How the heck do I get this out??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the drivers side front hard line 12mm bracker bolt. I have to get this out for the Metal Tech slider install. I have tried a ratcheting close-ended wrench, it had no room for travel due to the bracket angle interference, I then tried a 12mm socket on both a 3/8" drive swivel and then a 1/4" drive swivel and neither were shallow enough to fit between the frame and body. I am out of ideas here and I am dead in the water with this install without removing this bolt, but even more so I am concerned about how I will get it back in once there's less room with the slider leg bracket in there afterwards, not to mention accessing the hole behind the hard line in order to drill it out for a riv-nut install.

Am I just straight up missing something here, it is a Monday after all and I am on little sleep, but I can't figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

n7FPGi3.jpg

Last edited:

This is for the BudBuilt slider install but should still be useful for the KDSS lines you are working with. This was instrumental when I put on my BB sliders. Swivel adapters and ratcheting wrenches are needed.

Around 6:27 if you want to fast forward to it.

And yes, it is a huge pain in the $%^&*. I struggled to find the right tool and I have about every tool known to man. :)

Around 6:27 if you want to fast forward to it.

And yes, it is a huge pain in the $%^&*. I struggled to find the right tool and I have about every tool known to man. :)

So which tool is it that I need? Gearwrench Flex 13mm?

I struggled with it too! Even when using the flex head wrench, it still is no fun, but it is the only tool that worked for me.

For the WKO sliders, you have to put in a spacer for this bracket. I ran into the same problem and wound up using an open-end wrench at an angle to just barely engage the flats on the bolt. Nothing else would fit. I have off-sets, box-end, ratchet style and shallow sockets and a small open-end is all I could get on it. It was even more difficult to slide in the spacer.

Yea getting it out is one thing, I fear putting it back in with the new hardware and frame bracket spacing it out even further lol. Sometimes I ask myself why we even bother lol.

It'll be tough with the slider in the way but you can put a jack under the body and it will lift some due to the rubber mounts it is attached with. If you do this I'd recommend using a board to spread the forces out over a larger area.

That is a 12mm bolt (M8), not 13mm. A 12mm offset box wrench goes right on, I just went out and tried it.

PXL_20230313_214356986.jpg

Have to go at it from the rear, not the front. You get about 1/8 turn out of the wrench each time, so slow going. And I have BudBuilt sliders installed.

Funny thing is... That is my truck in the BudBuilt video. Guess what? I just found that bolt still loose! Tsk tsk... (it's tight now)

Yep 12 mm. And dang it all, I don't have wrenches shaped like that. Guess I need add to the collection.

I may be wrong, but I don't think there's a 13mm bolt head anywhere on the truck. Doesn't fit the JIS spec.

Correct, at least until you start adding aftermarket stuff. Not all companies take the care to follow JIS.. Slee is one example of doing it right. King dampers, for instance, don't bother with it. Which means keeping this in mind when planning out tool rolls for trips as mods are added.

Correct, at least until you start adding aftermarket stuff. Not all companies take the care to follow JIS.. Slee is one example of doing it right. King dampers, for instance, don't bother with it. Which means keeping this in mind when planning out tool rolls for trips as mods are added.
12mm of every variant, check.
14mm of every variant, check.
13mm? Tucked nice and snug, at home.

Fat fingers, I meant to type 12mm, good catch fellas. Deep offset 10-12mm box wrench ordered.

That is a 12mm bolt (M8), not 13mm. A 12mm offset box wrench goes right on, I just went out and tried it.

View attachment 3271513

Have to go at it from the rear, not the front. You get about 1/8 turn out of the wrench each time, so slow going. And I have BudBuilt sliders installed.

Funny thing is... That is my truck in the BudBuilt video. Guess what? I just found that bolt still loose! Tsk tsk... (it's tight now)
That is good to know the Craftsman will fit. I have a similar one from a different manufacturer that would just not quite do it. Looking at your picture, the off-set on the one I have is just a tad less. Wouldn't you know.... It seems as if every project I attempt, something like this happens just to make it as difficult as possible. Looks like another trip to Lowes so the wife can ask why I need more wrenches. Uh'm, shoes???

That is good to know the Craftsman will fit. I have a similar one from a different manufacturer that would just not quite do it. Looking at your picture, the off-set on the one I have is just a tad less. Wouldn't you know.... It seems as if every project I attempt, something like this happens just to make it as difficult as possible. Looks like another trip to Lowes so the wife can ask why I need more wrenches. Uh'm, shoes???

Sounds about right…
Just need this one last tool.

For example UCA through bolt torque. Yeah not happening correctly without a needle style flat and thin old school torque wrench.

I winged it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom