How the &^%$& do you change the fuel filter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Uncle Toy did a nice job of putting the fuel filter in a nice, unreachable spot under the manifold. :mad: I'm open to hints/tips/tricks! The two bolts are off, just can't get the wrench in there to loosen the end nuts :mad:

Ali

ps the fuel pump is disconnected, all pressure relieved.

Update -

going in through the driver side front wheel well. So far, managed to get the rear flare nut out. Should be able to do the front this way...hopefully!

Ok, all done. Boy, that was a peach of a job! I'm not predicting having to do this again for another long time! Thought about slotting the hole before finishing up but talked myself out of it! Now that I read your note, I should've done it for the next time! Oh well.

Of all the place to stick the filter, why there I'll never know!

Yeah Alia...I have a new fuel filter in the box waiting for replacement, but I am hesitant about screwing around with the fuel lines.

It's so far up under the intake manifold that I am worried about the corrosion, possibly on the fuel lines.

I'm wondering whether I should replace the fuel lines while I am under there.

I'm blasting both sides with PB before attempting this...hopefully this coming weekend.

Thanks for sharing by the way.
-onur
Akron, OH

So what’s the IH8MUD retentive 80-series owner interval for the fuel filter anyway? :confused:

Fuel filter replacement fun!

I'm attaching couple of pics for your amusement :D Even after depressurizing the fuel system, lots of fuel still came out. I didn't do a good job of capturing it all in a container as you can see.
p4170203.JPG
P4170204.JPG
P4170205.JPG

One more pic of the way I accessed the filter. I'm sure there are other ways but having the vehicle all the way down on the jack made it easier for me.
P4170206.JPG

I am doing my head gasket right not and don't think you would have to pinch the fuel line, I didn't even relieve the fuel pressure, just unbolted the lines with a rag around it??? Would be more worried about messing up that line with the fancy connection then losing some fuel on the cement. Just my opinion for next time..................

I've done it from underneath removing the DS wheel and also from the top side ! I took a 2x6 and padded the fenders, laid the board over the fenders and got up on top of it on my belly. I reached around the intake manifold and changed the filter out. Granted, this was the second time around and I sort of knew how all this worked. I have long arms too. YMMV.

I am currently changing fuel filters every 25-30k mi. on all my cars, or basically, every second year. The gas today is full of junk. Not rearly as clean as it used to be. I figure filters are cheap.

I couldn't figure out as to why the fuel just wouldn't stop coming out. I bet I didn't depressurize the system properly. I simply disconnected the fuel pump and tried to start the engine. I should've ran the engine first then killed it by disconnecting the fuel pump. Oh well, lesson learned!

I'm doing mine every 180,000 miles. As for dirty fuel, I think it helps to purchase top shelf fuel brands and at newer stations because after driving the 93 for 106,234 miles the fuel tank was completely free of dirt of any kind when I changed out the in tank prefilter as PM.

DougM

Alia...thanks for the pics. and the little text boxes. THis will be useful when I go for an attempt at this on the weekend. THe weather is getting nice enough for me to spend entire days on the truck (though the GF hates it).

SO, what is the concensus on the fuel situation: do we just pull the filter out and put a rag around the fuel line, or is there a better way to do this without getting a gallon of 87 on the drive way?

THanks.
-onur
AKron, OH

Onur,

You're welcome. Let me know if you run into any snags. Overall, the project is straightforward. You'll need a 7/8" wrench and 17mm for one side and 3/4" (I think) wrench and 17 mm for the other side. By using both wrenches at the same time, you'll have the easiest time loosening the fittings. If you run the engine then kill it by pulling the fuel pump connector, you prolly won't have as much fuel spillage as me.

Good luck,
Ali

JMHO, but do not pinch the fuel line, there is really no reason to and it might hurt the hose. That might be a little paranoid and it might not hurt the hose at all but i just go back to the fact that there really is no reason to do that just to avoid alittle fuel spillage (assuming yer not smoking under the banjo bolts as you crack em open!) Not sure if there is some simpler way to depressurize the fuel system but I just removed the gas cap and waited awhile with a #6 while i read the FSM. My lines spilled maybe 2 ounces tops and that was no worry for me.

As Christo mentioned, always crack the lines first with the filter still bolted in strong and I do think the slot that I 'cut' on my drill press (wanted extreme accuracy :flipoff2: ) made it much easier to replace the filter.

I'll probably do this preventive maintenance procedure every 50K. Although it did require some contortionism, I really did not think it was that tough to do. Actually replacing it was a snap, I went entirely from underneath and using the right extensions and wobbles, I was able to do it really easily.

One last thing I might have missed above is it is sometimes easier to loosely thread the banjo bolts back onto the filter prior to placing it under the intake plenum again. Just remember not to try to totally torque them down til the filter is firmly bolted in again. Also, while you are tightening them make sure the lines dont swivel to some tight stretch or up against something they touch. HTH. :cheers:

I just did this yesterday and it was a pain but, I'm not an epert wrench turner and all the jobs I attempt from this forum are tough for me the fist go around. I did find that a smaller ratchet was easier than the 1/2 inch. A srewdriver handle with ratchet head worked well for me also.

Buck

I am running nothing but 93 octane from Chervon or Shell or maybe Exxon. My comment is more that they add lots of junk to the gas to get the octane up. It's not as clean as it once was. Go look at some 100 LL aviation gas and compare that to the local gas station. No comparison ! Automotive gas used to be more like that. Now is stinks, literally ! I mean, it smells bad.

The shop that wrenches on my TLC when I can't also has a towing service. They change the fuel filter on that truck every 15 to 20k mi. for the same reason. It's a big GM with 200k on it and runs like.........a TLC ! Smooth. Again, filters are cheap and once you figure out the tricks to pulling it, you might as well practice every so often.

Whatever makes you sleep well at night.

alia176 said:
I couldn't figure out as to why the fuel just wouldn't stop coming out. I bet I didn't depressurize the system properly. I simply disconnected the fuel pump and tried to start the engine. I should've ran the engine first then killed it by disconnecting the fuel pump. Oh well, lesson learned!

Did you remove the gas cap? I disconnected the connector per the FSM instruction too, but that wasn't enough. Gas stopped coming out as soon as I removed the cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom