How to acquire a trail damage without being on a trail. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mot

Threads
So, I was on a freeway doing about 70mph when I heard a loud pop and then a bang around the left front tire, immediately followed by a cloud of smoke. :eek:

I immediately suspected and braced for a blown tire and then I saw the LF fender flare dancing away in tie door mirror.

I managed to keep it in my lane since the shudder was not too violent and did not last too long. I was able to pull over to tie shoulder where I could investigate the damage.

I was surprised to see the tire was still there, minus most of the tread. :eel:

The tread had delaminated and most of it had wrapped around the front axle while a small piece of it was hanging a bit further south of the vehicle.

I was on my way for a meeting and then to the airport. And not entirely confident of my tire-changing abilities I debated, for a second, with the idea of changing it right there and then and to crawl off tie next exit (about 2 miles away) and finding a shop.

I finally came to my senses and decided to change it there.

Anyway, I was late to my meeting by only about 15 min and made or to the airport and then to Vegas on time.

The flare has gone back to Mother Earth and the running board, from the brunt inertia of the delaminated tread, had been warped and even pushed the rocker panel in, to the point I worried if tie door was going to open/close.

The door works fine, but now I need to search got a fender flare, as well as either a new tire or use this as an excuse to go big(315's)

I am kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on Metal Tech's slider sale last month as they would have protected the rocker from this trail damage.

But I am grateful that I am still in one piece and I did no hurt anybody else (that I am aware of).

ForumRunner_20120510_141101.jpg
ForumRunner_20120510_141101.jpg
ForumRunner_20120510_141133.jpg
ForumRunner_20120510_141157.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch. We had 2 blowouts headed to and from Cruise Moab. The 2nd blow out in the tow rig was violent enough to smash up the both the tank fillers and blow apart the gas caps :eek:. One still work enough to fill one tank to get us home ('85 ford PS). (all retreads)

Last edited:
I am gonna chalk it up as a lesson learned, not to use an older tire that had lost some of the tread blocks due to chinking(?), but wow, how can you prepare for something like this... :eek:

Wow - that's pretty amazing! Got any pics of the old tire?

Retreads?
When did you check the pressure last?

If you have a chance I'm curious about the delaminated tyre:

- brand, model, size & weight range rating
- mileage
- production date
- off-road use conditions (sharp rocks, pressure & speed when aired down, etc...)

Wow, glad you're ok!

While I'm a firm believer in changing my shoes early and often, I'm curious as well to hear more tire details.

I am gonna chalk it up as a lesson learned, not to use an older tire that had lost some of the tread blocks due to chinking(?), but wow, how can you prepare for something like this... :eek:

You can't, only minimize chances by being proactive on manufacturing dates, rotate tires often, inspect for odd wear, check alignment, checking tire pressure every time you fill up, and buying quality name brand tires. This could happen to a brand new tire too but less likely. **** happens. Fix the problem and move on.

very curious with the production date as well. i bought my landcruiser and the PO barely drove it 30k miles in 12 years so he installed a set of 4 new tires but that was in 2005. and there is still 90% thread on them so im wondering if im ok to drive it or if should change them.

;)Hey Mot

Sorry to hear about your episode, fortunately you and the cruiser came out relatively unscathed! Just lipstick and mascara on the 80, nothing that a little dough won't fix! ;)

Cheers,
Gord

Wow - that's pretty amazing! Got any pics of the old tire?

Retreads?
When did you check the pressure last?
Eric,

I inflated the tire before leaving (Cruise) Moab on Sunday, to about 32psi, IIRC.

If you have a chance I'm curious about the delaminated tyre:

- brand, model, size & weight range rating
- mileage
- production date
- off-road use conditions (sharp rocks, pressure & speed when aired down, etc...)
It was an older Bridgestone REVO(?) AT.

I got it used when I was in Japan, but as I said above it's the older design. I will check on the production date (Would I find it on the side wall?)

And I've had it on at least for the last two years and aired it down to 18psi when I was in Moab, doing trails like Fins 'n Things and Gold Bar w/o any problems or issues (that I noticed anyway).

Wow, glad you're ok!

While I'm a firm believer in changing my shoes early and often, I'm curious as well to hear more tire details.
I had to park it at the airport after my meeting.
I loaded up the delaminated tread in the back of the vehicle, so I'll take pics when I get back home this weekend.

You can't, only minimize chances by being proactive on manufacturing dates, rotate tires often, inspect for odd wear, check alignment, checking tire pressure every time you fill up, and buying quality name brand tires. This could happen to a brand new tire too but less likely. **** happens. Fix the problem and move on.
All good points!

A valuable (and relatively) cheap lesson learned.

very curious with the production date as well. i bought my landcruiser and the PO barely drove it 30k miles in 12 years so he installed a set of 4 new tires but that was in 2005. and there is still 90% thread on them so im wondering if im ok to drive it or if should change them.
The tread on that particular tires (the other three are the newer design of the same tire) was about 40-50%.

As I said, that particular tire was chunking (not too severely, but nonetheless), so I should have paid more attention or I should have replaced it, but never in my wildest dream did I think it was going to delaminate in that fashion.

;)Hey Mot

Sorry to hear about your episode, fortunately you and the cruiser came out relatively unscathed! Just lipstick and mascara on the 80, nothing that a little dough won't fix! ;)

Cheers,
Gord
LOL! !

Gord,

Yeah, we all need dramas from time to time to keep us on our toes, right? ;)

Glad to hear everyone's okay, but I am disappointed that I am just learning now that you were in Moab and we did not meet!
I was just looking up at my red RC40 with the 4 wheel steering and thinking I should have brought it.

Glad to hear everyone's okay, but I am disappointed that I am just learning now that you were in Moab and we did not meet!
I was just looking up at my red RC40 with the 4 wheel steering and thinking I should have brought it.

Jeff,

The feeling is mutual.

It was not until after the event was over that you had been in Moab at the same time. :doh:

Maybe next year, perhaps???

production date will be on the sidewall, most likely after the size, it will be in an oval shaped indention with 4 numbers. the first 2 indicate the week and the last 2 will indicate the year.

production date will be on the sidewall, most likely after the size, it will be in an oval shaped indention with 4 numbers. the first 2 indicate the week and the last 2 will indicate the year.

Cool.

I'll look for it.

Thanks!

I'm afraid it might be REALLY old and would probably require me to get [STRIKE]bitch[/STRIKE] slapped.

98 SNAKE EATER said:
Ouch :frown:

Been there.....not fun :eek:

Yowza!!

Did the same thing happen to you???

BTW, here are the pics of tie tire, or what's left of it...

ForumRunner_20120513_185539.jpg

ForumRunner_20120513_185638.jpg

ForumRunner_20120513_185602.jpg
ForumRunner_20120513_185539.jpg
ForumRunner_20120513_185602.jpg
ForumRunner_20120513_185638.jpg

And the side wall...

ForumRunner_20120513_190109.jpg

ForumRunner_20120513_190245.jpg

Apparently, I can't upload pics from the phone, nor delete the one that is a dupe. :doh:

When I saw another Revo I saw the oval stamp with the date info, but did not see one on the blown tire.
ForumRunner_20120513_190109.jpg
ForumRunner_20120513_190136.jpg
ForumRunner_20120513_190245.jpg
ForumRunner_20120513_190301.jpg

Last edited:
TireRack.com said:
Tires Manufactured Before 2000
The Tire Identification Number for tires produced prior to 2000 was based on the assumption that tires would not be in service for ten years. While they were required to provided the same information as today’s tires, the week and year the tire was produced was contained in the last three digits. The 2 digits used to identify the week a tire was manufactured immediately preceded a single digit used to identify the year.
Looks like CHD414 means the production date was 41st week of a year ending in the 20th century ending "4"--so probably 1994 on that second example.
Is the blown tyre from Japan? Perhaps that explains the lake of a DOT-mandated date stamp.

Thanks for the post.

The tire did come from Japan, meaning it was on my truck, as with the other three, when it crossed the pond.

If what you (or Tire Rack) say(s) is true, that means the tire is on its 18th year.

So much for taking on Bridgestone for a law suit. ;)

I priced a local tire shop for another Dueller AT. They quoted me $250 (275/75/16) and $350 for the GY Duratracs(sp). :eek:

I found a guy who works in the next city over that had a Dueller (same size) and is in great shape for $15.

Gonna pick it up this week, slap it on, and call it good, for now.

When these tires get closer to wearing out, perhaps toward the end of the year, I am planning on picking up a set of Duratracs in 315's. But that'll also mean having to get a rear bumper with a tire carrier... :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom