Cruisers, if your 40 has points, that's about all you have to worry about. ;)

I think someone should create a solar flare emoticon, or maybe a mushroom cloud. OR MAYBE A NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON EMOTICON. That would be cool….

Atlas, quit wasting space in the cloud. If you aren't interested in the topic then piss off. Obviously if FOX, CNN, and major news outlets are covering this story about the possibility of an EMP threat then its likely a real concern with a large enough crowd that people want to talk about it. Nobody forced you on this thread.

Just bought one..... , not sure my 77' can pull this thing back to GA though.....now to get one of them-there flux co-pass-I-tors installed!!!! Mac-Fly will have nothing on me.

That is very :censor:cool, however the cruisers are a bit more practical and already on hand for most of us. When I was in the army we did run those on just about any clean oil filtered to 20 micron.....

how are you going to test it to make sure its now EMP proof?

I think there are too many variables for a single test to be comparable but I really don't now. i.e. what is the strength and proximity to the EMP. As of right now, I'm going to procure just a few extra electrical parts. So far, I already have an extra working;

starter w/solenoid
alternator
points distributer

Might need;

coil
striker box?

But sounds like I might not need those. Now I'm thinking I need an extra Voltage regulator but Jim says those are mechanical..

I think you've been watching too many 'Mad Max' movies.. I thought this was all tongue in cheek stuff, but now I realise it is a script for a very bad movie..The russian nuclear threat was over in the 70's. Perhaps we should all be wary of waking the 'sleeping dragon'..

Great quote Jim.. 'Cruisers are the cockroaches of the automotive world'.. Hope you dont mind if I use it sometime..

Hahahaha.. Perhaps I'd better piss off too..

Gaz..

Aluminum foil hat...

I can only see this getting better and better......so its time for :popcorn: and :beer:

Obviously if FOX, CNN, and major news outlets are covering this story about the possibility of an EMP threat then its likely a real concern with a large enough crowd that people want to talk about it. Nobody forced you on this thread.

You do realize that those very same media outlets were spouting off for months/years about the looming apocalypse that was Y2K, right? Did you buy a car without computer control or a digital clock to make sure you were going to make it through? It was one big boondoggle for those who trade in hysteria, and not much more. Yes, some programs needed to be updated to work properly, but the problem was way overstated.

Just because some news channel says something 'may' happen, doesn't mean there is much of a chance of it happening.

The military considers these types of scenarios because they need to be able to survive anything an enemy might throw at them as best they can. They consider all sorts of low probability scenarios so they don't get caught with their pants around their ankles.

Watrob-My BJ40 very very basic B engine can run on almost any plant oil due to its indirect injection, and the FJ40 will run on ethanol, propane (with the forklift kit installed), avgas, mogas, etc etc. I don't need electricity at a gas station to get plant oils in the BJ40 or make ethanol for the FJ40. I can drive up to any waste oil bin and scoop, pump, or siphon oil into the tank of the BJ40. Also it would even run on used automatic transmission fluid or motor oil that is decently filtered for at least a little while. I'm pretty sure I'll have all the used ATF I can burn from all of the non-running cars littering the streets. I can drain that into a container and pour it in my diesel tank in case you were wondering. I'll preclude your next question too, I'll filter by soaking the oils through a pair of blue jean pants legs into buckets. No, it's not perfect for the BJ40 however it will run on it for a long time...

So does anybody know of any parts of the Fj40/BJ40 that would need to be replaced after an EMP?

Any component that has a transistor, capacitor & diodes will be short, specially if the engine is running at the time, so your alternator will be gone and the timer relay's you have. I hope your 40 is a Troopie because that's what you will need in the back seat - Troops, because any vehicle seen on the road being driven after a EMP strike, either the masses will take it off you or the Gov't will need it.

You would be better off hiding the vehicle for a few weeks until things quietened down, and during those few weeks learn Russian or Chinese?

So how are those ulcers doing. Damn I thought I worried too much about small stuff sometimes. If something like that was to ever happen it is the people out there that relly prepare for it that will cause the panic as well. Im just waiting for the conspiracy theory nuts to speak up on this. :D

Did they put something in the water out there recently?

Yikes.

Where are you going to drive to? How will you get past the armed groups wanting your stuff. If there is somewhere safe to drive to, do you think the well armed guy next door won't take what you have to save HIS family. How hard is it to make an fj40 bulletproof?

Uh.. Jim I don't know what the ignitor box is.... But yes, all my parts are stock...

Atlas, quit wasting space in the cloud. If you aren't interested in the topic then piss off. Obviously if FOX, CNN, and major news outlets are covering this story about the possibility of an EMP threat then its likely a real concern with a large enough crowd that people want to talk about it. Nobody forced you on this thread.

Hey man all in good fun! You can't possibly expect to bring apocalyptic scenarios into IH8MUD without being able to take a ribbing, can you? It's all good! Come to LA I'll buy you a beer and we can watch Godzilla together. For the record I am very concerned the new Star Wars will suck!

I have been in charge of designing a doomsday proof Suburban, faraday cage and all. I tried to argue with the customer that a one wire Diesel engine is by nature EMP proof, he still insisted in giving me his money to build the thing! I'm quite familiar what what you're getting at here and while there is real concern about things like electrical infrastructure and low orbit satellites, your trucklet is pretty much EMP proof. It may stall if it is running, but it should fire right back up again. If your vehicle is computer controlled and running during an event then you might have a problem, but you may not. You dash might crap out, but the car may run.

If you decide to EMP proof or build a faraday cage into your FJ40 I will subscribe to your thread and enjoy watching you put it together. If you wanted we could throw a set of our springs on it and make ride real nice so you don't need your kidney belt anymore after the apocalypse. :beer:

I think wow still has it...

This is chat-worthy...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom