How to acquire a trail damage without being on a trail. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice. Yep, that tire is a late 1994... Bridgestones usually only have the DOT marking on one side of the tire.

4-digit codes are 2000-up, while 3-digit codes are 1999 and earlier. Food for thought.

posted with my fingers

Yowza!!

Did the same thing happen to you???

Ran over a steel bumper that fell off of a scrap metal truck on the highway :eek:

Didn't think much of it, but about a mile later I felt a vibration that progressively got worse, so I slowed down to about 35mph and before I could get to the shoulder, it just let go, tearing off the flares and bumper end cap :doh:

It was a good excuse to get new KM2's and Hefty Wings ;)

hey everyone, dont mean to beat the dead horse, but arent these tires suppose to be heavy duty? so if the 80 is in the hot dry africa/australia desert? i remember reading that a particular SUV (no names, rhymes with ramboghini) had "scorpion" tires, can these be put on a 80 series?and ok they "say" 5 year shelf life, but I have had at least 7 years of service from my Goodyear Eagle F1 Zero tires from my corvette and about 60,000 miles on them.im just curious guys so ...

Nice. Yep, that tire is a late 1994... Bridgestones usually only have the DOT marking on one side of the tire.

4-digit codes are 2000-up, while 3-digit codes are 1999 and earlier. Food for thought.

posted with my fingers
Thank you, you tire guru you, sir! :D

Ran over a steel bumper that fell off of a scrap metal truck on the highway :eek:

Didn't think much of it, but about a mile later I felt a vibration that progressively got worse, so I slowed down to about 35mph and before I could get to the shoulder, it just let go, tearing off the flares and bumper end cap :doh:

It was a good excuse to get new KM2's and Hefty Wings ;)
Was this before you ran over the fridge? :hillbilly:

hey everyone, dont mean to beat the dead horse, but arent these tires suppose to be heavy duty? so if the 80 is in the hot dry africa/australia desert? i remember reading that a particular SUV (no names, rhymes with ramboghini) had "scorpion" tires, can these be put on a 80 series?and ok they "say" 5 year shelf life, but I have had at least 7 years of service from my Goodyear Eagle F1 Zero tires from my corvette and about 60,000 miles on them.im just curious guys so ...
I'm sure they're "heavy duty" compared to most street tires.

But, at least speaking for myself from this experience, it would be unreasonable of me to expect a product like a tire to be performing within its design/expected capabilities when the tire is 18 years old.

Having said that, I did not expect to fail in this dramatic of a fashion.
But I have also cut the sidewalls of a couple of the Dueller/Revo's just around town (rubbing against sharp/hard objects). It probably wouldn't have mattered whether it was the Revo's or (most) any other AT's...

YMMV though!

mot, glad you're ok. Congrats on finding a good used tire but you need 3 more.

Mot the remaning tires are presumably the same age as the one that peeled your flair off. I suggest you replace all of them as soon as you are able to. I am not at all confident in them.

By the way I really like the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs that I just put on mine.

D-

Last edited:
Thanks for the post.

The tire did come from Japan, meaning it was on my truck, as with the other three, when it crossed the pond.

If what you (or Tire Rack) say(s) is true, that means the tire is on its 18th year.

So much for taking on Bridgestone for a law suit. ;)

I priced a local tire shop for another Dueller AT. They quoted me $250 (275/75/16) and $350 for the GY Duratracs(sp). :eek:

I found a guy who works in the next city over that had a Dueller (same size) and is in great shape for $15.

Gonna pick it up this week, slap it on, and call it good, for now.

When these tires get closer to wearing out, perhaps toward the end of the year, I am planning on picking up a set of Duratracs in 315's. But that'll also mean having to get a rear bumper with a tire carrier... :doh:

A band-aid solution at best. I mean you dodged a bullet once, you are going to roll the dice again? You should know better. Tires is really one of those things you shouldn't take the cheaper route.

^^^^^ wot they said x 17

Tyres are the only thing that connects 3 tonnes of metal to the road. Don't mess about with them.

Glad to hear you and the truck are OK.
:steer:

x whatever. 18 year old tires aren't even good enough to be emergency spares. You're rolling on a time bomb. Even a good used tire would be an improvement.

mot, glad you're ok. Congrats on finding a good used tire but you need 3 more.
Thanks!

We'll see what I end up with. (Not injuries or death, I hope.)

Mot the remaning tires are presumably the same age as the one that peeled your flair off. I suggest you replace all of them as soon as you are able to. I am not at all confident in them.

By the way I really like the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs that I just put on mine.

D-
Yes, those Mickey Thompsons were nice!

If I go bigger, I think I would most likely go with the Duratrac's though since they would do really well in snow, unless I end up moving to where it won't snow. ;)

A band-aid solution at best. I mean you dodged a bullet once, you are going to roll the dice again? You should know better. Tires is really one of those things you shouldn't take the cheaper route.
I would like to think that I DO know better.

The three remaining tires are of the newer design and just checked the manufacture info on them:

DFB3604
DFB1108 (x2)

So, this means that I have a tire that was manufactured in the 36th week of 1994 and two that were made in '98???

:hmm:

At the risk of sounding like a wreckless douche, the other three tires look fine. I mean the one that came apart had a few tread blocks coming off, while the rest of the tires look totally fine.

HOWEVER, I guess I can always get a new set and throw the spare in the cargo area (Makes me uneasy about it w/o having it secured properly) or on the roof rack (Not very cool, IMO)

Dammit...

^^^^^ wot they said x 17

Tyres are the only thing that connects 3 tonnes of metal to the road. Don't mess about with them.

Glad to hear you and the truck are OK.
:steer:

x whatever. 18 year old tires aren't even good enough to be emergency spares. You're rolling on a time bomb. Even a good used tire would be an improvement.

I think I need to have my wife read this thread so she won't freak out when she sees the cc record/receipt for the new tire purchase...

Most tire shops in Reno won't even mount tires half that age. Mot get new tires.

mot said:
The three remaining tires are of the newer design and just checked the manufacture info on them:

DFB3604
DFB1108 (x2)

So, this means that I have a tire that was manufactured in the 36th week of 1994 and two that were made in '98???

I think that would be 2004 & 2008 respectively because of the four-digit codes.

Most tire shops in Reno won't even mount tires half that age. Mot get new tires.
Good thing I don't live in Reno. ;)

But isn't that where one of Tire Rack's warehouses is? Lucky you!!

If, I can verify the manufacture dates of the other tires below, I would shell out the $$$$ and get a new (not just "new-to-me") set of 35" tires.

I think that would be 2004 & 2008 respectively because of the four-digit codes.
If that is indeed the case, they're 8 and 4 years old.
"IF" that is indeed the case, then I just "might" keep them until they wear out, hopefully by the end of this year or next spring.

Not that I would not feel (much) better if I got a new set of tires, for safety reasons, but as usual, there is only so much (little) $$$ to go around and I have to prioritize.

Again, I do not mean to say that I do not value safety of myself, family, or bystandards(sp) though.

Mot if memory serves those were on the truck when you bought it. How long ago was that?

Mot if memory serves those were on the truck when you bought it. How long ago was that?

I "believe" I have owned it for close to 7 years now.

But I had a set of Yokohama Geolanders when I purchased the truck. Then a used set of Blizzaks that I did not bother to change after the winter because they were a few years old.

And then not too long before moving back to the US I started looking for tires and ended up with the Dueller AT's.

If I can get away with getting just one tire, again in good condition:rolleyes:, then I would like to do that.

But if these tires were manufactured in the last century, like the delaminated one, then I will not think for a second about keeping (or replacing) them. I have already started pricing the GY DuraTracs in 315's, just in case.

So, I just checked this Japanese site about the manufacturing date (Just to make sure).

It does, indeed, seem to be that the manufacturing dates on the three remaining tires are 2004 and 2008(x2).

I am not sure about 2004, but I'm comfortable with the two made four years ago.

So, I am going to pick up the one that I have in line and will be on a look out for another one to replace the 2004 model (I will have to keep a close eye on it for any indications of it failing as much as I can, just in case).

With that said, I have pretty much decided to go with a new set of 315's when this set that I have wear out.

I will have to start saving for them, as well as for the rear bumper, sliders, skid plate, springs/caster correction kit, RTT, ARB fridge, etc...

Thanks for those of you who have voiced their opinions and concerns. As always, I REALLY appreciate what you think and say.

Anyway, if you happen to hear a rumor that my truck crashed and I got killed (hopefully alone) due to an old tire blowing out, hopefully you'll feel at least some pity on me... :doh:

Thanks again!!

Mot

Glad to hear you were OK, mot!

I believe you made a good call in the last post. 4 years is well within usable life for these tires - In fact, mine (also Dueler AT) are at least that old; and I'm not a bit concerned with them at all.

Hope all is well with ya!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom